I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Postby Esppiral » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:32 am

My bet, looking at how the models are done, is the main artists behind the new models, aren't japanese... I don't think they aren't talented, just they don't know how to capture the original imagery.

Esppiral has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Himuro wrote: Because game development hasn't started yet and it was a concept video? :roll:

so? I don't think you read the op very well :roll:

Makes sense to me, I hold the same opinion as Himuro. Development hasn't started, that was a concept video and does not reflect a game that has yet to probably start development. Therefore right now there is no Shenmue 3 Ryo.

ConanTheKing has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby Esppiral » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 am

If the development hasn't started yet, why they waste time redoing characters when they can recycle them, that's the point.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:01 am

Esppiral wrote: If the development hasn't started yet, why they waste time redoing characters when they can recycle them, that's the point.

I suppose there can be a lot of reasons, but I wouldn't know what those are.

EDIT: So I checked their kickstarter page again and saw this:

The screenshots and images posted are still in the early stages of development, and will continue to be improved.

So development has started, but since kickstarter is the primary source of funding my guess is they made that video under severe limitations. Once the kickstarter ends I believe we will see some serious improvements.
ConanTheKing

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:09 am

Esppiral wrote: If the development hasn't started yet, why they waste time redoing characters when they can recycle them, that's the point.

To show that this will look like a modern game ? And that probably would attract more people ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 am

shredingskin wrote:

To show that this will look like a modern game ? And that probably would attract more people ?

But the character models don't look modern and they just look bad to the fans.

So, I am not seeing a very clear or coherrent answer half the time.

I do appreciate some of you actually discussing this and not giving a snide silly remark that makes no discussion like a few have.

I also said 3 times that I understand this is not what the final models will look like and this is just what they threw together.

The question was always why did they use these and not their high target scans that look quite good.

And to your point, if you did that? the models look even worse. I didn't do that as it seemed too easy to see how bad they look, but since you brought it up. We don't even need to see ps4 models to see how bad they look. PS3 is good enough.

who are the guys behind sh2 working with now, wish they could get these guys on the team

Image For those who didn't play it (yes it's a bit bad) but it is a game that truly impresses more than any other in visuals in spots.

If they are trying to make them look modern then they failed. I don't think they were aiming for that, just trying to show they are working perhaps?

And finally to be fair this is also from a game that had barely started production

Now I hope we can be friendly, I know what is going on here "final" versus "perhaps" thrown together character models. But, they do have a long way to go. They are semi ps2 models they have right now ..

Let's see how it looks next year when the game is in development and they aren't worried about this KS and things.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jackie Fhan has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:17 am

Yeah, I'm surprised at how many people are actually missing the point of the discussion entirely.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Nahovil » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:31 am

It's a matter of drawing... The models are just badly referenced from the originals.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 am

Nahovil wrote: It's a matter of drawing... The models are just badly referenced from the originals.

Texture also, depending on your point and value of course.

Honestly, if they can just up the shapes and clothes. I wouldn't mind the art style so much.

I think the systems have enough power to do the CG from the old games though, I don't know if they can pull off this look but this is my wish.. I think we would have a SH 1 and 2 like production values to get this, so I guess we won't :(

Every time I se this up top, I wish their models and textures looked just like this, ah they look so good.

I'm also curious if the team is actually really old and haven't been making characters and things in a long time? That would also make sense perhaps
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Esppiral » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:45 am

@Jackie Fhan, I agree with you, also, people usually forgets about the most stuning character running on a Dreamcast.

Dreamcast. 2000

PC/ps4 2015

Arghh...

So it is not about power, or make it look modern, those models are plain awful, you don't even need a ps3 to find something that looks way better or has better facial animations.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:52 am

Jackie Fhan wrote:

The question was always why did they use these and not their high target scans that look quite good.

Because while the new models might not look great on an artistic level they are superior on a technical level. I just re-watched the Kickstarter trailer and noticed immediate superiorities, Shenhua for example might not have had the best facial animation in a game ever but it is an improvement over the mouths in the Dreamcast games that just stretched as characters talked. Also the subtle wavering of Shenhua's clothing in the wind just before and after she jumped across the river were an effect I don't recall in old Shenmue games.

Those imperfections would have stood out more and Suzuki probably has to show something different rather than just higher resolutions.
ConanTheKing

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:29 am

Esppiral wrote:

What game is this? I've never seen it. Certainly some impressive animation.

Yeah the models look plain and artificial compared to other games of this era. Shenmue had the most detailed real time faces on the Passport disc at the time and they stayed on top for years. They definately tried to put out the most impressive and realistic stuff back then at least. But I still haven't made up my mind if they were and are going for a certain art style with Shenmue, without the characters looking super realistic or not.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:04 am

yeah that looks pretty cool, some of the animation looks forced and stretch but the art style more than makes up for it. Like that better than the ryo model lol
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

I don't understand why people are comparing finished games to a 3d game that was using a pitch for a Kickstarter that hadn't even started development officially yet. It's like you guys don't understand how game development is done. Comparing a finished game to a pitch is incredibly foolish.

Wait a year. Then if you a problem with Ryo's model voice your issues, but complaining about it now is stupid and a waste of energy. We don't know WHAT they are doing and making assumptions on their development process is something that shouldn't be done.

You guys are really comparing finished Dreamcast titles to a pitch demo that was likely funded out of Suzuki-san's own pocket. :rotflmao:
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Himuro wrote: I don't understand why people are comparing finished games to a 3d game that was using a pitch for a Kickstarter that hadn't even started development officially yet. It's like you guys don't understand how game development is done. Comparing a finished game to a pitch is incredibly foolish.

Wait a year. Then if you a problem with Ryo's model voice your issues, but complaining about it now is stupid and a waste of energy. We don't know WHAT they are doing and making assumptions on their development process is something that shouldn't be done.

You guys are really comparing finished Dreamcast titles to a pitch demo that was likely funded out of Suzuki-san's own pocket. :rotflmao:

It seems yo don't understand what we are saying and you think you know something but you don't know it as you think. It seems hard to reply to you when you seem to be completely missing what we are saying...

And your bringing in a lot of ideas that you are making as facts when most of us aren't saying anything of facts, we are just curious and making generlizations.

You are coming out with saying "likely'" funded out of Yu's pocket which is just as much of an assumption as anything in this thread.

We also completely realize we don't know what their choices were in the new models and we made guesses.

We have basically came to the question of "why didn't they use the Shenmue HIgh scan models" since creating new polygon models took more work and time and apparently look awful. We are juding on what we see and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you can't say something is good or bad then what's the point of even talking anything about it? That makes life boring perhaps. Of course we know they are early, they are not final and they may look totally different . We were basically asking and discussing the reasons as to why they do look bad. This is where you don't discuss with us, you just want to power down your opinion and throw out ideas such as "early" , "no time" , "no money"

We know all these things or maybe we don't know them just the same as you.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III