Serious proposal: #30to3point6 - 1/10th of backers donate

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Serious proposal: #30to3point6 - 1/10th of backers donate

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:56 am

A somewhat crazy, and I'm certain NOT original, idea just occurred to me. I'd like to know what you guys think about this.

5,000 people. That's only 1/10th of all Shenmue 3 backers if we end up with 50,000, which seems very likely now. We are talking about a rabid, committed, Spartan-like-in-its-devotion fanbase. Surely 1/10th of us would be willing to do this.

Do what you ask? Assuming they add PayPal after the end of the Kickstarter, I propose 5,000 of us (or more, but I think the effort would be securing a core 5,000 really) make a pledge to try our utmost to donate just $30 every month in the two years between the Kickstarter's end, and July 2017. That would raise a grand total of 3.6 million (hence #30to3point6)

Am I daft? Have I gone off the rocker? Or might this actually be a real, tangible, FEASIBLE thing we can mobilize right now, lay plans for, and actually get off the ground like the brilliant #30onthe3rd? I'm in if you guys are (barring life emergencies of course - this is a commitment to a goal, not a contract written in blood lol.)

EDIT: Clarification of what I'm driving at here.

The hashtag isn't the important element, nor the amount per se. What I'm really driving at is some kind of forum topic or other means of compiling a list of people who are willing to say, YES, I will try my damndest to do this for the next couple of years. I don't mean anything official or with rewards (though if they wanted to do some kind of subscription service for hardcore supporters, that would be something I'd be down with too!) Just on a voluntary basis through PayPal (assuming they add it.)

I want some means of gauging the potential level of support for something like this because 1) the more feasible it appears based on the numbers, the more likely others might be to donate too since it wouldn't be to a lost cause, 2) PayPal donations don't get listed on a Ticker anywhere like KS donations do, so it would be nice to have some means of at least estimating where we are. Who knows if they would release donation totals like Star Citizen or not, after all? And 3) I just like the idea of a small band of committed fans continuing to act as financial supporters of the project in unison. I love how devoted and passionate this fanbase is and I wish to continue to do what little I can to support it in whatever way I can.
Last edited by Anonymous81 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Re: Serious proposal: #30to3point6 - 1/10th of backers donat

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:30 am

I think it's a great idea.
I've stated several times that I'm able to donate at least $500 a month if they offer a Paypal option.
That will be around $13,000 on top of my current KS pledge of $815 I will give towards development costs.

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: Fei Fong Wong
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:05 am

I'd do it, if not a bit more.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:25 am

i'm a strong believer in a post Kickstarter funding campaign that would coincide with the tweetathon every 3rd of month. the only problem i see if that specifying a particular amount might seem a bit greedy even though when you think about it, the amount is actually fairly modest.

idea rewards;
maybe if Suzuki could provide a modest reward for donating like a badge or sticker i think people would be more willing to accept the $30 suggestion.
30 dollars could be the minimum to get a sticker which would be the 'bronze level' as it were, but higher donations will be rewarded with a silver or gold sticker. (they could use the bronze, silver and gold medal designs from shenmue 2)

they could provide a different badge or sticker depending on the amount you donate, the design of which would change each month. this would create a incentive for people to donate each month so as to complete their sticker/badge collection.

the designs could be character art, or fan art, with annotations like "You have Ryo's thanks" or something like that.
Last edited by johnvivant on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: PacemaŜinobo
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:33 am

Is this kind of initiative could discourage Sony to invest more afterwards ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:40 am

Yokosuka wrote: Is this kind of initiative could discourage Sony to invest more afterwards ?

its worth considering.

maybe make the suggestion to suzuki and then he can initiate it himself if he needs it, rather than us doing it without his consent. we don't want to mess up any deals he's working on.

in the mean time we can just concentrate on the kickstarter success and reaching more of the stretch goals .
Last edited by johnvivant on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:40 am

I believe funding through out the life is the only way to the game(s) the way we need.

This is also why I don't mind dlc for the title as well as cross merchandise for toys, arcade games, fighting arenas etc
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Reprise » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 am

I imagine they will keep the same reward tiers, with payment via Paypal, after the Kickstarter ends. That's what Bloodstained has done and it makes sense. I don't think they will provide different rewards like tokens etc for people who want to donate additional money each month or when ever they can...

I'd be happy to donate a bit of money each month though. Doing it on the third of each month would be cool. It would be nice if they kept the stretch goals open on the site for a while and allowed us to continue to work towards them.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 am

I have no idea what that topic title even means.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby NeoShredder » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:01 am

I'm glad we're thinking about the future after the Kickstarter, but what about the final push here guys?

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: johnvivant
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:15 am

Peter wrote: I have no idea what that topic title even means.

No idea, I'm just going by the general idea lol

30 to 3.6 magnitude earthquake in yo face!
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:17 am

NeoShredder wrote: I'm glad we're thinking about the future after the Kickstarter, but what about the final push here guys?

Yes,I'm hoping we can get on the ball with the disc version and tweeting it. (that thread we got up)

And we need to create a very special campaign for the final 3 days, one for each day imo

My basic idea is, artwork and other special things, we count down from 3 (SH3) 2 (sh2) and (sh1) stories, gifs, videos ,use videos of each title. So for example streaming SH 2 on (2 days left of the KS) things like that.

Jackie Fhan has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Doom_Infinite » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:23 pm

I think $30 on the third was a great initiative but to be honest this sounds completely unrealistic. You won't find more than a couple hundred people willing to donate (this wouldn't even be pledge) for continued months like that. :/
Doom_Infinite
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Mr357 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:04 pm

We just hit 50,000 backers! \:D/

Maybe try a lower amount that more people can get on board with. $3 a month from a few thousand people for two or more years is still a lot of money. If people want to give more they certainly can.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:08 pm

NeoShredder wrote: I'm glad we're thinking about the future after the Kickstarter, but what about the final push here guys?

The final push hasn't been forgotten about, but we do need to start focusing on what we can do beyond the Kickstarter's end. I've pretty much exhausted what I can realistically pledge before July 18th but am doing everything I can to try and secure more funds for the final day.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III