Wasting money on smaller languages

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Wasting money on smaller languages

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:08 pm

If enough people ask for the poll, they will do it. If it's only me, then they won't. If we shall have the poll you are free to vote as you wish.

As you have seen in this thread, I am not the only backer who wants to drop those languages.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

lol sure. go ahead then.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:12 pm

I've already suggested the poll. But don't worry, I'm not gonna draw out my $, if they tell me they'd like to keep those languages. I'm on your side, dude. :) Might even play it with German sub just for fun, since I might have to help funding the subs anyway. ;-)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm

I have a question though. Let's say theoretically they accept your poll and loads on English speakers vote to remove said languages in exchange of a different stretchgoal. Considering that the future of the series is dependent on 3's success (yu suzuki said the story will not end with 3 and if 3 isn't a success then there will be no 4) do you really think it would be worth losing out on multiple considerable markets just for something added to the gameplay?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Rakim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Learn to speak American or you can't play Shenmue you damn terrorists.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Kenny
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:25 pm

I still think that there are loads of fans out there who would be willing to make a quality translation for free, just as it happened for Shenmue 1 and 2...

Master Kyodai has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Hyo Razuki
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: I still think that there are loads of fans out there who would be willing to make a quality translation for free, just as it happened for Shenmue 1 and 2...

Fan translations tend to remain very niche and pirated.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:29 pm

This is starting to get ridiculous. Please just let Yu continue his original plan and don't mess with it.
Even just showing that you don't like how money is going to subtitles is bad. Please stop this nonsense.
We all want to pull together to get Yu Suzuki's vision done, right? RIGHT?

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: south carmain, Yokosuka
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:32 pm

That's a good question. The thing is that it is very hard to determine how many more buyers a subtitle in German, Italian etc. would actually get for the game. If the lack of those subtitles would actually jeopardize the overall success of the Shenmue series, I would of course keep them. I've put hundreds of Dollars into funding this game (as you probably have done as well). Why would I risk its success?

The thing is I am not sure if putting those subtitles in will get us that many extra buyers. I think, at least in Europe, the vast majority of people under 30 or 35 speak at least a little bit of English, so if they really want to play an English language game, they will play it even though their English might be very pour.

Another option worth looking into might be getting it done by the fans, free of charge and then put it out as a patch, or if the game is sold as a digital copy anyway just put it in there. I'm just not convinced right now, that they are putting that money in the right place.

If they were to do that poll and a lot of backers would vote in favor of the other languages, then of course I would say that's money well spent.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ys » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:I've asked Ys about that on Kickstarter just now and suggested that they might do a poll about it among the backers. I do see the point of a lot of people on the forum that there is still a huge (potential) audience in those countries who don't read English.

There's often heated debate on gaming sites here when a game gets delayed due to localization for other PAL countries. So you're not alone :P

I'm sure funds will get reallocated since localization doesn't cost that much usually. Maybe they could have just laid out the subtitle goals with some lesser gaps in between? That way, they could make it faster to stuff like the skill tree system. But I really don't think that they would change this now since the goals have been reached already. It would look bad to change this afterwards and I assume that quite a few people would withdraw money. They could instead focus on trying to get more people to move from 29 to 60 USD.

I was thinking though. Many people speak English in Belgium, The Netherlands and Scandinavia. But what about Eastern Europe or Greece and Portugal? As of now, the only subtitles are the "traditional" PAL - ones. I guess it's not cost effective for smaller countries? Although, I remember the Greeks getting subtitles in Uncharted 3 after a petition.
Japanese being included is more obvious of course. It's cheaper for the development team and easier to manage due to actors and studios being nearer.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:10 pm

Rakim wrote:Learn to speak American or you can't play Shenmue you damn terrorists.

You can ridicule this all you want, but if they're going to be spending hundred of thousands of Kickstarter money on paying for localization through 3rd parties, then no offence, I'd rather the money go elsewhere, too, especially since the budget will be extremely tight.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby fif » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:20 pm

This is stupid..
Personnaly I don't care. But even if a lot of people speak english, a lot don't, or speak it partly. So why debate ? It's a game based on conversations, it's all right for shooting games or whatever, but there it would be stupid, as it was for Shenmue 2 in France, one of the main reason of its failure, cause it had a huge critical acclaim. And video games are for kids too. And we never know with good critics and hype new players might try.

What we can argue on is the english voiceover (but i don't think its already planned ?), cause This is really expensive, and cause Ryo is a fucking japanese guy in fuckin China and the game deals with Eastern culture, so why bother ? But American are so used to have all in english that they're used to remakes instead of subtitles..
Last edited by fif on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fif
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:22 pm

I like the idea but this is too late guys ! Like I said before, what about the donors thinking that local sub was definitive ? That could give even more terrible publicity to the campaign and we don't need it at all.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:25 pm

English voice over is planned. A friend of mine asked Ys that question earlier this week and got their answer. However, they have not found a cast yet. My friend asked them specifically about Corey Marshall. But there WILL be English dub and they're not even putting it in the stretch goals, it seems.

I personally prefer the PAL version of Shenmue 2 on DC over the Xbox version.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Rakim wrote:Learn to speak American or you can't play Shenmue you damn terrorists.

You can ridicule this all you want, but if they're going to be spending hundred of thousands of Kickstarter money on paying for localization through 3rd parties, then no offence, I'd rather the money go elsewhere, too, especially since the budget will be extremely tight.

Yeah I understand how you feel. They could fund two or three more stretch goals with that money. However Yu probably, and rightfully so, feels like he owes it to these European fans who have been vocal for the last 14 years. So it only makes sense for him to prioritize letting them in on the experience even if it ends up being a somewhat streamlined version gameplay-wise.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III