$10 million

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: $10 million

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:29 pm

I must be the only person (along with Yu Suzuki) who is extremely shocked and happy Shenmue III, the sequel to a game that came out nearly 15 years ago, entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the fastest game to reach $1 million on a crowd funding website and is on track to likely be the highest funded game of all time on Kickstarter.

This is a game that was never supposed to come out. Now we're upset they didn't set the goal at an unrealistic $10 million. They would've never gotten funded if they set the Kickstarter that high. You do realize if a project doesn't hit its goal it doesn't get ANY money, right?I have lots of faith they're going to end up with the money they need, whether it's crowd funded or sourced from investors.

Anyway, I'm starting to repeat myself. I just feel someone needs to combat this negativity before it sinks the project.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:34 pm

I think some people, for whatever reason, expected more. They thought that it would make millions and millions on kickstarter and the whole world would be throwing cash at it. So, now it's slowing down (despite being one of the most successful kickstarters of all time), those people are looking for something and someone to blame, e.g. "they're marketing it all wrong", "the advertising sucks", "there should be better reward tiers", "they should have asked for more money" etc.

I don't really get this line of thinking and I don't want to start any arguments, but it sounds really whiny and ungrateful to me.

Reprise has received 3 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter, mjq jazz bar
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:40 pm

I've ran in to a few people that have been massively whiny about the campaign. In some respects the Campaign Managers are dropping the ball, in so far as pushing to keep the hype alive, but there is actually much more overwhelming positivity. Even though many know we may not hit the goal we really desire, there is such a wonderful drive from everyone to push as hard as they can to make this game everything we can. And that is AMAZING, I do honestly believe the Shenmue community is the most rabid and passionate out of any other.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ImGladUmad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:45 pm

Reprise wrote:
ImGladUmad wrote:Shenmue has nothing cool going for it for new fans...Trailer sucked....They havn't shown the cool concepts of a life simulator, they havn't shown things that push the boundaries for games..

That's because Shenmue 3 isn't for new fans nor will it push the boundaries of games. Games have moved on in 14 years.

I'm sorry, but it will remain a niche game for niche audiences. And frankly, that's what I want. I want the game to be deep in Eastern culture, I want a game that allows me to partake in mundane and bizarre acts, like feeding kittens, wandering the streets (or countryside), engaging in random conversations with NPCs, collecting toy capsules, experiencing different weather transitions, having occasional fights with a deep combat mechanic etc.

If Shenmue was to appeal to anybody else but us, it would need to be Westernised, have loads more action, look like Skyrim and have a combat system that rips off the Batman Arkham series.

Why are you acting it was a niche game from the get go? Shenmue was the 4th best selling Dreamcast game, it actually beat NFL 2k.

Shenmue was a big game for the time and I don't considered it niche...A large reason why people loved it was the life simulator aspect of it that was never seen in games before in that scale/detail.

Please stop with your elitism...I never said to make Shenmue into Skyrim or Batman lol...BTW Shenmue made QTE popular which is perhaps the biggest thing associated with mainstream Westernised games.

I simply said if you want to get anywhere need Star Citizen numbers you need to show great trailers with great concepts....Star Citizen is doing what Shenmue 1 did.....Creating a life-simulator immersion in Space, thats why Star Citizen is so succesful. Shenmue did that in Modern Life, people were so impressed by shenmues life simulator immersion that it sold well for a dying dreamcast console.
ImGladUmad
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I do think the new game will push the boundaries of games. Not on a technical level, but Yu Suzuki is demonstrating that this game will not just be a cash in, and it will make a turn that you don't see in games today.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:53 pm

ImGladUmad wrote:
Reprise wrote:
ImGladUmad wrote:Shenmue has nothing cool going for it for new fans...Trailer sucked....They havn't shown the cool concepts of a life simulator, they havn't shown things that push the boundaries for games..

That's because Shenmue 3 isn't for new fans nor will it push the boundaries of games. Games have moved on in 14 years.

I'm sorry, but it will remain a niche game for niche audiences. And frankly, that's what I want. I want the game to be deep in Eastern culture, I want a game that allows me to partake in mundane and bizarre acts, like feeding kittens, wandering the streets (or countryside), engaging in random conversations with NPCs, collecting toy capsules, experiencing different weather transitions, having occasional fights with a deep combat mechanic etc.

If Shenmue was to appeal to anybody else but us, it would need to be Westernised, have loads more action, look like Skyrim and have a combat system that rips off the Batman Arkham series.

Why are you acting it was a niche game from the get go? Shenmue was the 4th best selling Dreamcast game, it actually beat NFL 2k.

Shenmue was a big game for the time and I don't considered it niche...A large reason why people loved it was the life simulator aspect of it that was never seen in games before in that scale/detail.

Please stop with your elitism...I never said to make Shenmue into Skyrim or Batman lol...BTW Shenmue made QTE popular which is perhaps the biggest thing associated with mainstream Westernised games.

I simply said if you want to get anywhere need Star Citizen numbers you need to show great trailers with great concepts....Star Citizen is doing what Shenmue 1 did.....Creating a life-simulator immersion in Space, thats why Star Citizen is so succesful. Shenmue did that in Modern Life, people were so impressed by shenmues life simulator immersion that it sold well for a dying dreamcast console.

I'm not acting like Shenmue was a niche game from the get go (in fact, I actually thought it was the second best selling DC game, not fourth).... I'm saying the opposite; that games have moved on since then but Shenmue won't and therefore it is now more of a niche game. It's not elitism, it's my opinion on what makes open world games popular these days. I PERSONALLY cannot imagine that even a better trailer would do much to appeal to those outside the already existing Shenmue community. That's just my opinion though.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ElephantStone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:02 pm

Reprise wrote:I don't really get this line of thinking and I don't want to start any arguments, but it sounds really whiny and ungrateful to me.

The marketing is shit, and saying that isn't whining or being ungrateful. I've donated $510 toward it already, and will gladly do more - so fuck off.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Vito » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:05 pm

ElephantStone wrote:
Reprise wrote:I don't really get this line of thinking and I don't want to start any arguments, but it sounds really whiny and ungrateful to me.

The marketing is shit, and saying that isn't whining or being ungrateful. I've donated $510 toward it already, and will gladly do more - so fuck off.

Same. The exact fucking same.
Vito
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Mafia

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:15 pm

ElephantStone wrote:

Perhaps, instead of so eloquently telling me to "fuck off", you could elaborate on what is so "shit" about the marketing and what you would like to be done? I personally thought that announcing it at E3 was a great way to promote the Kickstarter and get things going. Surely marketing and promotion costs money? And surely they have little money and hence why the Kickstarter is so important?

I don't know, I just think things could have been much worse. They've got Sony offering support and they used E3 to build strong momentum.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ElephantStone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Reprise wrote:Perhaps, instead of so eloquently telling me to "fuck off", you could elaborate on what is so "shit" about the marketing and what you would like to be done? I personally thought that announcing it at E3 was a great way to promote the Kickstarter and get things going. Surely marketing and promotion costs money? And surely they have little money and hence why the Kickstarter is so important?

I don't know, I just think things could have been much worse. They've got Sony offering support and they used E3 to build strong momentum.

I have absolutely no interest in arguing with you, so again - fuck off.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:17 pm

ElephantStone wrote:
Reprise wrote:Perhaps, instead of so eloquently telling me to "fuck off", you could elaborate on what is so "shit" about the marketing and what you would like to be done? I personally thought that announcing it at E3 was a great way to promote the Kickstarter and get things going. Surely marketing and promotion costs money? And surely they have little money and hence why the Kickstarter is so important?

I have absolutely no interest in arguing with you, so again - fuck off.

You're such a lovely person. I'm not even arguing.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Reprise wrote:
ElephantStone wrote:

Perhaps, instead of so eloquently telling me to "fuck off", you could elaborate on what is so "shit" about the marketing and what you would like to be done? I personally thought that announcing it at E3 was a great way to promote the Kickstarter and get things going. Surely marketing and promotion costs money? And surely they have little money and hence why the Kickstarter is so important?

You're the person calling others ungrateful for daring to have criticisms for how the Kickstarter is being handled. You kinda started it, and if you expected a measured, reasonable response to being called ungrateful or whiny in this context, you're being naive here.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ElephantStone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Reprise wrote:You're such a lovely person. I'm not even arguing.

Thanks, you're an annoying knob. Now fuck off.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Himuro wrote:
You're the person calling others ungrateful for daring to have criticisms for how the Kickstarter is being handled. You kinda started it, and if you expected a measured, reasonable response to being called ungrateful or whiny in this context, you're being naive here.

I said it (as in, the act) sounds whiny and ungrateful. I didn't say those people are any of those things (which are hardly outrageous insults that deserve that kind of response anyways).

I wasn't even talking about constructive criticism either. I think there has been some reasonable, objective and constructive criticism offered. But then there's also been some overwhelming and over the top negativity imo, which is mostly what I was referring to.

ElephantStone wrote:
Reprise wrote:You're such a lovely person. I'm not even arguing.

Thanks, you're an annoying knob. Now fuck off.

The only knob here is you.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:32 pm

Guys, guys, you're both beautiful. Seriously though, both of you take a time out and cool off. No need for the insults.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: ElephantStone, Reprise
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III