TGS 2015 - Too Early?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: TGS 2015 - Too Early?

Postby Kiske » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 am

Talking about TGS and SEGA.

We know that at the moment Ys Net is the editor of Shenmue 3, but still, that's not carved in stone isn't?

In your opinion, is there a remote possibility that SEGA, in light of how well the Kickstarter did, could reconsider its position about Shenmue and why not, make a deal with Yu Suzuki for the edition of Shenmue 3?
After all, SEGA showed some signs of goodwill towards hardcore fans lately AND gave Suzuki San the green light for Shenmue 3 production.

I know it's a lot of speculation, but since the KS annoucement... nothing is impossible anymore :king:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Three Blades » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 am

I'm thinking I might go to TGS also just for the hell of it. I doubt there will be anything Shenmue related, but I'm still hoping that Sega might have something mind blowing to show... For the first time in over a decade.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Monkei » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 am

Kiske wrote:In your opinion, is there a remote possibility that SEGA, in light of how well the Kickstarter did, could reconsider its position about Shenmue and why not, make a deal with Yu Suzuki for the edition of Shenmue 3?

I don't think so, and I actually want them to stay away from it forever, to be honest. With Sony already being involved there's hardly any room for them anyway, I think. I want them to give us the HD versions and then piss off into the sunset.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Shibiryo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:51 am

This year's TGS looks it'll be the biggest one yet.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby fittersau » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:28 am

I think the only involvement is SEGA's Haruki Satomi granting Yu Suzuki the Shenmue 3 license. That's it. The use of the original Shenmue characters, settings and assets. I think besides the granting of rights for say a small royalty fee of 2-5% profits say, there won't be any involvement.

SEGA are within their rights to extract any profits from a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD release. They would at the very least contract the work out to their existing Dreamcast porters who did Crazy Taxi, Bass FIshing etc. However those contractors would simply be reworking the engine to render at 1080 resolution while no work would be involved in updating the textures or models to a higher resolution. At this stage, I'd be happy with a low cost HD port so that those who missed out on Shenmue 1 & 2 on the Dreamcast can play these games before Shenmue 3. However my preference would be a full HD Remaster of the likes of FFVII remake or the UE4 examples of NoconKid. What would be the return on investment of a full HD remaster for SEGA? Probably not enough for to turn a good profit. So very doubtful they'd commit to such a project. If we ever see a full HD remaster, I think it will be fan made.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:13 am

fittersau wrote: I think the only involvement is SEGA's Haruki Satomi granting Yu Suzuki the Shenmue 3 license. That's it. The use of the original Shenmue characters, settings and assets. I think besides the granting of rights for say a small royalty fee of 2-5% profits say, there won't be any involvement.

SEGA are within their rights to extract any profits from a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD release. They would at the very least contract the work out to their existing Dreamcast porters who did Crazy Taxi, Bass FIshing etc. However those contractors would simply be reworking the engine to render at 1080 resolution while no work would be involved in updating the textures or models to a higher resolution. At this stage, I'd be happy with a low cost HD port so that those who missed out on Shenmue 1 & 2 on the Dreamcast can play these games before Shenmue 3. However my preference would be a full HD Remaster of the likes of FFVII remake or the UE4 examples of NoconKid. What would be the return on investment of a full HD remaster for SEGA? Probably not enough for to turn a good profit. So very doubtful they'd commit to such a project. If we ever see a full HD remaster, I think it will be fan made.

I was thinking that there may be a middleground option. If they still have all the uncompressed textures then it might be possible to use them and that could really make a huge difference combined with 1080p rendering, antialiasing and maybe some use of modern lighting. Or at least they could update some of the textures that look more blurry, skyboxes etc. They could add minor tweaks like more vegetation. We also know that alot of the music (maybe all?) exists in high quality versions (many of them included in the OST cd) with better sound/instruments and that would be very nice to have in an updated version. Obviously a full remake in UE4 would be awesome but then there's always the risk that the artistic quality won't live up to the original games.

My ideal Shenmue HD:

60 fps
1080p
english and japanese VO
updated textures
HQ music
minor graphical tweaks, lighting, shadows etc.
cut content included (if it fits with the pacing and story)
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Shibiryo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:17 am

Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:45 am

Kiske wrote: Talking about TGS and SEGA.

We know that at the moment Ys Net is the editor of Shenmue 3, but still, that's not carved in stone isn't?

In your opinion, is there a remote possibility that SEGA, in light of how well the Kickstarter did, could reconsider its position about Shenmue and why not, make a deal with Yu Suzuki for the edition of Shenmue 3?
After all, SEGA showed some signs of goodwill towards hardcore fans lately AND gave Suzuki San the green light for Shenmue 3 production.

I know it's a lot of speculation, but since the KS annoucement... nothing is impossible anymore :king:

I think there's absolutely no chance at all for that, Sega doesn't like making money, even if they can make millions, without the need to spend any money, they wont do it, so nomatter how well the KS went, it matters not to Sega, no way would they actually spend money.

I don't think they would even port the first 2 games over(which is a no brainer move, but this is Sega we're talking about), so no way would they foot the 4m needed to make the best Shenmue 3 as possible.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:17 pm

II'd prefer Sega to outsource thie Shenmue PS4/PC port to some other company, like those Spanyards, they seem to be pretty good at porting. Forgot what their name was.

Let the Spanyards do the port and Yu raise the funding through another KS. Sega will hopefully give out that license, too, if YS is involved.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: II'd prefer Sega to outsource thie Shenmue PS4/PC port to some other company, like those Spanyards, they seem to be pretty good at porting. Forgot what their name was.

Let the Spanyards do the port and Yu raise the funding through another KS. Sega will hopefully give out that license, too, if YS is involved.

I don't see that happening, if Sega doesn't want to do something them selves, they wont allow others to do it either sigh.

Remember 7th Dragon=enough said(every company in the industry wanted to localize it, yet Sega was adamant on not allowing anyone to bring it over)

There was like only 2 games they let anyone localize, but that was back when they were just leaving the hardware industry, since then though, they wouldn't allow anyone to do such. If they wont even allow companies to localize games, I doubt they're going to outsource the Shenmue games of all things(have they ever outsourced games that technically exist at all, I don't think they ever did. It's not like the Shining Force spin-off series here, they would just be more or less ports of the games), and even if they did, it would no doubt be Japanese only.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DamonPlus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:10 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: II'd prefer Sega to outsource thie Shenmue PS4/PC port to some other company, like those Spanyards, they seem to be pretty good at porting. Forgot what their name was.

Spaniards? I'm Spanish, what company are you refering to?
DamonPlus
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Sonic Adventure

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am

DamonPlus wrote:

Spaniards? I'm Spanish, what company are you refering to?

Probably BlitWorks, based in Barcelona:
http://segabits.com/blog/2015/07/14/bli ... -hd-ports/
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:48 pm

fittersau wrote: I think the only involvement is SEGA's Haruki Satomi granting Yu Suzuki the Shenmue 3 license. That's it. The use of the original Shenmue characters, settings and assets. I think besides the granting of rights for say a small royalty fee of 2-5% profits say, there won't be any involvement.

there's no reason they can't do an upscaled port with improved controls first, and a full remaster later.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:11 pm

According to Sega Nerds, Sega's line up has been announced. There are 2 rumored surprises aswell...we'll have to see what those will be. Not much from the list strikes me as Sega changing their ways and being more fan driven though, although they have announced a large amount of games, how many of these will see the light of day over here is another story though.

http://www.seganerds.com/2015/09/10/tgs ... formation/

Some of the merch looks cool though, looks like a set of badges and a Dreamcast 2016 Calender! Would love to get these as both features Shenmue. Even just the little Shenmue button, I don't know if anyone on the forum is attending, but if they happen to get a few Shenmue buttons, please send one my way :D

ImageImage

James Brown has received 3 thanks from: DEVILLE_David, Giorgio, Mr357
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby DEVILLE_David » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:32 am

Oh, didn't know they'd be selling a calendar with Shenmue on it. Guess I'll grab everything related to Shenmue !

Thanks for the link.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: James Brown
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III