I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:12 am

Three Blades wrote:
Because game development hasn't started yet and it was a concept video?

Kinda missing the point here.
Since development hasn't started, why not re-use the passport model but with higher resolution skin textures and whatnot? Why go through the trouble of creating a brand new model that is clearly inferior?
"Development hasn't started" doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about here.

This is basically what I'm talking about. Why make a worse model if you have a much better one you can edit and change the textures on.

I can understand they probably want a model built from the inside out to have better facial recogniition etc but what they have shown was just so poor it could honestly turn some fans away or something.

Just can't understand the business sense behind what they created is all.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:26 am

I don't think it's as easy as people thing to use old assets in a new engine, but given how important the quality of the model was for the first announcement, marketing, kickstarter, nostalgia, I feel this shouldn't gotten taken care of. It would help ease fan anxiety and present the game in a better light to newcomers.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:43 am

Tomato Convenience Store wrote: I don't think it's as easy as people thing to use old assets in a new engine, but given how important the quality of the model was for the first announcement, marketing, kickstarter, nostalgia, I feel this shouldn't gotten taken care of. It would help ease fan anxiety and present the game in a better light to newcomers.

I don't think this makes sense to me, you are using the polygons. That can be used and scaled to any engine of today.

Making the textures in UE4 and yadda.

It felt a little strange to see bad models from them.

I think the real questions are who are making these models

The only thing it really makes me think are the ideas about can the team and the people YU is finding able to make top quality stuff. I guess that will have to be seen at a later date though.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 am

They're just models. Do you think it's difficult to re-use textures? All this talk of "old tech in new engines" is ridiculous. Have any of you looked in the Community Projects forum at all?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:32 am

I would only assume they wanted to make new models as it was a good idea.

Yes it is a good idea, but it seems the execution wasn't. Well, as long as it looks good in the finished product.

I agree with the above, if you can't use models and assets in new game engines... something is going horribly wrong. Now, using game code, physics and routines is a bit of a different story.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:10 am

Yeah, I don't really buy that the models were too old to be used in a new engine.
And I get that making a new model is a good thing, but using old models would still have been better than making a model that looks nothing like Ryo.
I suppose getting permission to use the old models might have been an issue at the time when they were making the reveal video though. Whatever, at this point I'm just really eager to see the next improved Ryo.

..and, as bad as non-Ryo looked in the reveal trailer... the video was still cool enough to make me cry like a baby :)
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Marzy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:34 am

Everyone needs to calm down about the model. The game is incredibly early in development, the models shown were just for concept and just to show something on the KS page. With 2 years of development still left, there's tonnes of work that needs to be done.

I have no doubts that Ryo will look fantastic in the end.
Marzy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Grow Home

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:37 am

Marzy wrote: Everyone needs to calm down about the model. The game is incredibly early in development, the models shown were just for concept and just to show something on the KS page. With 2 years of development still left, there's tonnes of work that needs to be done.

I have no doubts that Ryo will look fantastic in the end.

I think a lot of us understandt hat, that is why I asked why they went that route and didn't use the other assets. Of course it's a question that can't be answered, and my guess was that they wanted or felt they should create it from scratch
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 am

Anyone remember that Shenmue 2 Xbox promo where Ryo looks like a Neanderthal? I can't find it. That was so funny. At least he doesn't look like that. :)

Also, what is the story with this model? I think it's the best of the ones I've seen, but it doesn't seem official. Wasn't it in the Famitsu article? I don't get it.

mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am

But it looks so... amateur. Fans have been churning out shit better than this in their spare time for a while now.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:13 am

I just want to know what it is and where they got it from. The one they showed on Twitch looked worse.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Anyone remember that Shenmue 2 Xbox promo where Ryo looks like a Neanderthal? I can't find it. That was so funny. At least he doesn't look like that. :)

Also, what is the story with this model? I think it's the best of the ones I've seen, but it doesn't seem official. Wasn't it in the Famitsu article? I don't get it.

Feel it just looks ... so bad. Reminds me of something, no idea what it is off the top of my head. He just looks like a random too skinny jawed line npc from a random game.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am

johnvivant wrote: the shenhua model has grown on me A LOT, and i now think i it prefer it over the originals. but the ryo Model even the amended one are not right at all.

i still maintain that the famitsu article model is different from the one in the kickstarter trailer, why aren't they using that?

i love the dojo twitter banner:

Even this Ryo can be improved but its much better than any of the others.

That Shenhua model in the twitter banner is really, really nice actually. I honestly wouldn't mind if that was the final version just with a bit more detail.

As for Ryo... He's not even that bad in that banner either, but why does he have brown hair? :-s
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Nahovil » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 am

You're confused because one would expect they'd worry about likeness when showing people their main character for a long awaited sequel. It's not a matter of adapting old textures and whatnot, it's a matter of drawing and sculpting his portrait correctly in a 3D model. This can be done even from regular pictures of Ryo, let alone the 3D models we, the public community, have at our disposal.

Last year, I sculpted a Ryo model in zBrush in a few hours for a class. As a total newbie in 3D sculpting, it leaves a lot to be desired, and I would expect much better from whoever draws characters at a professional level.

Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:29 am

A lot of assumptions about game development here from people who don't develop games.

"Polygons are polygons."

Heh. But in anyway, I agree the model didn't look good, but the model shown in Famitsu (shown above) was absolutely fine to me.

Himuro has received a thanks from: BayStone
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III