Andrew House Interview - Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

AV Watch interview with Andrew House (Sony, funding)

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:22 am

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/seri ... 07570.html

Can someone read/translate this? The Google translation is a bit choppy

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... rev=search

Behind-the-scenes "Shenmue III", "FF7" negotiations

- Three major title of which has been proposed from Japan is, by a press conference, that was greeted in each of a standing ovation, and Kangaibukaku I even for that had been seen at the venue, was the happy event.

Among them is the "Shenmue III". That, that SCE is between the capital of the development cooperation in terms,? Hiroshi Suzuki Will the thing that is under the condition that the studio, pulled to some extent limited contract, the financing Will the contract.

House: Yes. That is right.

When you supplement, Suzuki first, did you have an intention originally "Let's development and soliciting investment in Kickstarter." That it was a start. At the moment our in-house team heard it "This is interesting. somehow you want to help," and I was supposed to be.

But before that, "really whether there is that much of the fan base, let's make sure" and I was supposed to be. And, at the stage of achieving the purpose of the crowdfunding and support from Sony, it is the form of. Therefore, the console will be PS4 monopoly of the title.

But as the set-up, Suzuki Either way I've been trying to do in the Kickstarter. If we also I want to help. So, first "announcement" in this period of the press conference is what, I think it's the form of great assistance. And from where you can get to know the existence to everyone at this stage.

It is not in our power? It is a success of what the first place if there is much of the popular-force "Shenmue". Temporary, access is concentrated on Kickstarter, and I heard no longer lead. Amazing thing.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: AV Watch interview with Andrew House (Sony, funding)

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 am

I started reading this without realising it was google translated and thought what the fuck was wrong with my brain.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:29 am

south carmain wrote: I started reading this without realising it was google translated and thought what the fuck was wrong with my brain.

:lol:
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:31 am

looks like it could be really interesting if we had a proper translation.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:34 am

I'd honestly like to think they'd find a way of getting a lot of the stretch goals in if the KS doesn't reach the $10 million needed... [-o<
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 am

We should have a Japanese reading person translate this. Is Kiyuu still around?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:23 am

south carmain wrote: I started reading this without realising it was google translated and thought what the fuck was wrong with my brain.

Google translate? Now, are you really sure? Ssshhh, don't worry. No one wants to harm you.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Andrew House Interview - Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

Relevant bit translated by member of NeoGAF:

AV Watch interview with Andrew House

Q: About Shenmue 3, is Sony assisting with funds, and is that why it appeared in the conference? Do you have a contract with Mr. Suzuki's studio about assisting with a certain amount of funds?

A: Yes, that's exactly how it is.

To expand a little on that, first of all Mr. Suzuki was thinking "Let's develop this game with Kickstarter funds". That was the beginning. The moment some of the teams in our company heard that, they were all like "This is interesting, we want to help out in some way".

But before that could happen, we decided that we needed to find out whether there truly was the fanbase to justify that. And so, it was decided that if the crowdfunding was successful in meeting its target, Sony would assist in developing the title. And so, it became a PS4 console-exclusive title.

But anyway, first Mr. Suzuki was going to do the Kickstarter. So first of all, I think us letting Mr. Suzuki announce the Kickstarter on stage at the press conference the other day on its own was us supporting the project in a major way. It allows him to let everyone know that the project exists.

And their success is not our achievement you know? The Kickstarter has been a success because of the popularity and power of "Shenmue". Apparently Kickstarter was inaccessible for a time(After the announcement) because of the many people trying to access it. That's amazing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=213

This just got even more confusing. Sony ARE helping developing the game after all? For PS4 version only, I am guessing.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: Andrew House Interview - Sony Computer Entertainment CEO

Postby Thief » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:42 am

I think I have a headache.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:45 am

Guys, its easy. Sony will assist Shenmue 3 development and marketing in exchange for console exclusivity. But they will NOT be the primary budget source. That's "in our hands".
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BayStone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:47 am

Hmm... I'd really like to know in what capacity is Sony involved. Actually. :) What are they actually doing? Marketing, devkits, QA, what exactly? 'Cause if it's actual development things get a bit murky. :???:
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:48 am

But if they are to assist with development, that WOULD bring the cost of development down, depending on what Sony are actually help development with. Unless Suzuki is paying for Sony employees to work on it, then?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby johnvivant » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:48 am

its still too vague. i say we push for 10 million regardless.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:50 am

Henry Spencer wrote: But if they are to assist with development, that WOULD bring the cost of development down, depending on what Sony are actually help development with. Unless Suzuki is paying for Sony employees to work on it, then?

Hence the "some funding" remark by Sony.

It's not hard to understand, Sony is supporting the project, but they are not footing the bill. They are one out of multiple funding sources.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:58 am

Still nothing new here guys.
Sony ofcourse will be helping with some development, it's a PS4 game, they want it to run well on that system and its a console exclusive making it an important tool in competing with MS.
Adam Boyes has already stated it'll run through it's 3rd party support team.

The funding is also no different. Marketing is funding. They are doing a whole lot of that already for them. Thats a weight off actual development costs.
Anything after that Yu Suzuki and co still have to ask Sony for whatever they want and Sony would have to be nice partners about it or not.
Lets not take our chances. Nothing is set in stone but the kickstarter funds to YS Net.

Axm has received a thanks from: ShenmueTree
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III