After Shenmue III (Yu Suzuki's comments on IV)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

After Shenmue III (Yu Suzuki's comments on IV)

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:50 pm

Yu Suzuki made an interesting statement on his reddit Q&A:

"Shenmue IV is contingent on fans liking Shenmue III. “If the fans are not happy with 3 there will not be a 4. So I please hope we can together make this game the best it can be.”"

Now as he also said that Shenmue III will complete the story of Shenmue that really got my mind going this morning. What could he mean by this?

So I mulled it over and a thought occurred to me. The original Shenmue story could be completed. However There may be a part II to the whole story or legend per se that we never heard of. Then I thought for a bit more and came up with a theory. Perhaps the Shenmue story spans farther than Ryo. Afterall it did technically start with his father Iwao as far as we are able to look back for now. So what could come next?

I then got a vision in my head. Perhaps the story continues with Ryo's future son assuming Ryo returns to Japan to pick up his life after this saga has ended for him. Maybe he takes both the mirrors back with him to Japan. Maybe history repeats itself in the fashion that someone else comes looking for those mirrors, in present day (by that point could be 2020+) Ryo teaches his son jujitsu and you play as his son in Yokosuka 30+ years after 1986. See what has changed after all those years. Also had a far out idea of the power of the mirrors causing the antagonist to go back in time to 1986 to kill Ryo to stop events from occurring and Ryo's son follows him to stop him from altering the past. Traversing two different Yokosukas. At that point I was pacing the room with tons of scenes in my head. Like imagine a motorcycle chase of the antagonist trying to stop Ryo from saving Nozomi, all without past Ryo knowing.

Really excites the mind to think of where this series could go. Tons of possibilities. I think it's a given that I and II will be ported to PS4 download prior to December 2017 to build a following. Sony would be foolish if they let that opportunity slip through their fingers.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Re: After Shenmue III (Yu Suzuki's comments on IV)

Postby Locke_cole » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Maybe he meant, regardless of what happens he wont end 3 on a huge ass cliffhanger. Kind of like when shows arn't sure if they will get renewed so they do a kinda-sorta series finale....and then if they are renewed, they just keep the good times rolling.

Shenmue 1 kinda ended on a cliffhanger I guess? but you knew we was going to china in the next game. Shenmue 2 ends in a way your just like ...what the fuck?
Last edited by Locke_cole on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:56 pm

No, it will be about resolving the whole "vengeance" arc. Suzuki said that this aspect will fall by the wayside in later chapters, so it seems more a case of Shenmue III ends what we assume is the main story, but it turns out it's actually - if there is a Shenmue IV - about Ryo's journey from impatient, reckless boy to wise man/martial arts master. Or summat like that, anyway.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:57 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, it will be about resolving the whole "vengeance" arc. Suzuki said that this aspect will fall by the wayside in later chapters, so it seems more a case of Shenmue III ends what we assume is the main story, but it turns out it's actually - if there is a Shenmue IV - about Ryo's journey from impatient, reckless boy to wise man/martial arts master. Or summat like that, anyway.

I know that's been mentioned before, but is that really a compelling storyline for a whole game? Ryo maturing? Maybe in the last parts of the game, I just can't see that as a whole game.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Rakim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 pm

Jeff wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: No, it will be about resolving the whole "vengeance" arc. Suzuki said that this aspect will fall by the wayside in later chapters, so it seems more a case of Shenmue III ends what we assume is the main story, but it turns out it's actually - if there is a Shenmue IV - about Ryo's journey from impatient, reckless boy to wise man/martial arts master. Or summat like that, anyway.

I know that's been mentioned before, but is that really a compelling storyline for a whole game? Ryo maturing? Maybe in the last parts of the game, I just can't see that as a whole game.

Yes because that(MiTT3NZ theory) at the very least implies he fights and kills or reconciles with Lan Di.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm

You're thinking along the wrong lines though. It's not just gonna be a case of "play Ryo ageing", other shit will happen. Shenmue I was about tracking down Lan Di, but it didn't play out like a search, it was more of a case of Ryo taking down the Mad Angels.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Yeah exactly. There would be some kind of conclusion which the fans would like around chapter 9. But I remember him also mentioning that we would find out more about the Chi You Men beyond that.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm hoping his time around Shenhua and nature mellows him. Even Xiuying couldn't convince him that revenge is reckless.
Last edited by Sonoshee on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Innit. What kind of a protagonist would Ryo be if he kills Lan Di, then just leaves the ChiYou Men to continue with their operations?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby santino » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:20 pm

whats up jeff?? i like the ideas thrown out there. imgaine a prequel game centered around iwao, a spinoff game centered around ren. theres so much cool stuff that could be done after shenmue 3

santino has received a thanks from: Jeff
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:22 pm

People seem to forget Shenmue is Akira's Story. From the concept art Yu Suzuki showed about the 11 chapters, you can see 3 ryos/akiras:

- the first one with the jeans look.
- the second with the green outfit we see in the kickstater page.
- final, full virtua fighter akira mode.

It seems the Lan Di story arc is resolved in the next 2 chapters. So he probably will give us closure on that
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:01 pm

I don't think we'll see the end of the quest for revenge in the next videogame.

I think he's planning on doing 5 games.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

santino wrote: whats up jeff?? i like the ideas thrown out there. imgaine a prequel game centered around iwao, a spinoff game centered around ren. theres so much cool stuff that could be done after shenmue 3

Hey Santino! Whoda thought I'd get out of Vermont and am now in your old stomping ground in LI. :)
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:51 pm

Perhaps Lan Di has been the catalyst for Ryo to track Lan Di, in search of vengeance, but turns out, hes just a lackey who lost his father, like Ryo, at the manipulative hands of the Chiyoumen.

Their Tentai leader is really the one who is attempting to gain the treasures of the Quing Dynasty, had Zhao Longshun murdered, made Lan Di believe Iwao killed him over a fight about mirrors and thats where Shenmue 1 begins.

If Tentai gets the mirrors, despite knowing that Chiyou will resurrect itself as a consequence, he is that drunk on power that Tentai feels he can control it, and will enhance his vision as the king of all time or some shit. Either way, it doesnt have to end with Ryo v Lan Di.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Shenmuehua » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Wouldn t Shenmue IV be the five chapters he wrote years after the 11 chapters?

I always thought this. But now I think I maybe misinterprated
Shenmuehua
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III