Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Anyone worried that Yu might listen to the fans too much

Postby zema » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm

They don't seem that different from the 80s arcades to me.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 pm

0rganiker wrote: So... Yu said calling cards wouldn't exist in that time period and yet he's including them. You Non-VF guys should be against that too, then, right?

Yes, I'm against the idea. It would take away the impact of his return home/epilogue, if it happens. Writing letters would be more appropriate, perhaps with a voice over monologue when he reads them, however I'm also against that idea.

Personally the only reason why I wanted that tier is because I want the full fucking game, and not some watered-down version they release to the masses. Almost as bad as disc-locked content, imo (which it may very well be)

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: shenmue852
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

0rganiker wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: words

Really? I can't compare two things because they are in some ways different? I mean, I guess we can't ever compare any two things, right? I mean, if there's any game that can be compared to a film it would be Shenmue considering how many film-type professionals he collaborated with to make his masterpiece.

I feel like no one who read what I said actually read all of it or understood the jist of what I was saying. I was pointing out that original question sparking this thread isn't completely unjustified, but I also said I didn't believe it was going to be a problem since I've got faith that Yu is, well.. Yu.

You obviously didnt bother to read any of the information I provided to you, and "words"? NIce, good one...

I read your post just fine, and most of it wasnt even necessary to say because it seems you dont have all the correct information regarding Shenmue.

And I did get what you were trying to say, you were comparing the story configuration between the 2 Star Wars trilogies to that of Shenmue. Its not the best example, but as I said before none of it even applys because you apparently dont have the right information regarding Shenmue and its story. Watch the Postmortem and it will make more sense about the other shenmue chapters. Dont get your knickers in a twist, I was trying to educate you so you can make better sense of it all.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:33 pm

The " I trust Suzuki, everything is gonna be fine." posts aren't helping. Yeah, everyone here trusts Suzuki, myself included. But there's always the chance that he might feel too indebted to the backers and have them effect his creative vision.

I mean, he is basically veering off his game design philosophy of not listening to other's opinions, and going out of his way to say that the fan's feedback will shape the game. This is a drastic change... I personally don't want to take chances and say "Don't worry guys! I'm sure Suzuki meant stuff like Camera & Controls! His S3 vision is already written and in place!". I would rather tell him to follow his own vision right now before development progresses any further.
Last edited by Rikitatsu on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:53 pm

zema wrote: Image

As much as I love VF2, I've always hated the cab...
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShinChuck » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:49 pm

zema wrote: Image

I concur. Considering we had a Sega Saturn and games on CD in Shenmue 1, I wouldn't mind an unobtrusive VF cabinet. I thought they did very well with retaining immersion while having that Saturn.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Sh3ppy » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: The " I trust Suzuki, everything is gonna be fine." posts aren't helping. Yeah, everyone here trusts Suzuki, myself included. But there's always the chance that he might feel too indebted to the backers and have them effect his creative vision.

I mean, he is basically veering off his game design philosophy of not listening to other's opinions, and going out of his way to say that the fan's feedback will shape the game. This is a drastic change... I personally don't want to take chances and say "Don't worry guys! I'm sure Suzuki meant stuff like Camera & Controls! His S3 vision is already written and in place!". I would rather tell him to follow his own vision right now before development progresses any further.

I really hope Yu doesn't deviate too far from how he would have made it, were he able to finance the project himself. If there was a way to once & for all send him a clear message stating what you said above, I'd participate in a heartbeat.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby 0rganiker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:16 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote:
0rganiker wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: words

Really? I can't compare two things because they are in some ways different? I mean, I guess we can't ever compare any two things, right? I mean, if there's any game that can be compared to a film it would be Shenmue considering how many film-type professionals he collaborated with to make his masterpiece.

I feel like no one who read what I said actually read all of it or understood the jist of what I was saying. I was pointing out that original question sparking this thread isn't completely unjustified, but I also said I didn't believe it was going to be a problem since I've got faith that Yu is, well.. Yu.

You obviously didnt bother to read any of the information I provided to you, and "words"? NIce, good one...

I read your post just fine, and most of it wasnt even necessary to say because it seems you dont have all the correct information regarding Shenmue.

And I did get what you were trying to say, you were comparing the story configuration between the 2 Star Wars trilogies to that of Shenmue. Its not the best example, but as I said before none of it even applys because you apparently dont have the right information regarding Shenmue and its story. Watch the Postmortem and it will make more sense about the other shenmue chapters. Dont get your knickers in a twist, I was trying to educate you so you can make better sense of it all.

You're in no position to educate anyone. I watched the postmortem long before this conversation and that information was part of the basis for my choice of analogy. I don't think we're going to see eye to eye though since we're just talking past one another. I mean, I said "words" because the time it would take to actually point out all the issues with your post would be prohibitive. I'm fine just disagreeing at this point. Also, sorry to everyone else for mucking up the thread.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Deleted my previous post.

I have no idea what this guy is freaking out about at this point, or what points he was ever trying to make to begin with, if you watched the post mortem already and know the general story and chapter structure of the Shenmue series, and KNOW that the story portion is completed and has been for some time. I dont get what the fuss is about.

I just wanna say this, Shenmue is a game that expands upon how much time you put into it. Especially in the case of characters, their depth and back stories personalities are all fleshed out based on how much time and effort you put into them. Yu knows how much to put in and leave out in regard to the character depth and information that needs to be provided, shenmue has always been incredibly mysterious (one of the reasons it gets its hooks into you the way it does) and the characters are no different. There is so much optional character development in Shenmue, its just simply not fair to say he may he may focus to much on this fan favorite character or the other. I doubt hes going to make drastic changes to a formula that is already great, improvements for this generation of hardware and improved game play aspects and options is about all im fore seeing being different.

Issues with the star wars comparison: First of all we are going forwards in time in shenmue, not backwards with the prequel trilogy. I realize its a been long time since Yu has worked on Shenmue, similarly to the way George Lucas had a good while between episodes 4 5 6 and going back and doing 1 2 3. There really isnt much to compare beyond that, we dont know what exactly Yu will do after all this time, but I think assuming he might pull a George Lucas with the story is mere overthought paranoid conjecture.

I dont believe he is making Shenmue 3 to try to sell more copies than the previous 2 games, Yu has nothing stopping him from making the games HE wants to make, no Sega execs in his way. Or in the case of the George Lucas comparison, no hollywood 20th Century Fox execs. Shenmue 3 has gone indie, which to me means if anything, he has even more freedom than before. Whether or not thats an issue is remained to be seen but at this point we dont have much reason to doubt him.

GOD I HOPE WE DONT HAVE VERBAL EXCHANGES SIMILAR TO THESE FROM NOW UNTIL 2017 JESUS CHRIST!!!! ](*,)
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:16 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: GOD I HOPE WE DONT HAVE VERBAL EXCHANGES SIMILAR TO THESE FROM NOW UNTIL 2017 JESUS CHRIST!!!! ](*,)

It's gonna be a long 2 years. :lol:

Wude-Tang Clan has received a thanks from: NeoShredder
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:43 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Deleted my previous post.
I have no idea what this guy is freaking out about at this point, or what points he was ever trying to make to begin with, if you watched the post mortem already and know the general story and chapter structure of the Shenmue series, and KNOW that the story portion is completed and has been for some time. I dont get what the fuss is about.

Just because the story is completed doesn't mean it's set in stone... For example, maybe Suzuki planned for Ren or a fan-favorite character to die in Shenmue 3, but after polling the backers he decided against that.

Do I think Suzuki will make a drastic move such as that? No, I don't.
But there is a chance he might, especially since he has gone out of his way to say that he will abandon his old design philosophy of strictly following his vision and not be influenced by what others think.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: 0rganiker, punkmanced
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby 0rganiker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:Do I think Suzuki will make a drastic move such as that? No, I don't.
But there is a chance he might, especially since he has gone out of his way to say that he will abandon his old design philosophy of strictly following his vision and not be influenced by what others think.

Pretty much this. The idea isn't coming out of thin air, it's specifically because Yu said he would do things differently this time. I believe Yu is a professional and he's not going to cater to fans in such a way that jeopardizes the integrity of the story, and I'm hoping that it was just a bad translation. If that translation is accurate, though, it's not something to be brushed off.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:56 am

"Phonecards have been collected worldwide since the mid-1970s and peaked in the mid-1990s, when over 2 million people collected phonecards."

-from wikipedia.

i've already explained the difference beween references, and people seem incapable of understanding my posts and either citing faulty arguments (that the \Saturn is precedence for period inaccuracy when it's included as a reference and not meant to be a 32 bit console within the game) or simply citing things that are flat out false (no phone cards in the 80s)
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 am

0rganiker wrote: So... Yu said calling cards wouldn't exist in that time period and yet he's including them. You Non-VF guys should be against that too, then, right?

phpBB [video]

Well, typically for the VF inclusion argument, you're flat out wrong.

"Phonecards have been collected worldwide since the mid-1970s and peaked in the mid-1990s, when over 2 million people collected phonecards."

What Yu meant was they weren't commonly available in China at the time- but obviously, even during communism, some people, especially visiting foreigners, had the ability to make long distance calls. a Phonecard could easily have been purchased in Hong Kong.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: 0rganiker
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III