Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

Postby FRASIER v3 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:19 am

Not sure what to make of this, at least it shows ambition and direction. Still very early days on Shenmue 3 and he's already thinking of the next instalments.

Full story - http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/23/ ... -shenmue-4

Thoughts?
FRASIER v3
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Suzuki, "I want to make Shenmue 4"

Postby Yama » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:30 am

Hearing him say that if Shenmue III doesn't do well there won't be a IV scares me a bit, because the mere mention of IV tells me III won't conclude the story fully and we could potentially be left with another hanger. I'd like there to be a IV or even V, but only if they're definite locks for release.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby hazuki90 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:32 am

I would love that
But I think it's a very risky move
hazuki90

Postby Seraph87 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:48 am

I don't like it at all. He should use this chance and complete the story once and for all but he doesn't stop talking about more games and I can already see the same situation in 2018 we had after Shenmue 2. He should know best that sales won't be promising for III.
Seraph87
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ConanTheKing » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:53 am

If he makes a fourth, I hope it's the last one. Of course I want more Shenmue, but what's worse is another cliffhanger without a sequel and the franchise might not get another chance again.

Looking at the GDC dissection, I do like the idea of four parts to the original story, one about a tragic incident (Shenmue 1) then the next about going to China (Shenmue 2), then the next about a fierce battle and achieving revenge (Shenmue 3?) and then a final one which is about finding a new direction (Shenmue 4, an epilogue and return to Japan?).
Last edited by ConanTheKing on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConanTheKing has received a thanks from: Anthony817
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:03 am

I'm so incredibly happy that he hasn't decided to end the series with Shenmue 3. Even if Shenmue 3 does horribly (which I doubt) and we're left on another cliffhanger, that's still preferable to me than a rushed product just so I "know what happens". I don't play Shenmue merely because i'm curious about the story. I play Shenmue because its story is presented brilliantly and I want nothing to compromise that in further games.

Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:09 am

He also mentioned in another interview that he had finally decided not to conclude the full story in Shenmue III.
I prefer this since it will at least be closer to his original vision that way. What's the point of rushing through a story and cutting out parts to make it fit in one game? If he does that it will likely not feel like the previous games at all. And the way the series immerse you with its pacing and daily life is also a big part of it all, not just the storyline itself. The other option would be to have the full story but due to the budget, the game would likely be very downscaled and closer to a collection of cutscenes.

They also know more about the funding than we do. Maybe they can already see that it's worth taking the risk? I also assume that more people would return for the "full experience" actually than the bare bones alternative.

ys has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, TwiceFriedRice
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:14 am

This is great news if you ask me, I don't want him to rush this at all. Stick to the original vision.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Luke_09
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby chai22 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:15 am

I'd say "bring us 4!" .
Okay, it is a risk, but I trust in his vision and love the idea!
+1 for the Full Shenmue Experience.
chai22

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:17 am

I don't see any problem with that.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:25 am

We should all accept as fact by now that we might never see the conclusion of Shenmue's story until probably the day see our own children grow as old as Ryo, or have even grandchildren by then. Yu Suzuki mentioned before that if he had to condense the story he probably would end the series at V, but given the pace at developing these games it would take more than a decade at least to finally see its conclusion. Well, it's all about the journey for me, as I've been accompanying this series since a teenager and when I finally learn of how Ryo's story was meant to end, it will definitely be a bittersweet moment in my life.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ratrace » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:28 am

Nothing scares me with this.

Bring on 4 Yu!!!
ratrace

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 am

I thought I'd read Suzuki would only make Shenmue 4 if fans were happy enough with Shenmue 3?
I think to a degree sales will matter because of backers outside of the Kickstarter, but overall it seemed it was down to the satisfaction of the fans.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby joka » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 am

Sonoshee wrote:I thought I'd read Suzuki would only make Shenmue 4 if fans were happy enough with Shenmue 3?
I think to a degree sales will matter because of backers outside of the Kickstarter, but overall it seemed it was down to the satisfaction of the fans.

Yes he did say that on Reddit but I the 'not happy' comment I just took as if S3 doesn't sell.

Personally I don't think he should be trying to cut loads out just to try and complete the whole story in the next game- there is no way he could do it and keep the fans happy so I'd rather it be a gamble on s3 doing well and allowing for s4 to be made.

Could even be released in chapters as episodic content if S3 under performs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:37 am

ys wrote:He also mentioned in another interview that he had finally decided not to conclude the full story in Shenmue III.
I prefer this since it will at least be closer to his original vision that way. What's the point of rushing through a story and cutting out parts to make it fit in one game? If he does that it will likely not feel like the previous games at all. And the way the series immerse you with its pacing and daily life is also a big part of it all, not just the storyline itself. The other option would be to have the full story but due to the budget, the game would likely be very downscaled and closer to a collection of cutscenes.

They also know more about the funding than we do. Maybe they can already see that it's worth taking the risk? I also assume that more people would return for the "full experience" actually than the bare bones alternative.

Plus they will already have an engine and assests and all the bits of hard work that goes into making a game from scratch! It'll be like shenmue 2 from 1. They know they have a solid/dedicated fanbase too. They might as well do a 4 sooner than later after 3 imo...
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Next

Return to Shenmue III