$10,000,000

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

$10,000,000

Postby iyapol » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 pm

Good evening all. Long time reader, first time poster.

So, Yu Suzuki wants $10,000,000 from the Kickstarter to create the best possible Shenmue III? Well, at the current rate, he'll be lucky if he ends up with half.

Today is the lowest cash collection day of the campaign - 'only' $21,000 donated at time of writing. Does this suggest donations are grinding to a halt and, if so, what would happen if the stretch target isn't achieved?

Surely, after all these years, Yu wouldn't release a substandard product? A Shenmue III without a 'truly open world' just wouldn't feel right - it was the open worlds of Shenmue I and II that made the games feel so special.

With talk of a potential future Shenmue IV (one at a time, Yu), wouldn't a disappointing Shenmue III be the final nail in an already fragile Shenmue coffin?
Last edited by iyapol on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: $10,000

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:30 pm

iyapol wrote:Surely, after all these years, Yu wouldn't release a substandard product?

Have you seen his track record since Shenmue II?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby iyapol » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:35 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
iyapol wrote:Surely, after all these years, Yu wouldn't release a substandard product?

What are you suggesting?
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Like I've said quite a few times, I am fully confident that no matter how this Kickstarter turns out, Yu will deliver us the Shenmue 3 that he envisions without holding back
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Troll.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm

JaySw34 wrote: Like I've said quite a few times, I am fully confident that no matter how this Kickstarter turns out, Yu will deliver us the Shenmue 3 that he envisions without holding back

Even if the Kickstarter only hit $5-6 million I imagine we will get a similar game to if we hit $10 million due to outside funding.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Re: $10,000,000

Postby Doom_Infinite » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 pm

I think the problem is that the Kickstarter page isn't making any changes despite huge amounts of fan feedback desperately trying to get them to improve it.

I agree though that even if it ends at 5 or 6 million Suzuki san will do his best to find extra to make it the true sequel we want. :)
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Supa » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:

He may have had a low output, but surely not all of those games were bad. Did you play any of them? I didn't, none were readily available.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 pm

What concerns me is that these backers can basically buy the game at a discount for $29.00. So far there is about 45,000 backers. If you want it why wouldn't you pay $29.00 now? 50k units sold isn't a whopping success, in fact it's the opposite.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby mrandyk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Jeff wrote: What concerns me is that these backers can basically buy the game at a discount for $29.00. So far there is about 45,000 backers. If you want it why wouldn't you pay $29.00 now? 50k units sold isn't a whopping success, in fact it's the opposite.

But the release date is slated for 30 months from now. I can see where that would drive a lot of people on the fence away.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Jeff wrote: What concerns me is that these backers can basically buy the game at a discount for $29.00. So far there is about 45,000 backers. If you want it why wouldn't you pay $29.00 now? 50k units sold isn't a whopping success, in fact it's the opposite.

Except these people are giving money to his company to make the game. They're basically paying for the labor and they might've calculated how much it would cost to turn a profit. Especially since there is no disc, it's all downloadable. A portion of this money is not returnable (the crowdfunders) so that lifts part of a heavy burden off their back.

And also 10k for a dinner? 3k for a leather jacket? And the other high tier prices. We're also not taking into account how well it would do after it's out and sold to the public. It's not realistic to assume AAA numbers and they might've figured that out a long time ago to not break the bank.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby elfshadowreaper » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Riku Rose wrote:Even if the Kickstarter only hit $5-6 million I imagine we will get a similar game to if we hit $10 million due to outside funding.

Shenmue Timex Coca-Cola Fruit Roll-up NASCAR Oscar Meyer Weiners 3: Jurassic World Check Local Listings
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Riku Rose wrote:
JaySw34 wrote: Like I've said quite a few times, I am fully confident that no matter how this Kickstarter turns out, Yu will deliver us the Shenmue 3 that he envisions without holding back

Even if the Kickstarter only hit $5-6 million I imagine we will get a similar game to if we hit $10 million due to outside funding.

I think the same, but not because outside founding but because YSThey have a budget, they have a goal to achieve. For example broken age was actually drew back by over funding. They thought they could do an ags game, but then started going different ways.

And seems like Yu got a really clear view of what he wants of the game, so that's really a BIG plus.

Of course any other income sources would not be bad :D
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby JaySw34 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 pm

What would really be great is if there was some filthy rich fan who donated millions to back the whole thing. If only Floyd Money Mayweather or some Saudi oil prince were Shenmue fans.
JaySw34
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: JaySw34
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm

I think if we all tweet Mayweather that he'd be a bitch if he didn't donate a couple of million to the Kickstarter, he would do it .
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III