New to Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New to Shenmue

Postby Testament » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:50 pm

Since these are games so focused on immersion and exploration, there is simply no way to have their stories described to you or watch Youtube videos and appreciate Shenmue III. It might sound like a pain or a financial problem, but you really, really need to play them. And once you do, you'll understand why.
Testament
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Yeah! Grab a wonderfull dreamcast, a old crt tv, a rgb video cable and S1 & 2, the experience of your life awaits, i never recommend to not play and see in videos, because this is not a "game" its a experience, and thats something you cant sense if you dont "play it".
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:25 pm

shredingskin wrote: Download the discs and play it on nulldc, the closest to Shenmue HD at the moment.

Also you can run the game at double triple speed (useful in the first game if you don't want to wait).

This.

Locke_cole wrote: Dont watch it on youtube, you have to play it...it is an experience for sure.

And this.

NullDC is very easy to setup, if the series interests you thats the best way.
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ConanTheKing » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Testament wrote: Since these are games so focused on immersion and exploration, there is simply no way to have their stories described to you or watch Youtube videos and appreciate Shenmue III. It might sound like a pain or a financial problem, but you really, really need to play them. And once you do, you'll understand why.

It's like Star Wars, the original trilogy. Special effects are so over used in films today that kids just can't be wowed and amazed by the original Star Wars films anymore, their special effects are no longer mind blowing.

Today people are used to massive games like Skyrim, Shenmue isn't cutting edge anymore. While the original poster can get a Dreamcast and a copy, it might not be as captivating of an experience now as it was back then.

ConanTheKing has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby alvlegacy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:12 am

Aenae wrote: Hi! I am totally new to Shenmue but I loved everything I have read about it so far. I recently supported Shenmue III and I can't wait to play it!

I am wondering how I in the best/easiest way can get the backstory information I need to be able to enjoy Shenmue III fully? Should I watch all the cut scenes from the first game on YouTube (does it exists for Shenmue II as well?), or what should I do to get to know all the story of the game I need up to Shenmue III?

I have never really jumped into a game without being there from the start, so I am not really sure how to do it the best/easiest way and would like some help.

Sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum for my question.

Hi Aenae,

Glad to know that you are interested in finding out about Shenmue's story. You may check out the Shenmue synopsis site at:

http://shenmuesaga.blogspot.sg/2015/07/ ... opsis.html
http://shenmuesaga.blogspot.sg/2015/07/ ... sis_4.html

It tells all the important plot details of Shenmue 1 & 2 without having to scan through hours of gameplay videos skipping over non story related scenes. Enjoy!!
alvlegacy
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue III