Wasting money on smaller languages

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Wasting money on smaller languages

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I'm kind of surprised there isn't a tier for Chinese or Korean considering how they were promoting Shenmue Online...feel sorry for that fanbase a bit.

Korea have a ban on Japanese products and China's censorship laws are hard to get through. Though there is a campaign to get Chinese subs in to it.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BayStone » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Seraph87 wrote:
BayStone wrote: You know, now that I think about it, the 400k sort of bothers me. I'd really like to know how they came to this conclusion. Simple subtitles shouldn't really be this expensive. What am I missing here.

High quality translations can get a lot more expensive than you think, even without voice over. There's the agency, the translators and the reviewers that have to be paid and the subtitles have to be properly incorporated into the game which also takes some time. The developer also constantly needs to provide information and context for the translators for difficult and unclear passages (which is a problem with most clients, I'm experiencing it myself regualarly when working on texts).

Yeah, this is I agree with, well, most of it, :) but 100k still sounds too much for me. How much are these people getting payed? :D

EDIT: I guess a god damn lot.
Last edited by BayStone on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BayStone
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I'm kind of surprised there isn't a tier for Chinese or Korean considering how they were promoting Shenmue Online...feel sorry for that fanbase a bit.

I think the problem is as I said before. Now I can only speak from my personal experience when I lived in China but from what I've seen NO Chinese person buys a genuine copy of a game. Software market in China is almost 100% pirate only and the pirating guys do their own Chinese subtitles.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Guess I was the only one who remembers how surprised we were when Shenmue came back as Shenmue Online as Suzuki was talking about how big the fanbase in Korea and China was...I was like, "what?"
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:51 pm

The more people the game can reach the better imo.

You would be surprised at how many people can't speak english in Italy.

Oh and stretch goals arent tied to the amount the feature costs, i learned that with bloodstained campaign.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Seraph87 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:56 pm

BayStone wrote:
Seraph87 wrote:
BayStone wrote: You know, now that I think about it, the 400k sort of bothers me. I'd really like to know how they came to this conclusion. Simple subtitles shouldn't really be this expensive. What am I missing here.

High quality translations can get a lot more expensive than you think, even without voice over. There's the agency, the translators and the reviewers that have to be paid and the subtitles have to be properly incorporated into the game which also takes some time. The developer also constantly needs to provide information and context for the translators for difficult and unclear passages (which is a problem with most clients, I'm experiencing it myself regualarly when working on texts).

Yeah, this is I agree with, well, most of it, :) but 100k still sounds too much for me. How much are these people getting payed? :D

EDIT: I guess a god damn lot.

I can't complain, some projects are really well paid. :)
But I wouldn't take the 400k too seriously, I think it's just a more or less random number like in other Kickstarter projects when it says "100,000$ more and you'll get another character" or something like that. I can't imagine it is possible to perfectly calculate stretch goal costs so early.

Seraph87 has received a thanks from: BayStone
Seraph87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Esppiral » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I seriously think they should drop those German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles from the game. Why would we waste our money on those small language translations

Do you realize, that Spanish for example, is spoken by more people than english? Why alienate a huge portion of potential targets?

Also your post is so selfish...
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:05 pm

It also depends on if they are planning to translate from Japanese or English, translating from the Japanese into the other language would be more expensive (duh!).
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:08 pm

Esppiral wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: I seriously think they should drop those German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles from the game. Why would we waste our money on those small language translations

Do you realize, that Spanish for example, is spoken by more people than english? Why alienate a huge portion of potential targets?

As for native speakers, yes, Spanish has more. As for people having a good command of the language and therefor being able to play a video game in it, no. English is much bigger.

Then again, how is my post selfish? I don't get it. I want them to kick out my own language as well. :)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I seriously think they should drop those German, French, Spanish and Italian subtitles from the game.

And while we're at it, drop the English subtitles too.

Too much of a waste. It should all go to game development. We'll all have to buy our own Japanese translation books or software to trek through it.

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Arm Wrestler, Esppiral
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 pm

There will be an English voice over, so yeah. I'd be fine without subtitles. :-)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Esppiral wrote:

As for native speakers, yes, Spanish has more. As for people having a good command of the language and therefor being able to play a video game in it, no. English is much bigger.

Then again, how is my post selfish? I don't get it. I want them to kick out my own language as well. :)

Because you don't bother to consider those who don't speak English. Driving out your own language doesn't mean much when you speak the language it will be released in anyway.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: Arm Wrestler, Esppiral
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Nobody at Sega has ever bothered to consider people who don't speak English regarding Shenmue so far :lol: , so why start with the third game? I don't think the first two games lost a lot of buyers because they were English only.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 pm

I am German myself and I'd also have voted to not burn money on translations. Correct me if I am wrong, but i think the original games also didn't come with a German (Or italian or whatever) translation. At least my "german" Shenmue 2 had Japanese audio and english subtitles. As far as i remember only Ryos diary was translated to German which was obviously pointless if the rest in the game is English.

I'd have loved it to see these 400,000 bucks being spend on better stuff and just release the english sub file with the game so fans can translate them themselves - as they did for the original Shenmue 1 and 2...

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I don't think the first two games lost a lot of buyers because they were English only.

Growing up in France I can tell you this is completely false. A lot of gamers there just straight up passed up on it because well they wouldn't be able to understand anything in it.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III