KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward added.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS. Update #20: Corey Marshall returns & new reward adde

Postby SMDzero » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 am

I wonder what the stretch goals would have been beyond 11 million? Full voice acting?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:50 am

They should hire some cheap new independent VA if cost is that much of an issue. One of the best things about Shenmue is that everyone has a voice.

It still bugs me to this day when i play Yakuza and hear that keyboard clicking noise when i speak to an npc.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ys » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:55 am

Yokosuka wrote: The most concerning part is that stretch goal is supposed to be so high while he's the most essential English-speaking actor. Suzuki didn't lie when he said full voiced characters are not guaranteed.

That concerns me a bit. I would rather sacrifice some new feature so we could have full voice acting instead. The very fact that you could talk to almost everyone at any time made the series stand out to me and contributed greatly to the immersion. Not having this would make the game feel much more like a "standard" RPG to me. Hmm :-k
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Didn't they confirm Corey long before hitting 5mil? Odd.

Having less than full voice acting would be a pretty big blow. Hoping they find a way to make that work. I'd rather they have ditched Corey and English voice overs if they could guarantee full Japanese voice acting with subtitles. That way they'd only have to record once.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:04 pm

Yes, I really like the idea of ditching the English voice acting. But what the heck is the point of "revealing" stretch goals that have long been reached? :roll:

That's like saying: 4.7 million=Hiroaki Takeuchi returning. ](*,)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Yes, I really like the idea of ditching the English voice acting. But what the heck is the point of "revealing" stretch goals that have long been reached? :roll:

Looks like they have not provisional agreements with actors like they have with Takeuchi & co so they can't disclose out these stretch goals until the negotiations are done.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby punkmanced » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: Yes, I really like the idea of ditching the English voice acting. But what the heck is the point of "revealing" stretch goals that have long been reached? :roll:

Seriously, ditch that lame-ass English dub already, and allocate those funds toward full voice-acting in JPN.

Would anyone here even have considered passing on Shenmue 3 had it been JPN-subbed only?!
…I think not.

Also, since we’re retroactively revealing the obvious:
$3.6M = Manabu Takimoto (original environment designer) returns for S3! ;)

punkmanced has received a thanks from: fittersau
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:12 pm

It honestly saddens me how many people will quickly go ahead want to ditch the english voices despite that being the first exposure to shenmue that most of us had. It will break me if Corey couldn't come back, for me HE is Ryo.

(I'm not skipping the game if there wasn't eng voices, i will just pick the Text mode with no voices and just imagine Corey's voice)

Not having full voice acting also blows, but for me i wouldn't mind if we just had the English voices so we can have full English voice acting that way, but that's just me.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Amir » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Mandarin dub for 500% Authentic Experience

Also cheap Chinese voice actors

Amir has received a thanks from: fittersau
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby fittersau » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:10 pm

punkmanced wrote:

Seriously, ditch that lame-ass English dub already, and allocate those funds toward full voice-acting in JPN.

Would anyone here even have considered passing on Shenmue 3 had it been JPN-subbed only?!
…I think not.

Also, since we’re retroactively revealing the obvious:
$3.6M = Manabu Takimoto (original environment designer) returns for S3! ;)

Yeah Given the choice of a full Japanese dub or a half arsed dub on both Japanese and English, I'd take a full Japanese dub with Engliish subs.

The budget just isn't there for both.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:35 am

English or bust.

Thief has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:42 am

I prefer Kelso as Fuku-san and Guizhang but the Japanese voice actor for Ren was amazing. I don't know how much of that has to do with me growing up with US Shenmue and PAL Shenmue II but Guizhang sounds nowhere near as bad-ass in the Japanese dub to me and vice versa for Ren. Also they really need to bring back Paul Lucas, his Lan Di and Chai were iconic.

"Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming?... That's the name of the man you killed in Meng Cun..."

I had no fucking clue what that meant as a kid but it just sounded so cool.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:05 am

Didn't know for Lucas, wow this man has really a brilliant voice.

I think the best we can praise is a backers poll but I'm afraid things are done.

I thought about a dubs DLC pack (English, Mandarin) after YSnet get enough post-money but it's even more unrealistic if not useless to most customers who want to discover Shenmue 3 with the dub of their choice, not replay it.

From a Yu's perspective, he will certainly try to lower the number of NPCs and I would give him carte blanche as far as he doesn't intent to reduce the density of dialogues at the same time.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Amir » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:07 am

Bailu village sounds like it'll be pretty small and Suzuki is on record as saying Shenmue III expands inward not outward, so I think there'll be a lot less than 300 NPCs total, with most of them in Choubu, and the majority of the dialogue being between Ryo and Shenhua. I don't think full voice acting is out of the question.

So weird how the Japanese voice actor for Ren disappeared off the face of the Earth, though, he was so good.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:19 am

punkmanced wrote:Would anyone here even have considered passing on Shenmue 3 had it been JPN-subbed only?!
…I think not.

Most people here would buy the game if it was released exclusively on Dreamcast with a naked Al Gore on the cover, but I think they're hoping to cast their (Ys) net a little wider than the Shenmue Dojo forum.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III