KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward added.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:30 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: ^We don't know if Sony will be footing that bill, though. Maybe that is what they will help with? The localization side of it, I mean.

Sony's stake has been said to be only marketing, though. That is wishful thinking.

So who will be doing the localization, then? YSNet themselves? They can't speak English. 8-4? It's anybody's guess right now, hence why I am guessing Sony might be doing it.

Well, I assume VO is labeled as part as development?

Maybe Shibuya Productions.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Riku Rose wrote: An extra $500 above the next tier for a voice message is alot of money. If it was only $50 above a random tier I think you'd make more money then at $1000 simply because of how many people could actually afford to up their pledge.

It would mean also huge increase of voice work done by Corey Marshall. The $1000 amount (or even higher) is about the price in line with other KS projects with VO celebrities.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:40 pm

Himuro wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: ^We don't know if Sony will be footing that bill, though. Maybe that is what they will help with? The localization side of it, I mean.

Sony's stake has been said to be only marketing, though. That is wishful thinking.

So who will be doing the localization, then? YSNet themselves? They can't speak English. 8-4? It's anybody's guess right now, hence why I am guessing Sony might be doing it.

Well, I assume VO is labeled as part as development?

Maybe Shibuya Productions.

No. Voice acting is normally put under "localization" and handled by the translators (e.g. Alexander O. Smith, Jeremy Blaustein, 8-4 etc).

And yeah, maybe Shibuya Productions will, but they surely can't speak all of the languages that is part of the Kickstarter now?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:45 pm

VO is filed under localization, but again, Sony and YS have been adamant that they have nothing to do with the games prdocution, and VO is often considered a part of that. Also, the KS is going towards development costs - which includes VO and translation, as seen by the multiple language subtitle tiers - and Sony are not touching a cent of that. So which is it?

I hope to God someone schools Yu on English voice acting this time and has the courage to tell him,"No Yu, that fucking sucks. English speakers will laugh at it."

As for other languages, companies usually hire translators for that.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:50 pm

I hope the voice acting is as terrible as the original games. You've got to keep it consistent, yo.

"HEY MISTER, WANNA PLAY?"
"Maybe some other time"

"What can you tell me about that day?"
"Oh. That day?"
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Reprise wrote: I hope the voice acting is as terrible as the original games. You've got to keep it consistent, yo.

"Maybe some other time"

"Oh. That day?"

Shenmue 2 voice acting wasn't funny though, so it wouldn't exactly be consistent.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Reprise » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:32 pm

Himuro wrote:
Reprise wrote: I hope the voice acting is as terrible as the original games. You've got to keep it consistent, yo.

"Maybe some other time"

"Oh. That day?"

Shenmue 2 voice acting wasn't funny though, so it wouldn't exactly be consistent.

I wouldn't know. I only have the Dreamcast version. I did play the Xbox version once back in the day and remember something about it being very 'off' compared to the first game.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby jakester » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:28 pm

It wasn't a deal breaker for me given the shoestring budget but corey's VO was another part of Shenmue of which I have fond memories so I'm glad he's on board. When I told my older brother about S3 the first thing he did was joke about "the day of the incident" in that voice. I've managed to get him to make a small pledge too!

Riku Rose wrote: An extra $500 above the next tier for a voice message is alot of money. If it was only $50 above a random tier I think you'd make more money then at $1000 simply because of how many people could actually afford to up their pledge.

Yeah I was thinking that. Need to find that sweet spot!
jakester
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Snakiest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I don't think Corey wants to make hundreds of messages even it means more money for the project. -)

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:01 pm

So far 3 people have snatched this reward. I don't think it will be a whole lot more in the end, maybe 20 at best.

I can understand why people won't throw money at this reward but it's sad too. The money would be very welcome.
I agree that it would've been better to put this between and closer to other rewards or just put in there at 600 or 750 as that gap just has to be closed with something.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Snakiest wrote: I don't think Corey wants to make hundreds of messages even it means more money for the project. -)

In Yu we trust.

I really doubt Corey went to the negotiating table and had a list of demands of things he wants and things he won't do.

No offense to the guy but he's not Leonardo DiCaprio and he's not going to say fuck your 10 second voice messages I've got Steven Spielberg calling me on the other line I'm outta here. Plus if he did 100 I bet 50% of people would ask him to say something about sailors which they could rip from the game themselves already.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:15 pm

The reason why it took so long to negotiate a deal with him was because he kept replying "I see..."
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Snakiest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 pm

While it is all speculation, I doubt Corey really wanted to do it for money at all. He has a family, and I doubt he is out of work, so yes, he could just say no to pretty much anything - including doing the voice for the game. So I do think he sat down, talked it over, and agreed to help in a way which would not hurt him or his family in any way - be it financial or not.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:36 pm

Snakiest wrote: While it is all speculation, I doubt Corey really wanted to do it for money at all.

LOL

Come on, he's going to do a thousand lines for free?! I mean, it's not uncommon to happen on indie projects, but Corey doesn't have that kind of name power unfortunately, so I'm sure he takes what he can get.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Snakiest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Nah, I don't mean he is doing it for free, I mean he is not doing it for money only. Maybe he is not busy, but if somebody asked me to do something I would enjoy and do it for money, I would say no as I have other obligations. That's my point. You balance these things - money, work, family.

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III