Awesome Japan

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Awesome Japan

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:19 am

phpBB [video]

For those who don't know, "Awesome Japan" are the company in charge of the Shenmue kickstarter.

Their staff : https://translate.google.fr/translate?s ... edit-text=

Some statistics :
- Awesome Japan has "helped" 13 kickstarters prior to this (in a span of 11 months), only 7 were successful
- Only 1 videogame kickstarter ,Soul Knights (ex Nippon Ichi staff), barely met the goal of $60k with only 246 backers
- only 1550 backers and $170k for all their campaigns combined so far
- they had no native english speaker before this kickstarter apparently. All of their previous campaigns had significant spelling and translation mistakes

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=800
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/ ... dcast-ep-5

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Yokosuka on Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Mr357, Technophilz
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Awesome Japan

Postby Technophilz » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:21 am

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 am

They have "losers" written all over their faces, especially the non-asian guy.

God what did we do to get trolled like this on the one shot we have after 14 years... :(
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby jay_mack » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 am

This highly successful kickstarter will look real good on their "about" section.
jay_mack
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Destiny

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:39 am

I think he's actually not non-asian but mixed white-asian. Not sure though. He looks so weird.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I think he's actually not non-asian but mixed white-asian. Not sure though. He loos so weird.

So Joel Tess is Brosauce

Peter has received a thanks from: Raithos
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:44 am

What really pisses me off, is that Awesome Japan will be able to write "record-breaking Kickstarter for both $1M and $2M" on their profile, without even lying.

Hyo Razuki has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Axm, Mr357
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:49 am

What a damn mess. I'm so tired of this shit. This is the most stressed ive been about something in years when it should be a celebration. Somebody calm me down and tell me we'll be ok..

Axm has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am

Axm wrote: What a damn mess. I'm so tired of this shit. This is the most stressed ive been about something in years when it should be a celebration. Somebody calm me down and tell me we'll be ok..

Well i'm as frustrated as you are, but the game is getting made...and if they announce physical ps4 tier we'll get to 5m with no problems.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:52 am

We'll be ok. They made the $2 million goal in less than a day and are somehow making more money today than they have in the past week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/mo ... ef=sidebar

Shenmue 3 is also steadily climbing into the top 10 most funded Kickstarters of all time, with 20 days to go.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:08 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: We'll be ok. They made the $2 million goal in less than a day and are somehow making more money today than they have in the past week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/mo ... ef=sidebar

Shenmue 3 is also steadily climbing into the top 10 most funded Kickstarters of all time, with 20 days to go.

this weeks boost is a one time boost, those were a limited number of grab bags which people have upped their excising pledge to, this hasn't brought more people in and now that they are all gone and you can already see its slowed right back down.

They need to bring something in that will convince people who are sitting on the fence, some new tiers which are not limited in quantity, such as Physical PS4, Phoenix/Dragon Mirrors at the $750 mark ...etc etc...

I'm the same as others, we should be celebrating Shenmue 3 coming, but the utter, total incompetence of Awesome Japan is squandering the opportunity, any other company would have maximized on having stage time at Sony's E3 press conference, Awesome Japan has 100% totally squandered it and its stressful and frustrating.

RiGoRmOrTiS has received a thanks from: Bambi
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ys » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:30 pm

In a way, I would give them a break since they're probably nice guys trying the best they can. That being said, a project of this scale is maybe a bit out of their league.

The interview didn't hurt pledging but it's crazy that they, at this level, didn't test their setup (judging by that common echo issue). Before the start, I actually expected technical issues and mentioned it in our chat. Personally, when I record something we go through a full test first before we start for real.
And they also needed to evaluate Twitch first. Not react afterwards : "Wow! This chat is fast! I can't read anything." That's stuff you consider before going live.

Sure, the project is doing well money wise but that's largely due to the fans. Not really how it's run. It just feels like it could reach a bit higher with the right approach (engage outsiders etc). Maybe someone experienced could step in to help them out?

ys has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, PacemaŜinobo
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby 8bitRyo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:36 pm

i wonder if the guys at AJ realize that they are managing the fate of a 50+ million dollar franchise with this KS campaign !? shenmue is the long lost holy grail of the gaming industry, not some cute little indie game.. its surreal and disturbing to see how unprofessionally they are handling this. its almost like there is a conspiracy at work to sabotage the project. the twitch Q&A (which wasnt a Q&A at all, there was no interaction with the viewers) was TWILIGHT ZONE material.

8bitRyo has received 3 thanks from: Hazuki_san, Hyo Razuki, Sonne2
8bitRyo
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: The Wolf Among Us

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Axm wrote: What a damn mess. I'm so tired of this shit. This is the most stressed ive been about something in years when it should be a celebration. Somebody calm me down and tell me we'll be ok..

Realx. We're gonna be fine, trust me. To be fair, this Twitch... thing made us a good Dollar or two, I'm not denying. The thing that I don't like is this disturbing, almost obnoxious vibe Awesome Japan give me from time to time.

Those guys seem to have no idea who they are dealing with and what they are actually trying to get funded. It wouldn't surprise if none of them had ever actually played a minute of Shenmue. But at least to me that would seem the most basic of basic preparations to be done. Get a Dreamcast and spend one work day playing a bit of Shenmue 1 and 2 so you have an idea what you are talking about.

If I was a PR guy trying to get the Pebble Watch funded, I'd go and find out what it's all about and if I was trying to fund the third part of a video game I'd sure as heck look into the other two BEFORE starting the KS campaign.

Awesome Japan and especially that Tess guy need to understand that this is NOT about awesome Japan. Even if you don't have a lot of money you can at least get the fan questions out and read them in neutral and serious way without trying to take center stage and turn the whole thing into a third rate comedy show. And shave off that beard, get a hair cut and decent shirt while you're at it so you don't look like a clown on screen.

Sorry for getting a bit fired up but writing this somehow got me aggrevated. :D
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyo Razuki has received 3 thanks from: Anthony817, Axm, Sonne2
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Henry posted this in another thread. 15 minutes in it features Awesome Japan on blast in this podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwphQVMDJvY

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III