I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:33 pm

No, you guys are using platitudes as if you know of the games development process. "Why don't they do this when they can do this?" I'm just throwing out the idea that maybe Suzuki funded the demo himself out of his own pocket. Which is much, much different than the other claims in this thread, because it's not even a claim, just a suggestion.
Last edited by Himuro on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Himuro wrote: No, you guys are using platitudes as if you know of the games development process. "Why don't they do this when they can do this?" I'm just throwing out the idea that maybe Suzuki funded the demo himself out of his own pocket. Which is much, much different than the other claims in this thread, because it's not even a claim, just a suggestion.

So we shouldn't use pictures that directly show what they have did? Throwing out the idea that Yu funded the idea himself isnt any different than the ideas we threw out. Man, you just don't get it.... Which is fine, you feel what you believe is more right than what others believe. .... If you can't see that, then it's cool. Hard to discuss with you logically.

Point is we admit we don't know what or why they did it. But for you to say that your idea that Yu spent his own money makes zero sense "I mean the part of you saying your idea is probably more right" that just makes no sense. Of course "it could be right" but you have NO idea just as we don't about our speclations.

If you don't know companies usually have a lot of funding from multiple sources and honestly there is a very low chance yu is using his own money for this right now. While that happens rom time to time and people can lose everything "curt schilling" it doesn't really happen that much. He has probably already had money from sony to atleast create something small to show for the KS, he already said he has multiple backers and partners as well.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Jackie Fhan wrote:
Himuro wrote: No, you guys are using platitudes as if you know of the games development process. "Why don't they do this when they can do this?" I'm just throwing out the idea that maybe Suzuki funded the demo himself out of his own pocket. Which is much, much different than the other claims in this thread, because it's not even a claim, just a suggestion.

So we shouldn't use pictures that directly show what they have did? Throwing out the idea that Yu funded the idea himself isnt any different than the ideas we threw out. Man, you just don't get it.... Which is fine, you feel what you believe is more right than what others believe. .... If you can't see that, then it's cool. Hard to discuss with you logically.

Directly show what they did? Huh? You made a long post comparing a Kickstarter game pitch to games like The Last Of Us or Beyond or whatever. And you're talking about logic?

I don't understand the point of the topic? Tell me the point of the topic then. The title says "I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad". Why do you think?

Likelihoods:

1. Pressed for time
2. Pressed for money
3. Pressed for money AND time
4. Game is still in development and that's an early model that will be improved during development.

I'm not sure what there is to be confused about. It's a Kickstarter 3d game demo pitch. 3d games require lots of assets, time, money, and skill. Which they like did not have for the two models. The fact that they had ANYTHING is still pretty good.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Well, there is one way to put this arguement to rest.

Find the most recent modelling and animation work of the team working on Shenmue 3. That might shed light on how capable they on working with next gen graphics/models, which might help lean this arguement to one side or the other - we'll know if it really was just a matter of time and resources etc.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Or, we could just wait a year and see how the game looks. :-k
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Himuro wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

Directly show what they did? Huh? You made a long post comparing a Kickstarter game pitch to games like The Last Of Us or Beyond or whatever. And you're talking about logic?

I don't understand the point of the topic? Tell me the point of the topic then. The title says "I am a bit confused why the Ryo model looks so bad". Why do you think?

Likelihoods:

1. Pressed for time
2. Pressed for money
3. Pressed for money AND time
4. Game is still in development and that's an early model that will be improved during development.

I'm not sure what there is to be confused about. It's a Kickstarter 3d game demo pitch. 3d games require lots of assets, time, money, and skill. Which they like did not have for the two models. The fact that they had ANYTHING is still pretty good.

So you are proving you don't comprehend things. i clearly said that this is full finished games compared to a "demo, made by who, made in a short time" i covered all this already , you just didn't read it and let it sink in.

i was also replying to someone that said they were making it "like current things" the point was, I said it doesn't look like current things if that is what they were trying to do. The point is, I was going off HIS idea and talking about what he said. you still aren't getting it at all. I am comparing what I see, and there have been many games in concept that have looked good and had good character models.

Ryo looks bad no matter how you cut it, and there is a reason for that. time, budget, work force and we are only simply saying what we see now looks bad. It's like calling a dog a dog. You are really thinking way to much about this in the wrong way.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Himuro wrote: Or, we could just wait a year and see how the game looks. :-k

I already said this more than once, I feel you don't read or let thinks sink in very well..... i feel like I'm just repeating things over and over to you and you don't understand

This sentence was in the last line of the post with the photos

Let's see how it looks next year when the game is in development and they aren't worried about this KS and things.

you are saying what I'm saying as if I didn't say it.
Last edited by Jackie Fhan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ElephantStone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm a bit confused why anyone cares tbh. It's a concept model from before the game has even gathered enough funding to start development, and Yu Suzuki has already said he doesn't like it. I would put my house (if I had one) on it looking exactly like the old Ryo by the time the actual game comes out - any Shenmue fans seriously worried about this should probably chill.

ElephantStone has received a thanks from: Himuro
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:47 pm

ElephantStone wrote: I'm a bit confused why anyone cares tbh. It's a concept model from before the game has even gathered enough funding to start development, and Yu Suzuki has already said he doesn't like it. I would put my house (if I had one) on it looking exactly like the old Ryo by the time the actual game comes out - any Shenmue fans seriously worried about this should probably chill.

This is a silly sentence "confused why anyone cares'

do you know how often you could use such a setnence

I'm sure there are a lot of people that could say this about games in general, in fact yes I have heard it many times. Why do you waste your time with games blah blah

I have to give you a bit of info on basic human psychology but people care about what they care about, and that's just that man.

Most of the people in this thread have been relaxed, again we only pointed out what we see. Just like when you see a car or a man. You can simply have a straight opinion, that car is cool. That man is tall. We called it and discussed it. Nothing at all wrong with it, and some of us love design and creation. So, it's fun for us.

If you believe that most of believe that the model will always look like that, well.. I don't know why? we are simply talking about why they chose to make this model and not use the high scan models they have had .

Maybe they don't have full access to them, or maybe we.... we already talked about the possibilities a lot but a few of you are still missing the discussion of it all.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ElephantStone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Jackie, no offense mate, but it's really difficult reading your posts. You ramble on for paragraphs and paragraphs about random shit without actually saying anything.

Anywho, I'm just saying I think people are being silly by getting upset about a concept model that has been made before the game has even finished gathering funds to start development.

ElephantStone has received a thanks from: Himuro
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Jackie Fhan wrote:
Himuro wrote: Or, we could just wait a year and see how the game looks. :-k

I already said this more than once, I feel you don't read or let thinks sink in very well..... i feel like I'm just repeating things over and over to you and you don't understand.

In actuality, he was right though. They do look like modern game characters. You're just comparing it to the highest budget games you could find, which makes no sense because Shenmue III is not even targeting that.

Since Shenmue III is considered an indie title, you need to compare it to other indie games.

This is what 3d indie games look like:

And even then, even at this early stage, I think Shenmue III has better models than these games.

Indie games are rarely 3d. Perhaps you should be pondering as to why.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Three Blades » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Then if you a problem with Ryo's model voice your issues, but complaining about it now is stupid and a waste of energy.

No, complaining about it now is the best thing to do if it doesn't look good. This is a forum to discuss the game, and we're discussing what's been shown and how it could have been/could be better. We're using this forum exactly in the way that it's meant to be used.
We already know they're going to change it, and we already know the actual development hasn't started, but that has nothing to do with this discussion at all (as has been explained many times already). So it's dumb to keep pointing this out as if it had any relevance to what we're talking about.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Doom_Infinite » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Himuro >
No offense but I don't see how one can call any game aiming for over 10m in development costs alone an indie game. Maybe back in 2013-2014 when development costs were out of this world. With the engines such as Unity and Unreal 4 being more or less free when you use over 10m you're expected a AAA title. The Witcher 3 one of the most raved about AAA titles at the moment was reportedly only 12~15m in development (and total of 34m with marketing etc).
Doom_Infinite

Postby Jackie Fhan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm

Doom_Infinite wrote: Himuro >
No offense but I don't see how one can call any game aiming for over 10m in development costs alone an indie game. Maybe back in 2013-2014 when development costs were out of this world. With the engines such as Unity and Unreal 4 being more or less free when you use over 10m you're expected a AAA title. The Witcher 3 one of the most raved about AAA titles at the moment was reportedly only 12~15m in development (and total of 34m with marketing etc).

I'm not sure to call them Indie or not. We would also have to see how their team is at a later date. So far though, the talent isn't very indie at least.
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
Jackie Fhan wrote:

The question was always why did they use these and not their high target scans that look quite good.

Because while the new models might not look great on an artistic level they are superior on a technical level. I just re-watched the Kickstarter trailer and noticed immediate superiorities, Shenhua for example might not have had the best facial animation in a game ever but it is an improvement over the mouths in the Dreamcast games that just stretched as characters talked. Also the subtle wavering of Shenhua's clothing in the wind just before and after she jumped across the river were an effect I don't recall in old Shenmue games.

Those imperfections would have stood out more and Suzuki probably has to show something different rather than just higher resolutions.

So because they have a higher polycount, have more bones and better animations they're better models? Hmm...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III