How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler ShenmueII)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

Postby TheThirdComing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:53 am

I raised this debate when I joined the forum, it is an interesting one. What is more interesting is the timing. Obviously we have had to wait 14 years already for all this to happen, will the supernatural elements suddenly implemented into the new game after all this time seem even more jarring than had Shenmue 3 been released on the Dreamcast? It could conflict with a lot of peoples nostalgia for the series that's for sure.

I'm also interested to see how the series can maintain is City life structure when you're now being exposed to all these supernatural elements, will Ryo still be able to idly plop money into capsule toy machines?
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:57 am

ElephantStone wrote:
Axm wrote:Dont expect anything near Shenmue Online levels of rediculousness. That was obviously an exageration for the purpose of making an MMO that apeals to Chinese people that play WoW.

To be honest, the only thing in the Shenmue Online trailers that was fucking stupid was a bunch of random, goofy-looking characters being there, and having unexplained martial arts/magic abilities. Everything else was fucking awesome. Ryo decking those Chi You Men goons with a flying roundhouse was cooler than pretty much every fight scene in Shenmue I and II.

The physical manifestation of the dragon and phoenix was fucking awesome too imo, and I think people are going to be disappointed with the rest of the series if they thought that was dumb.

That was all fine.
I'm speaking more of the man from cyber space wearing a Final Fantasy jacket, portaling in through thin air and then channeling a simultanious hadoken.
I dont think anyone could possibly like that unless they are a Chinese WoW gold farmer.

But ya, magic.. its real and it'll be in Shenmue no doubt about it.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby TheThirdComing » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:00 am

I really dont want it to become like an epic anime fight with floating fighters. One of the biggest issues I had with the Final Fantasy VII movie (Advent Children) was how all the characters could pretty much fly. While in the main game they were all grounded.
TheThirdComing

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:15 am

I expect, in case magic is in Shenmue, that this magic will be based upon chinese real traditions, martial arts, mysteries and legends. I would be totally ok with that, but don't know if a flying sword, hadoukens with blue auras or shit like that would seems ok in that world...
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue I

Re: How much

Postby ElephantStone » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:20 am

Axm wrote:I'm speaking more of the man from cyber space wearing a Final Fantasy jacket, portaling in through thin air and then channeling a simultanious hadoken.
I dont think anyone could possibly like that unless they are a Chinese WoW gold farmer.

Totally agreed. That shit was groan-inducing.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby Coxy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:47 am

I think they will ease you into it, there will probably be some stuff with Shenhua linking to her ancestors or something like that, not Ryo vomiting gundam lazers at enemies
Coxy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby joka » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:02 am

It's difficult to say storywise...

you've got all the underlying aspects like the prophecies of the mirror opening a gateway for chi you which Chen explained to Ryo- that would be pretty out there! But then Zhu showed Ryo the mirrors made a map to treasure of sorts...

I think combat wise it'll stay pretty grounded- enhanced with some Ki (sp?) moves courtesy of Shenhua.

Anything more likely cut scene/qte based and probably sparingly.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby ShenRy092 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 am

The Magic stuff is actually shown first in Shenmue 1 not at the cave of Shenmue 2.

phpBB [video]
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 am

ShenRy092 wrote: The Magic stuff is actually shown first in Shenmue 1 not at the cave of Shenmue 2.

It's just a way for getting clues if you're stuck, integrated in the game, but not in the plot. Shenmue II has also a fortune teller. They exist in the real life (not as doing magic, or actually telling you anything about your real future, obviously a scam, but they are there).
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenRy092 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:39 am

The person appear inside the crystal ball..... How is that not magic?

phpBB [video]
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:00 am

ShenRy092 wrote: The person appear inside the crystal ball..... How is that not magic?

I didn't say that it's not magic, i said that is integrated in the game, not in the plot, plus Ryo isn't reacting like "WTF, is this real?". It's more a system for the player, not for Ryo. And that's the key, it's a system, it's integrated for giving clues to the player. She is not in the plot, nor her magic powers, it would be ridiculous.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenRy092 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:09 am

She probably might be. I think Mr. Suzuki might make her more magical in Shenmue 3 or beyond.
ShenRy092
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby 7heavens » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 am

Looking into a crystal ball or a mirror or water and seeing events/communicating with supernatural entities is an actual occult practice that people do in the real world. Its not a scam in every case. There are many people involved with the occult and not everyone is out there to fool people or make money.

The reality if the matter is that the real world is sometimes more stranger than fiction.

A little video for you pleasure:
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Consider the second video to be a real life version of a hadouken. A full documentary can be found on YouTube.
7heavens

Postby Otacon_ahs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 am

7heavens wrote: Looking into a crystal ball or a mirror or water and seeing events/communicating with supernatural entities is an actual occult practice that people do in the real world. Its not a scam in every case. There are many people involved with the occult and not everyone is out there to fool people or make money.

The reality if the matter is that the real world is sometimes more stranger than fiction.

There's no scientific proof. Every man and woman with supposed "supernatural" powers have been debunked.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi
"The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) offers a prize of US$1,000,000 to eligible applicants who are able to demonstrate a supernatural ability under scientific testing criteria agreed to by both sides."

So as far as i'm concerned, they are scams until they can prove their powers, one thing that could be easy as hell if they would have any.

(Sorry to everyone if this is considered off-tpic or something like that).
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:21 am

Been saying this for years, if you didn't see the magical elements coming from the beginning of Shenmue 1 you really weren't paying attention, you wouldn't kill over a mirror unless it had some mystical power, a young girl has a prophecy of ryo coming (magical), ryo has dreams of a girl he has never met and then a floating sword. I've been prepared since 1999 for it to have magical elements. you even see some in project Berkley.

And I look forward to it! :)
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III