Some serious backlash incoming in re: S3 KS campaign

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Some serious backlash incoming in re: S3 KS campaign

Postby south carmain » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 am

Sonoshee wrote:
ConanTheKing wrote:
Reprise wrote: Once again, why are journalists taking those quotes from Sony and assuming that means they are funding the development!? No where in those quotes does it say anything like that! It's heartbreaking to see something I've longed for for so long, a game that means so much to me, have its campaign stifled and sabotaged by misinformation and cynicism.

And this gaming journalism is going to kill Shenmue 3 when it convinces everyone that Kickstarter is not needed and that Sony is going to fund everything. Despite this belief Sony will fund it all doesn't the lack of a PS4 physical release suggest maybe it's genuinely an indie game?

Nowhere, anywhere, has it been said there won't be a PS4 physical release.

Nowhere does it say there will be one either.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:22 am

south carmain wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:
ConanTheKing wrote:
Reprise wrote: Once again, why are journalists taking those quotes from Sony and assuming that means they are funding the development!? No where in those quotes does it say anything like that! It's heartbreaking to see something I've longed for for so long, a game that means so much to me, have its campaign stifled and sabotaged by misinformation and cynicism.

And this gaming journalism is going to kill Shenmue 3 when it convinces everyone that Kickstarter is not needed and that Sony is going to fund everything. Despite this belief Sony will fund it all doesn't the lack of a PS4 physical release suggest maybe it's genuinely an indie game?

Nowhere, anywhere, has it been said there won't be a PS4 physical release.

Nowhere does it say there will be one either.

I never said there would be or there wouldn't be. I am just sick and tired of people who are reluctant to pledge just because of this.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:33 am

Most game "journalists" think Kickstarter should be used only by their horrible indie friends for their horrible indie games.

Thankfully nobody reads anything by game journalists any more.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:25 am

We need to bombard the comment section and call them out on their misinformation.

Kenny wrote: Who cares?

Are you dense? This can damage the campaign.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:36 am

On the plus side, there was about a $3k increase in pledge totals yesterday from the day before. Hopefully this means a steady rate of about $70-90k per day til the last few days of the campaign. Not bad considering I had it at about $30-50k.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby LucBu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 am

Himuro wrote: We need to bombard the comment section and call them out on their misinformation.

Kenny wrote: Who cares?

Are you dense? This can damage the campaign.

Completely agree with you Himuro. We should be stemming false information in whatever form we find it. Comment sections, down votes and upvotes, all of it is another step. And we need to make thousands of steps.

Truth is these outlets are a lot more important than one or two backers, because media reaches thousands and is potentially hundreds if not thousands of backers.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShinChuck » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:51 am

Journalism, gaming or otherwise, is in a sorry state at the moment. One (or a few) journalists read "funding the development" into a few sentences that don't say that, the rest of the media picks up on it, and now it's headlines and treated as if it's fact.

Few journalists dig into the investigative side of things anymore, they just parrot what's already being reported. :/
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:49 am

A couple months back we had a pretty in depth discussion about Kick starter here. I stated my dislike for this option of game development and even though we are getting shenmue 3, I still dont like kick starter, BUT we are getting fucking shenmue 3. Obviously this is a special game I would throw some money towards to help support, so its a bit of unique situation and I think this is going to be one of the best and most well deserved kick starters of all time. A game and series like this is what you give a kick starter, this one actually deserves to be fan funded/backed if thats what it takes.

We could moan and bitch about sony or who ever not just picking up the tab for development but for the past 10+ years no dev or publisher has wanted to even discuss shenmue because of its crazy high development costs and questions on whether you can actually turn a profit with it etc, at least that was the initial reaction for the first few years of silence surrounding the series, and I think shenmue kinda got swept under the rug and cast off in a category of untouchable games in the collective game industry mind set and forgotten about for many years.

So taking all this into consideration, I dont think we have much room to complain. Take this series and looks at its history, and take all the information we know about it up to this point, and you can understand why giving this game the green light could be a huge risk for a potential dev or publisher. The last game came out 14 years ago for christ sake, there is some major dusting off and market gathering information they would need to truly gauge the demand for Shenmue 3. At the same time though, IF the demand is as vast as it potentialy could be, there is an opportunity for the game to be very profitable, it was the most requested game to sony, and it has a huge cult following, it was a big 50/50 for anyone.

But the right people still stepped up to make it happen, and I think as fans who played the games when they first came out, and have been waiting this entire time wondering and hoping if the game would ever see the light of day, that we really cant be too upset about the fact that we have to kick starter the game into existence. I think we should be more appreciative that someone is even giving it a chance, we could have easily continued to have had nothing and it would have been same old same old. But the catalyst has been put in motion, and for the fans its like why not help achieve what we have been waiting so long for?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ys » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:51 am

I've seen this backlash on several sites and comment sections the last couple of days. Forbes was among the first that I saw. The worst part is that no one actually really knows so the criticism is based on assumptions. Which unfortunately can affect the campaign. What I just don't get is that people actively try to sabotage. I mean, I dislike lots of games but I'm not making any effort to ruin it for those fans. I just vote with my wallet.

MiTT3NZ wrote: On the plus side, there was about a $3k increase in pledge totals yesterday from the day before. Hopefully this means a steady rate of about $70-90k per day til the last few days of the campaign. Not bad considering I had it at about $30-50k.

I just saw that and it surprised me a bit. I thought that we would be having a constant decline until a new stretch goal got announced. Or a new trailer or something.

ShinChuck wrote:Journalism, gaming or otherwise, is in a sorry state at the moment. One (or a few) journalists read "funding the development" into a few sentences that don't say that, the rest of the media picks up on it, and now it's headlines and treated as if it's fact.

Few journalists dig into the investigative side of things anymore, they just parrot what's already being reported. :/

True. They happened to talk about that last week on the radio here. It's much easier to copy the news and it generates more money. Who cares if it's true? Being fast and on top of trends is what counts.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Himuro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:01 am

ys wrote:
[color=#80BFFF]I just saw that and it surprised me a bit. I thought that we would be having a constant decline until a new stretch goal got announced. Or a new trailer or something.

It doesn't surprise me, friend. The Reddit AMA was on the front page a good amount of time yesterday with over 2000 upvotes.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:06 am

Amir wrote: They're just trolling/generating clickbait. Some godawful Gizmodo article comes up in Google News for Shenmue which honestly reads like it was written by a barely literate 12-year-old. I get why some people dislike Shenmue, and I've seen well-articulated pieces expressing such thoughts, but this was just awful, obviously got pass editorial since they knew it would make people angry, which is always good for revenue.

Just let it slide, guys, if you get angry then you've let them win.

DON'T VISIT THESE SITES. You'll only be encouraging them.

The most disappointing thing about that Gizmondo article is that it was written by Gary Cutlack, who is a writer I have a lot of respect for. He wrote for the UK's official Sega Saturn Magazine which, along with Mean Machines and CVG, is pretty much the best games magazine ever and then went on to run the hilarious satirical Sega fansite UK Resistance.

I really thought he'd be on the light side for this, not churning out this kind of abominable Jeff Gerstmann style hack work.
Pogogacy

Postby Amir » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:05 pm

Pogogacy wrote:
Amir wrote: They're just trolling/generating clickbait. Some godawful Gizmodo article comes up in Google News for Shenmue which honestly reads like it was written by a barely literate 12-year-old. I get why some people dislike Shenmue, and I've seen well-articulated pieces expressing such thoughts, but this was just awful, obviously got pass editorial since they knew it would make people angry, which is always good for revenue.

Just let it slide, guys, if you get angry then you've let them win.

DON'T VISIT THESE SITES. You'll only be encouraging them.

The most disappointing thing about that Gizmondo article is that it was written by Gary Cutlack, who is a writer I have a lot of respect for. He wrote for the UK's official Sega Saturn Magazine which, along with Mean Machines and CVG, is pretty much the best games magazine ever and then went on to run the hilarious satirical Sega fansite UK Resistance.

I really thought he'd be on the light side for this, not churning out this kind of abominable Jeff Gerstmann style hack work.

I honestly thought a teenager had written it, not a grown man. Sad to see an adult stoop to childish teasing and insults.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm

BlueMue wrote: Just wrote to GamePro.de, one of the bigger German gaming news sites. Asked them to fix up what they messed up.

When you google for Shenmue III their news shows up right on the front page, it even used to be in the top spot two days ago. They actually encouraged backers to ask for their money back, because the "Kickstarter is a fraud".
I haven't looked into the bad english articles that haven't been written yet, but I'd be shocked if they are THAT negative too.

I've been doing the same - writing to Eurogamer and Gamespot and they actually replied and sent out the updated articles just today for S3! So it is worth it for people to write to them and be nice about it, since some of them will actually listen.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Amir » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:28 pm

Some of the backlash is justified, though, the obfuscation at the beginning of the Kickstarter and its poor planning and execution in general does deserve criticism.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:31 pm

We aren't writing to them in reference of that, it's about the misinformation and not updating about the Kickstarter through what Suzuki said on Reddit ($10 million etc).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Previous

Return to Shenmue III