Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals revealed.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:31 pm

I honestly wouldn't get too caught up in "Dollar amount = features x/y/z" because game development is complicated and priorities can shift once you go through the dev process. Things that sounded good on paper might not work so well in practice. However, obviously the more money is made in kickstarter, the better. I'm still confident this will be a solid game no matter what. I accepted that it's not going to be cutting edge on the tech side like the originals games were, but it should still have the same design philosophy and story that we all love.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby James Brown » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:44 pm

Riku Rose wrote: I seriously think Sony is just funding the game. They've said that they needed the $2 million to prove that there was an audience and Adam Boyes pretty much said that they needed it to show the higher ups this was a project worth funding. Most of the stretch goals sounds like they're mini games and side quests which I imagine we will get anyway but just not as many without the stretch goals being met. One of them is for a part time job in a village but I doubt there won't be a single job in that village if the goal isn't met or the structure of the whole village and how it operates will have to change since money isn't available.

I think no matter what goal we hit at this point we will get a game similar in size and scope as the first two but the more the Kickstarter makes the more bells and whistles will be thrown in. The guy in charge of Sony Europe said they consider it a successful series so I doubt they're throwing spare change at the project. There where even job ads going up the minute the Kickstarter went up, why would you start hiring when you don't know how many people you can hire?

My final thoughts: No matter how the Kickstarter ends we will get a sequel that isn't a point A to point B type experience with corners cut too fit into a small budget. We will get a Shenmue sequel similar to the first games but obviously a bit shiner since it's on a console two generations ahead of the originals.

Hope you're right dude! :)

James Brown has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby ys » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Riku Rose wrote:^I don't think they're fully funding it but that they along with other investors gave Yu quite a healthy budget minus $2 million with which he could make the game and for it not to feel like Shenmue 3 on a budget. Any of the extra money from Kickstarter will just be just that, extra money.

Sony have funded games like The Last Guardian for almost 10 years at this point and it seems too me this is because they have too save face and have something too show for it. I doubt they will publish a half arsed Shenmue III even if the Kickstarter ended where it is now.

I've been going back and forth regarding this but also think that Sony could end up helping more than they are admitting at the moment. And I agree. I've also been saying that I can't see Sony release Shenmue III lacking lots of features. It is after all in their own interest to get a PS4 release that lives up to a certain standard.
Then we also have Yu who said that the game would already be a worthy sequel at this point. And with more funding new features could be introduced to the series.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm

ys wrote:
I've been going back and forth regarding this but also think that Sony could end up helping more than they are admitting at the moment. And I agree. I've also been saying that I can't see Sony release Shenmue III lacking lots of features. It is after all in their own interest to get a PS4 release that lives up to a certain standard.
Then we also have Yu who said that the game would already be a worthy sequel at this point. And with more funding new features could be introduced to the series.

With the record breaking funding this game achieved in it's first couple of days, it probably caught some attention from people at Sony and they are probably rethinking whether or not to increase more funding as a result, it's clearly something people want.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby myshtuff » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:25 pm

ConanTheKing wrote:
ys wrote:

With the record breaking funding this game achieved in it's first couple of days, it probably caught some attention from people at Sony and they are probably rethinking whether or not to increase more funding as a result, it's clearly something people want.

See thats just the problem. Its something a very passionate small group of people want. The general MODERN gaming community still doesn't know wtf this game is and thats the main problem.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:39 am

Here is the real question guys, are we willing to go broke for shenmue? How far are we individually willing to go? As it looks right now I think they either need to extend the kickstarter or have some other kind of donation option by some other means once the kickstarters ends so we keep having more time to throw money at this. They cant expect us to have all these goals reached in this amount of time...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:56 am

I have the theory that once the Kickstarter ends at whatever final amount, Sony is going to swoop in a say "Because you are all so passionate about the series and we want it to be successful too, we are going to match the funds of the Kickstarter 1:1."
So then ~6 million will turn into 12..
But that's just my wonderful ideal theory. Sony looked pretty happy to parade this game all over E3 for us. I dont think they want to see it fail before it even begins.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Erevador » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:35 am

Axm wrote: I have the theory that once the Kickstarter ends at whatever final amount, Sony is going to swoop in a say "Because you are all so passionate about the series and we want it to be successful too, we are going to match the funds of the Kickstarter 1:1."
So then ~6 million will turn into 12..
But that's just my wonderful ideal theory. Sony looked pretty happy to parade this game all over E3 for us. I dont think they want to see it fail before it even begins.

My hope is that Sony just quietly supports the game behind the scenes, and makes sure Yu has the money he needs to deliver. It is very possible they could end up doing what you're describing, but without any fanfare, just to make sure the game turns out great.

Shenmue has already made a big splash for them, they want it to be well received. 6 million is chump change to Sony.

Erevador has received a thanks from: Axm
Erevador
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby BlueMue » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:35 am

I like that idea of Sony basically doubling the money gained from Kickstarter. Here's hope they really do something like it.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby KidMarine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:48 am

BlueMue wrote: I like that idea of Sony basically doubling the money gained from Kickstarter. Here's hope they really do something like it.

I'll buy a PS4 if they do. I'll even apologise for all the "PS3 has no games" jokes I've made over the last 8 years!
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:57 am

I want to remind people that Sony isn't a charity organization. For them to double the budget they will have to know as a fact that it will regenerate enough money in sales to justify said investment.

While they will probably fund a percentage of the project, it will be a minor one. We are and will be the main source of development $$$ going into the project.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 pm

My guess would be that Sony is paying an already decided flat amount of money to YSNet, so extra funds need to come from kickstarter and outside investors. It's possible Sony decides to increase their amount of funding, but there's no reason they have to do it right away. It's very common to staff up with contractors during the last year of development, so I would guess they would want to see the status of the project at the midway point and decide from there.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby KiD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Looking at the Stretch Goals, I think it's a pipe dream to get this game to 10 million. Hopefully Sony or Sega fork out the rest needed, but I don't think they will. Considering how much it's slowed down after the confusing start and people's reaction to Sony's alleged involvement, I think we would be lucky to get to 5 million. And hopefully we do get to 5 million, I would love for at least one of the villages to be fully expanded upon.
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 pm

It's a sad day where I have to "cheat" the system and pledge on two different accounts in order to pretend there's an extra Shenmue fan willing to donate for the cause.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Sony matching KS 1:1 has been my theory as well... Hope it comes to fruition.

Have to say, though, it's extremely disappointing that SEGA, a company that was essentially propped up by Suzuki-san himself, has to act like a beggar for rights to things he created. Seems very petty to me.

Also, I haven't heard a peep from SEGA of Japan on whether or not they'll be making any financial contributions to the campaign or development, which is equally as disappointing.
Wude-Tang Clan

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III