How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler ShenmueII)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How much "magic" will be in Shenmue III? (spoiler Shenmu

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Overrally, Shenmue world was more about an anime for children with typical unrealistic and stylized things rather than pure magic...

LOL I never heard a fan describe Shenmue that way...
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:10 pm

For children ? I didn't mean that. Just the way a scenarist gives more energy or simplicity to his script.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Wow i was not expecting so much denial in this thread.

Yes guys, magic is a big component of Shenmue and if you arent expecting it, frankly you are blind.

Lets recap:

- Lan Di kills Iwao over a mirror

- Chen explanation about Chi You Men trying to "revive" Chiyou

- Zu explanation with the mirror projecting lights outta nowhere

- Shenmue tree giving a "supernatural" sense of protection, Ryo feels connected to it even if he was born in Japan

- Bailu village ANCIENT Prophecy, Phoenix vs Dragon

- Ryo being "the one"

- Flying swords

I mean, really people arent expecting much "magic"? Lan Di killed Iwao in 10 seconds, and Iwao trained like 30 years more than Ryo. How do you expect Ryo to beat Lan Di without magic?

Shenhua-Nani? has received a thanks from: Wude-Tang Clan
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:- Zu explanation with the mirror projecting lights outta nowhere

To be fair, that's not really magic or uncommon in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLC5a1w-Gw
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Otacon_ahs » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:07 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:

- Lan Di kills Iwao over a mirror

That doesn't instantly means, lol, give me mah magic. People can kill over objects because they have some value. Lan Di killing someone doesn't proof anything related to magic, plus that wasn't the only reason for him.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
- Chen explanation about Chi You Men trying to "revive" Chiyou

Chinese people trying to do something about chinese folklore.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
- Zu explanation with the mirror projecting lights outta nowhere

Well, a mirror reflects light. Plus Himuro post.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:
- Shenmue tree giving a "supernatural" sense of protection, Ryo feels connected to it even if he was born in Japan

You can feel peace, protection, or some spiritual feelings in many places in the world like temples, and that doesn't mean that there's something supernatural at all there.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:- Bailu village ANCIENT Prophecy, Phoenix vs Dragon

It's a prophecy, and it's ancient... ok. Like ancient chinese prophecies, or Nostradamus sayin' nonsense.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:- Ryo being "the one"

I don't get it. You means the prophecies and Shenhua? "Destiny" or "gods playing with the characters" are common topics, and that kind of "magic" is not explicit.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:- Flying swords

Yep, flying sword is magic. It's mainly my concern.

Shenhua-Nani? wrote:I mean, really people arent expecting much "magic"? Lan Di killed Iwao in 10 seconds, and Iwao trained like 30 years more than Ryo. How do you expect Ryo to beat Lan Di without magic?

A lot of films about kung-fu or The Lone Wolf and Cub are not about how many time they train, but how the characters learn with some encounters or have a desire for revenge. It's all about the journey.

I mean, there's no much proof of magic in Shenmue (yet). We can point Project Berkley, and yes, there's magic there, but i remain sceptic about that. 14 years of Yu Suzuki not telling too much, and a whole video from Berkley that could be a major spoiler for a 11 chapter saga?
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Postby ElephantStone » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Otacon you're going to be massively disappointed with Shenmue III mate. There's going to be magic in it whether you like it or not. Probably a whole lot more ridiculous than the flying sword, too. So better prepare yourself to be hugely let down if that is going to ruin Shenmue for you.
ElephantStone
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 pm

I welcome the magical aspects and that has been one of my main curiosities over the years. How deep will this whole magical/mystical/asian martial arts magic idea go? I think it can be implemented right, but it cant go like dragonball z style like they tried to do in Shenmue Online. it needs to be more subtle, but if Ryo gets powers, that would be cool. what if he learns it from the people revived from the Qing dynasty with the mirrors?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Three Blades » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 pm

There's also a part where Shenha controls some flower petals with her mind if I remember correctly, but I haven't seen it for years so I could be remembering it wrong.

About the part with Ryo remembering the tree though, I always assumed that Ryo actually went to China with his dad but was too young to remember it, other than a vague feeling of having seen that tree before. And I also think that ShenHua is his half-sister, but that's just my hunch and isn't based on anything substantial from the game, so it's most likely wrong.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:13 am

Three Blades wrote:There's also a part where Shenha controls some flower petals with her mind if I remember correctly, but I haven't seen it for years so I could be remembering it wrong.

About the part with Ryo remembering the tree though, I always assumed that Ryo actually went to China with his dad but was too young to remember it, other than a vague feeling of having seen that tree before. And I also think that ShenHua is his half-sister, but that's just my hunch and isn't based on anything substantial from the game, so it's most likely wrong.

You're right (think they're dandelion seeds more than petals though).

https://youtu.be/calXXkxWbWI

And yea in terms of Ryo remembering China Ive always thought Ryo was born in China and they have the same mother.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:25 am

Right, tampopo means dandelions. Ryo also says that he remember playing with those flowers as a kid. Another hint that maybe he has been there before? Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here :)

Same mother, maybe, or at least maybe Iwao is also Shenhua's father. It could be that Ryo travelled there with his father as a baby. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did have the same mother. Of course, maybe this is completely wrong and they aren't related at all! At least we'll find out soon enough :D
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:30 am

To be fair, everyone on just about every continent played with dandelions as a kid, so I just thought that it meant he played with them in Japan.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:32 am

lol, yeah I was just thinking that too.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Otacon_ahs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:25 am

ElephantStone wrote: Otacon you're going to be massively disappointed with Shenmue III mate.

Yep, maybe. Anyway, i'm excited about Shenmue III, and i think it was an interesting conversation. We'll see what Shenmue III has to show. Thank you all.
Otacon_ahs
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue I

Previous

Return to Shenmue III