Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals revealed.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 - All stretch goals announced.....

Postby ys » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:44 am

Amazing list from a creative and planning perspective. But slightly depressing since it will definitely feel like we're missing out considering the pledges keep slowing down. What did they get yesterday? Something along the lines of a rubber band, a piece of chocolate and a half wet chewed on popsicle stick.

shredingskin wrote:
Peter wrote: I am still baffled by languages consuming almost a fifth of the budgets finances. How about making the game to the best of its potential BEFORE adding in languages!! A lot of those countries speak English anyways!!
Guess that's just for getting different language speakers to pledge and not really the actual budget of doing subtitles.
BTW the 11 million stretch is nowhere near the scope of any kickstarter, but my god, really, wtf, it's fucking amazing.

Indeed, it's several times the cost of actual localization. So it's to get people to pledge.

For the different areas that will make up the game, Yu-san felt that he should focus on making each area as fully immersive as possible before moving on to the next new one, so the area portions of the Stretch Goals have been grouped together.

So depending on where the funding ends, we'll get an extremely intricate village filled with activities and NPC's. Travel later, arrive at the next place and see one hut with two NPC's staring at the wall? ;)
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:07 am

Hopeful wrote: Ok! Now we know we need at least 11 million to make Shenmue 3 the best it could be.

There must be wealthy gamers out there, like celebrities! Please spread the Shenmue III kickstarter link on all videogame related forums.

By the look of things, I believe we will hit barely 6 million on the final day of Kickstarter if we do not donate more or have more backers.

:cry:

Mate I'm just wishing there is some fat rich kid out there somewhere who is a huge Shenmue fan and spoiled by his billionaire dad.

Doom_Infinite wrote: I hate to say this but the KS is not keeping momentum. 30k a day sounds good but Bloodstained was averaging 60k a day and in fact I believe 40k or so was the worst day it had. The other thing to remember is that Shenmue had the E3 conference as the reveal. it's very hard to top that level of coverage. Another major issue is that the KS is not making much effort drawing in people who are not fans. It's not too late however to fix that.

I think the reason why is news of Bloodstained got around slowly as opposed to Shenmue when it got announced to millions at E3 in one big go, that's why Shenmue had such a huge spike and dropped while Bloodstained stayed more consistent as people were learning about it for the first time over weeks.
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fif » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 am

Don't you think there's too much of mini games planned ?
fif
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Doom_Infinite » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:23 am

Looked at it more carefully and noticed. There's nothing between 5 and 6m except for Portuguese subs at 5.1. Someone please tell this is a mistake...
Doom_Infinite

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:27 am

Doom_Infinite wrote: Looked at it more carefully and noticed. There's nothing between 5 and 6m except for Portuguese subs at 5.1. Someone please tell this is a mistake...

Yep, thats gonna be the most painful climb.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:40 am

Ah, 11 million. "Just" double of what the most successful game ever made on kickstarter. Call me a pessimist, but i think the stretch goals are simply unreasonably high. Yu Suzuki and his team got a bad sense for such Kickstarter campaigns. I hate to quote one of the people who wrote "We'll never make that" in this thread - but honestly - that's the first thing i thought. We haven't even reached 4 million and for most projects 100K is really a lot. I'd really have prefered if Yu Suzuki would have only put stretch goals in there that are realistically "within reach". And Portuguese... -sadface- I logve portuguese people, really do, but i don't think it's so wise to spend like 20% of the whole budget just on translations. And 100K for each set of subtitles is REALLY a lot, some great games had less budget for the whole game. ANd even though my love for portugese, spanish, german, french and so on is nearly limitless it doesn't improve the situation, because now you have to ask yourself if Yu hates Dutch, swedish, russian and Thai people because he didn't include their languages. Ah to me the stretch goals are a bit depressing. Yeah i know - positive thinking, chakkah! But as i said - even thinking extremely optimistic i think much of this is really out of reach.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:07 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
Doom_Infinite wrote: Looked at it more carefully and noticed. There's nothing between 5 and 6m except for Portuguese subs at 5.1. Someone please tell this is a mistake...

Yep, thats gonna be the most painful climb.

Gotta say, and not knowing much about game development, I would imagine that a battle system, with mo-cap, ai etc is difficult and costly to make, probably one of the most expensive parts of gameplay for sure. It would have to be made from scratch, no doubt that.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

Today is a huge day for this Kickstarter.

It's payday for people who get monthly salaries. There was a huge update regarding the areas and stretch goals, and we have a Twitch broadcast tonight which is a huge deal.

May be optimistic here, but I am expecting at least a half million to come in today. If we got a million, it would go a long way to my faith being restored and a possibility if hitting a huge amount a slight reality again.

But being honest, that 11 million took a lot of wind out of my sails.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:34 am

If we get half a million today i'll run around naked outside my house!

I mean it hasnt even made 4k$ in the last 3 hours...i hope America will save the day when they wake up.

Edit: and lets not kid ourselves now guys, this KS its not getting to 10 millions, period. I mean the damn prequels are only available in systems from 3 gens ago lol, it's already a miracle that we got this far. Cross your fingers for 6m and then lets see what we can do when they open paypal.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:41 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: If we get half a million today i'll run around naked outside my house!

I mean it hasnt even made 4k$ in the last 3 hours...i hope America will save the day when they wake up.

Edit: and lets not kid ourselves now guys, this KS its not getting to 10 millions, period. I mean the damn prequels are only available in systems from 3 gens ago lol, it's already a miracle that we got this far. Cross your fingers for 6m and then lets see what we can do when they open paypal.

phpBB [video]
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Re: Kickstarter Update #15 - The Plan & Stretch Goals reveal

Postby ys » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 am

@NeoShredder Motion capturing is apparently cheaper in many cases than doing all the animations by hand judging by a few articles that I have read before.

Master Kyodai wrote:i don't think it's so wise to spend like 20% of the whole budget just on translations. And 100K for each set of subtitles is REALLY a lot, some great games had less budget for the whole game. ANd even though my love for portugese, spanish, german, french and so on is nearly limitless it doesn't improve the situation, because now you have to ask yourself if Yu hates Dutch, swedish, russian and Thai people because he didn't include their languages.

That's what Hyo Razuki and me were wondering about earlier. No problem with the subtitles but it's quite a big part of the campaign. Especially considering, as I just said, the level of pledging is at the level of a rubber band, a piece of chocolate and a half wet chewed on popsicle stick per day. If the average pledge is at $80 then 100000/80=1250 people. Could they get that many new backers from the Portuguese community because of this?

Ggameplay features benefit everyone though and could attract new backers/higher pledges when getting closer to a goal. Afterwards, new gameplay for the series is also better to impress the general public. Imagine at E3, telling the audience : "Shenmue III adds new features to the series!" Versus : "We've added several subtitles!"

Subtitles could've been cheaper (slightly over real cost) or funded later when other things are in place. Sony could probably help out anyway since it's in their own interest to market the game to as many people as possible.

PS Funny that you chose Dutch and Swedish as examples. The two languages that I speak fluently.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 am

I'm also quite weary of this whole subtitle thing. I just hope that in the long run all those subtitles will work in favor of Shenmue 3. But neither S1 nor S2 ever had Spanish, French, German or Italian, let alone Portuguese subtitles to begin with.

Also how will they get people from Portugal or Brazil who don't speak English to pledge, if they can't even read the KS page?
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Jackie Fhan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:47 am

I think the sub tiers probably made sense, getting those people of a whole country to take notice, without their language they would have completely ignored it.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:49 am

I can't believe any of you think they're spending a significant amount on subtitles. I doubt many of the stretch goals have much to do with the actual amount they're hoping to reach.

I agree that they're not making it to 11 million, but we can at least see they're planning a robust game. I believe they'll make up for the shortfall somehow. I'm just worried there are too many who'd rather have no game at all than a game they believe is lacking features. We've waited so long for this game that it annoys me people would suggest they'd rather have nothing at all.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:54 am

With these new ambitious stretch goals, and the Twitch stream tonight.....

It is an absolute MUST that a lot more tiers are added to the Kickstarter. If they don't, it will be a very foolish decision.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III