KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: KS Update #36: New Trailer & NPC Reward Added

Postby joka » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:38 am

I appreciate they provided a scene for the backers :)

It would suggest they are going to start Shenmue 3 before the final part of S2 - as it is obviously inspired by the fireflies scene but we shall see I guess... Yu's Twitter response can be taken either way.

It's not supposed to be a like for like scene so I don't see much point in reading too much into it.

The new reward is cool too! :)
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby punkmanced » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:43 am

Ryo Fhan wrote:
Phong wrote: I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want my name to appear in this game.

well this is basically something they made for the KS, the game isn't really in development at all. at least I hope they do'nt keep that style, texture work etc

Good textures would go a long way

Well...this scene isn't going to attract any new backers, that's for sure.
Potential backers (ie non fans) will just be like "wtf".

Personally, I'm not overly enthusiastic at the notion of releasing pre-pre-alpha designs, or roughly animated scenes in the first place. It's confusing at best, and potentially harmful at worst . What's the point exactly? I'd much rather have Suzuki take his time without having to worry about churning something out every week and redesigning it ad nauseam.

Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Nocon's work: he shows it off when it's ready, and, lo and behold, receives unanimous praise.

Anyway, it's a "nice" sentiment a couple of days before the KS ends, I suppose... though I could've done without it.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Phong
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:44 am

Are you all so impressed by shiny glowy things? The potential looks bad. If it was rushed to "please the fans" then am I not a fan? I thought I was!

I was putting down over three grand on this and now I'm like, "WTF?"

There's better stuff out there made BY fans.

phpBB [video]
Phong
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:47 am

Phong wrote: I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or Ryo's weird face or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The firefly scene wasn't anything like that in Shenmue II.

I feel kinda sick.

I'm going to take your words and splice them in reference to another tech demo.

phpBB [video]

I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or the fact it looks scripted or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The battle system was nothing like that in Final Fantasy VI.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want Final Fantasy VII to be in my game collection.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Jibby
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby punkmanced » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:50 am

Phong wrote: Are you all so impressed by shiny glowy things? The potential looks bad. If it was rushed to "please the fans" then am I not a fan? I thought I was!

Please don't retract your contribution. The final game will undoubtedly be awesome.
(In spite of the poorly-managed KS campaign)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:52 am

punkmanced wrote:
Ryo Fhan wrote:

I feel kinda sick.

well this is basically something they made for the KS, the game isn't really in development at all. at least I hope they do'nt keep that style, texture work etc

Good textures would go a long way

Well...this scene isn't going to attract any new backers, that's for sure.
Potential backers (ie non fans) will just be like "wtf".

Personally, I'm not overly enthusiastic at the notion of releasing pre-pre-alpha designs, or roughly animated scenes in the first place. It's confusing at best, and potentially harmful at worst . What's the point exactly? I'd much rather have Suzuki take his time without having to worry about churning something out every week and redesigning it ad nauseam.

Not to beat a dead horse, but look at Nocon's work: he shows it off when it's ready, and, lo and behold, receives unanimous praise.

Anyway, it's a "nice" sentiment a couple of days before the KS ends, I suppose... though I could've done without it.

You are being highly illogical.

Necon is a fan who has no deadlines to meet. He also doesn't have to appease 55k people who gave him 5million dollars and has to show progress or ideas of what the game would look. You're comparing a kickstarted project, which by necessity, has to show ideas of what they want the game to look like to draw pledges and show that they're working on SOMETHING to a FAN - that isn't doing it for money or has a deadline?

Has your brain leaked out of your head?

What are you expecting? Expect many similar non final videos throughout the games development due to the Kickstart platform and having to answer to 55k or more people.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: kanso, NeoShredder
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:54 am

Phong wrote: Are you all so impressed by shiny glowy things? The potential looks bad. If it was rushed to "please the fans" then am I not a fan? I thought I was!

phpBB [video]

You're a fan. You 're just a fan with highly illogical and impossible standards to meet that you're willing to withdraw your pledge due to a pre-alpha tech demo that likely came out of Suzuki's own pocket.

Himuro has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 am

Himuro wrote:

I feel kinda sick.

I'm going to take your words and splice them in reference to another tech demo.

phpBB [video]

I'm sorry but this looks very, very bad. It's not just the aesthetics that look bad or the animation or the fact it looks scripted or anything that could be refined later, it's just plain cheesy. The battle system was nothing like that in Final Fantasy VI.

I feel kinda sick.

Like, maybe I don't want Final Fantasy VII to be in my game collection.

I'll still buy Shenmue 3! I'll still play it and own it.

I'm just thinking, maybe I shouldn't invest thousands of dollars in it.
Phong

Postby Mystere » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:59 am

Yeah, except that "Shenmue HD" fan video wasn't thrown together over a week or so. I'd bet money YsNet only decided to make this under some heavy pressure from Biscay, passed on from fans - so a real short window here.

No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

As for cheap - well, yes it is mate... That's why we have a Kickstarter!

Mystere has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 am

Himuro wrote: You're a fan. You 're just a fan with highly illogical and impossible standards to meet that you're willing to withdraw your pledge due to a pre-alpha tech demo that likely came out of Suzuki's own pocket.

My "impossible" standard would have been to not make a video at all than to rush a cheapening re-imagining of something I already liked.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be distracted by some other shiny thing as I mull reducing my pledge.
Phong

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:04 am

Mystere wrote:
Phong wrote:Compare that scene to the original.

phpBB [video]

Better textures or animation are not exactly going to change the "oh look shiny glowy things!" tenor of that scene and its departure from the original, which was "be careful or you'll get bit."

That was an interesting scene for me and now they're screwing with it to say "look shiny kickstarter!"

That's just cheap, guys. Cheesy. Cheap.

Come on, man. You're comparing something from a completed game, to a pre-development tech demo rushed out to please the fans.

This is the rushiest of rush jobs, and is probably what Cedric was referring to at the weekend when he said they were "working on something", but he wasn't sure they could do it. It's a 30-second tech demo for a game that hasn't been funded yet. Give 'em a chance.

Yup, and the point of a teaser/trailer like this is to grab attention, so "look shiny kickstarter!" is quite appropriate, even if on the cheesy side. I don't think "be careful or you'll get bit" is as attention grabbing, let alone the fact they didn't have time to record VO so there's no way to communicate that in this trailer.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 am

That video got me all warm and fuzzy inside, nostalgia alert! :heart:

PS. I think some of you are expecting too much too soon. A mere month after the Kickstarter was unveiled and none of this funding has been given to Yu and his team yet. This trailer is so much better than nothing right now. We've got two and a half years of development time to go, ease up a bit guys :P
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:08 am

Phong wrote:
Himuro wrote: You're a fan. You 're just a fan with highly illogical and impossible standards to meet that you're willing to withdraw your pledge due to a pre-alpha tech demo that likely came out of Suzuki's own pocket.

My "impossible" standard would have been to not make a video at all than to rush a cheapening re-imagining of something I already liked.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be distracted by some other shiny thing as I mull reducing my pledge.

Right. So tell me, how long did it take NoCon to make the Hazuki Dojo location and make that video? Do you know? It took NoCon 8 months between the last video and the Hazuki video released today yet you're comparing this to a pre-alpha tech demo likely paid with Suzuki's own money to show people SOMETHING that was likely done within the span of a week or two.

I'm sorry, but I'm bookmarking this thread, so that when an official trailer comes out with more finalized models and animation in about a year or so, you can eat delicious crow while you cry that you no longer have a pledge because you were being highly reactionary to one of the most small of offenses.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Phong » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:08 am

Mystere wrote:No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

Then why was that video necessary? Who was it for?

DBZ fans who think that maybe Shenhua was going Super Saiyan? Final Fantasy fans? Or Shenmue fans?

I don't get it at all.

Saying that I'm expecting too much is wrong because I wasn't expecting anything at all. I had literally zero expectations for a new video and was let down.
Phong

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:13 am

Phong wrote:
Mystere wrote:No one's gonna disagree with you about the Shenmue II version's superior art direction / pace (it truly is one of my favourites from the game). But don't forget, Yu Suzuki oversaw that scene too - doesn't this man deserve our faith and patience?

Then why was that video necessary? Who was it for?

DBZ fans who think that maybe Shenhua was going Super Saiyan? Final Fantasy fans? Or Shenmue fans?

I don't get it at all.

Saying that I'm expecting too much is wrong because I wasn't expecting anything at all. I had literally zero expectations for a new video and was let down.

Oh yeah, man. Shenhua having magic powers is totally new and it could not ever appeal to any Shenmue fan ever.

There's especially not a part in the second game where she literally blows Dandelion seeds with her ki.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III