Do you think Ryo will actually kill Lan Di?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Do you think Ryo will actually kill Lan Di?

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 am

Lan Di just wants to create an infinite mirror effect, which is why he needs two mirrors. Once Ryo realizes this, and the two of them have their house-of-mirrors-like fun together, I'm sure Ryo will forgive Lan Di and promptly make his way back to Japan.

Thief has received a thanks from: Rakim
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:06 am

Personally I feel the next chapters of Shenmue will transcend the "revenge" path and become a more complex story about the maturity and growth of Ryo - we already know about his foretold path with Shenhua and this will play a huge part. I just don't think it's that black and white a story to hunt Lan Di down, kill him and have it over and done with.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ryuman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 am

I think Ryo will give up revenge, but Lan Di will give him no choice. I think in this situation, Ryo could be forced to kill him but I think more likely a bigger baddie will do it right in front of him. I've always liked the idea that Lan Di is being tricked or used.

Ryuman has received a thanks from: BayStone
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby Coxy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:32 pm

I think it will depend on choices made through the story
maybe the people you're close to in the end will determine it
Coxy

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:20 pm

I'm sure that, no matter what, at some point there will be a physical confrontation between the 2. But who knows, maybe something will arise that will force them to become allies and work together...
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:09 am

TwiceFriedRice wrote: I don't even think Ryo is going to be strong enough to defeat Lan Di when their initial confrontation happens (likely in SIII). He's getting more and more powerful in Kung Fu by the day, but he's still not even close to matching Lan Di. That dude owned Iwao, a renowned martial arts master, without even trying. I think Ryo and Lan Di will face off more than once, with Lan Di besting him the first time.

I agree completely. Iwao couldn't even touch Lan Di, so the only character currently in Shenmue who would even stand somewhat of a chance is Xiuying, but even then there's no knowing for sure. Ryo will need either a lot more training or some kind of divine power (the Phoenix Mirror, Shenhua, the levitating sword?) if he's going to confront Lan Di.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rome » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:41 am

I believe Ryo and Lan Di actually become good friends in the end.....jk.

I think we'll see less of the revenge aspect early on in S3, that being said, I do see at least 2 fight scenes taking place.

It'll come down to how the story folds out. If there is no other option, then I could see Ryo killing Lan Di. I would like the option, maybe as an alternative ending kinda situation.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Jibby » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:54 pm

shenmueilike wrote:in china, one popular sentence said "hate generates revenge ,then revenge generates hate ,that keeps this cycle never stop .when is the time for all to be over ?"

Unlimited Shenmue games confirmed!
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Mr357 wrote:
TwiceFriedRice wrote: I don't even think Ryo is going to be strong enough to defeat Lan Di when their initial confrontation happens (likely in SIII). He's getting more and more powerful in Kung Fu by the day, but he's still not even close to matching Lan Di. That dude owned Iwao, a renowned martial arts master, without even trying. I think Ryo and Lan Di will face off more than once, with Lan Di besting him the first time.

I agree completely. Iwao couldn't even touch Lan Di, so the only character currently in Shenmue who would even stand somewhat of a chance is Xiuying, but even then there's no knowing for sure. Ryo will need either a lot more training or some kind of divine power (the Phoenix Mirror, Shenhua, the levitating sword?) if he's going to confront Lan Di.

Iwao could have put up a much better fight than he did. Shozo - the homeless chap who lives near the harbor cafeteria - teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. Ryo finds out that Iwao knew this move and could have used it against Lan Di "that day", turning the battle in his favor. But Shozo responds, "No sense in fighting. A clean getaway is also victory."
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby combat_rock » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Only way it'll happen is if he's forced somehow. That being said, Lan Di doesn't seem like the kind of guy you simply hand over to the cops either.
combat_rock

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:24 pm

no, ryo and lan di become bros, get drunk on sake, and double team niao sun
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby NismoZZzz » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:58 am

Nope. I think he will learn on his journey, become wiser, defeat him in a fight, and let him live with the loss. I can see Lan Di taking his own life with a blade though,
NismoZZzz
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:19 am

Sonoshee wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

Iwao could have put up a much better fight than he did. Shozo - the homeless chap who lives near the harbor cafeteria - teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. Ryo finds out that Iwao knew this move and could have used it against Lan Di "that day", turning the battle in his favor. But Shozo responds, "No sense in fighting. A clean getaway is also victory."

I wonder if Iwao wasn't filled with guilt due to killing Zhao Sunming, and maybe letting himself be beaten by his son was his sort of redemption or making it right.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby bikingjehuty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:26 am

I always imagined that Shenmue 3 will focus heavily on Ryo's spiritual and personal development, and at some point he realizes that to hunt down Lan Di will inevitably consume him, making him become Lan Di-ish himself. I always believed that Yu Suzuki would allow players to decide which path to take, to either continue pursuing Lan Di or to give up on revenge and embrace Ryo's newfound enlightenment, creating multiple story lines and ending. Speaking of the ending, I also believed that all roads will eventually lead to Lan Di, but choosing the path of enlightenment will be more so forcing Ryo's hand rather then him taking Lan Di out due to pure revenge.

God DAMMIT!!! I can't wait to see how the story progresses in Shenmue 3!!!!
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Previous

Return to Shenmue III