Wasting money on smaller languages

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Wasting money on smaller languages

Postby fif » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:38 pm

Well it's really not needed but maybe it would be risky to lose some american buyers so well..
Do you watch movies with a voiceover ? Plus being badly played, and ruining the efforts of the actors and director, I think it lacks the cultural aspect. Language is like architecture in a way, it's part of the feeling of the country, so it's more immersive. Even if I would prefer not to read of course.
fif
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:40 pm

But will Shenmue 3 really attract newcomers to the series since the only way to play previous games is through owning an original Xbox or Dreamcast and those games are only in Japanese or English? Even if they did decide to do the HD ports, they wouldn't add in new languages to the HD ports. Let's say the final outcome is $6 million, you can see how quickly the money will go in no time at all. I seriously hope Sony changes their mind and invests more into it than what it sounds like right now, that's all I can say (like, if Sony were the ones who would do the localization of these languages, free of charge, for instance, that would help greatly).

...This is the dilemma we face here.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:44 pm

fif wrote: Well it's really not needed but maybe it would be risky to lose some american buyers so well..
Do you watch movies with a voiceover ? Plus being badly played, and ruining the efforts of the actors and director, I think it lacks the cultural aspect. Language is like architecture in a way, it's part of the feeling of the country, so it's more immersive. Even if I would prefer not to read of course.

I live in Germany and here, basically all foreign movies get dubbed when they're on TV. The market is big enough for dubs to be profitable. When I watch them on DVD, I usually go for the original voices with subtitles, so I'm right there with you, personally.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby fif » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Yes France too. But less and less, and you can more often choose language on TV now.
But if S3 just sells to fans, how can they make S4 then ? Another Kickstarter ? It may won't work as well. Then we'll wait 14 more years for the next one :shock:
fif

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:25 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: The thing is I am not sure if putting those subtitles in will get us that many extra buyers. I think, at least in Europe, the vast majority of people under 30 or 35 speak at least a little bit of English

In countries like Spain (and by extension latin america) and France literally everything is dubbed let alone subbed. Most young people do not speak English well enough there to play through a game like shenmue and besides releasing an English only game in those countries is assuring it's failure in said markets just like Yakuza games, Persona games and the original shenmue 1&2. To think that translations wouldn't be needed in most European countries is insane.

south carmain has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:34 am

I get your point, but right now, we've got other things to worry about. The Kickstarter just dropped by 40k $. A massive drop happens every time we approach a goal. I wonder why.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:36 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I get your point, but right now, we've got other things to worry about. The Kickstarter just dropped by 40k $. A massive drop happens every time we approach a goal. I wonder why.

I really hope there aren't people trolling :(
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmueilike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:25 am

not only the language traslate ,even the graphic of the game could keep the level of shenmue 1 2 to save the money for more world create ,the graphic is not the core of shenmue ,the core is the spirit and soul .
shenmueilike

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:43 am

south carmain wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: I still think that there are loads of fans out there who would be willing to make a quality translation for free, just as it happened for Shenmue 1 and 2...

Fan translations tend to remain very niche and pirated.

Well Yu Suzuki said he wanna make Shenmue 3 together with the fans - and making a game with the fans also seems very niche to me...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki_san » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:03 am

Subtitles are cheap (hell I'd do Portuguese subtitles for free, I don't think they should worry about english voices for now though, maybe to that as DLC or something, the most important thing is to get the full game out first as good as it can be.
Hazuki_san

Steam: Motokeiru
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby edgecrusher01 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 am

The kickstarter has been updated to say the game will be in English and Japanese.

edgecrusher01 has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
edgecrusher01
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:13 am

Well, we got our answer. The smaller languages won. It's in the FAQ already. They're even thinking about adding Portuguese and Chinese.

Shenmue 3 will be available in English and Japanese, and since the Stretch Goals have been reached, German, French, Italian and Spanish languages will be added as well. We have received many requests to add Portuguese and Chinese among other languages as well. We are hopeful that funding levels will allow for further languages. Should additional languages be added, there will be an announcement made on the Update page.

Nothing we can do about it. Some Mod please close this hornet's nest down. :D
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 am

Master Kyodai wrote:
south carmain wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: I still think that there are loads of fans out there who would be willing to make a quality translation for free, just as it happened for Shenmue 1 and 2...

Well Yu Suzuki said he wanna make Shenmue 3 together with the fans - and making a game with the fans also seems very niche to me...

He also wants shenmue 3 to be a success so that shenmue 4 can happen so I don't think wants his game to be considered niche in some of the biggest markets of the world. That's just my opinion though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:24 am

south carmain wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote:
south carmain wrote:

He also wants shenmue 3 to be a success so that shenmue 4 can happen so I don't think wants his game to be considered niche in some of the biggest markets of the world. That's just my opinion though.

Ys shares your opinon on this one.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 am

Hazuki_san wrote: Subtitles are cheap (hell I'd do Portuguese subtitles for free, I don't think they should worry about english voices for now though, maybe to that as DLC or something, the most important thing is to get the full game out first as good as it can be.

I have a question on this one. Can't most Portuguese speakers read Spanish anyway?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III