Returning characters for Shenmue 3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Returning characters for Shenmue 3?

Postby Abz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:39 pm

I was just thinking with the way the Shenmue story seems to be heading and as it stands Ren is one of the main returning characters confirmed for Shenmue 3. I would love to see Gui Zhang or any other characters from the first shenmue return for the third game.
Abz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: solja_g-123
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 2

Re: Returning characters for Shenmue 3?

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:00 pm

Hopefully as few as possible. No Wong, Joy, or anything like that. Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di. That's it. Everyone else gets a phone call.

Himuro has received 2 thanks from: starscream178, Yokosuka
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby zema » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:09 pm

I have mixed feelings on this topic.

For instance who wouldn't want to see xiuying or nozomi return with the new graphics from unreal engine 4?

But when i look back on shenmue2, i realize that a big part that i loved about the game was the interaction with the new characters. I still loved the characters from shenmue1 but really enjoyed the new faces.
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I find Ryo being surrounded by new faces in each new Shenmue game a fairly important aspect of his journey. I think Ren and Shenhua should be the only constants.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Himuro wrote: Hopefully as few as possible. No Wong, Joy, or anything like that. Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di. That's it. Everyone else gets a phone call.

This. Please allow me for once to express my feeling towards Wong. I never liked that little brat and I would have preferred for Dou Niu to just drop him off the roof. :lol:

Would love to see Guizhang again, however. One of my top 5 all-time favorites in Shenmue.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby redline » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Himuro wrote: Hopefully as few as possible. No Wong, Joy, or anything like that. Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di. That's it. Everyone else gets a phone call.

This. Please allow me for once to express my feeling towards Wong. I never liked that little brat and I would have preferred for Dou Niu to just drop him off the roof. :lol:

Would love to see Guizhang again, however. One of my top 5 all-time favorites in Shenmue.

english wong or japanese wong?

japanese wong seemd ok. i never got to meet english wong. lol
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Both. But probably Japanese one even more. I hated the way he always called Ryo "Nija" or "Onija". At least that's how it sounded to me. I don't speak Japanese. :lol:

But I have always hated him for being such a snotty little brat.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:45 pm

Well we know these characters have been confirmed so far (aside from the obvious ones like Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di) SPOILERS, obviously:

Ren and Chai. Ren was obvious, Chai is legitimately a surprise announcement. I do think it's a good thing though and I bet if we're getting Chai then Guizhang should be a lock too since he could get his revenge on Chai for injuring him (lol). Seriously though, I think Guizhang may show up again at some point if not in 3, then 4, just due to his popularity amongst the fans. It's between him, Lan Di, Chai and Ren who is my favourite character so far in the saga.

Aside from Guizhang, I also think Xiuying is a lock too. Just because Ziming is obviously going to show up and it wouldn't make any sense to plant the seed of her hoping for his return and Ryo going after the Chi You Men. It will undoubtedly force her to follow Ryo. She wants to protect Ryo, if it isn't obvious enough, by now. I do think we will be getting plenty of new characters in 3, I wouldn't worry about that.

I hope we get to call Goro up too. I always liked him more than Tom. The only other character that would make sense to show up is Yuanda Zhu, since Suzuki said he isn't fully trustworthy, or something to that effect. He's still a mystery and may be luring Ryo (and Ren) into a trap, for all we know. I suppose Baihu may also show up, considering a user on here met Suzuki a while back and said that he may be more important than we think he is (not just a one off street fight).
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Well we know these characters have been confirmed so far (aside from the obvious ones like Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di) SPOILERS, obviously:

Ren and Chai. Ren was obvious, Chai is legitimately a surprise announcement. I do think it's a good thing though and I bet if we're getting Chai then Guizhang should be a lock too since he could get his revenge on Chai for injuring him (lol). Seriously though, I think Guizhang may show up again at some point if not in 3, then 4, just due to his popularity amongst the fans. It's between him, Lan Di, Chai and Ren who is my favourite character so far in the saga.

Aside from Guizhang, I also think Xiuying is a lock too. Just because Ziming is obviously going to show up and it wouldn't make any sense to plant the seed of her hoping for his return and Ryo going after the Chi You Men. It will undoubtedly force her to follow Ryo. She wants to protect Ryo, if it isn't obvious enough, by now. I do think we will be getting plenty of new characters in 3, I wouldn't worry about that.

I hope we get to call Goro up too. I always liked him more than Tom. The only other character that would make sense to show up is Yuanda Zhu, since Suzuki said he isn't fully trustworthy, or something to that effect. He's still a mystery and may be luring Ryo (and Ren) into a trap, for all we know. I suppose Baihu may also show up, considering a user on here met Suzuki a while back and said that he may be more important than we think he is (not just a one off street fight).

This, basically =D>
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bellator » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Shenhua , Lan di, Ren and Xiuying will be the only ones returning IMO.

Chai will just be in a flashback sort of event.

We have all see the video of Xiuying getting beaten up by somebody (Landi? Ziming?) and i think it add a lot to the story considering how she seems to be this super warrior in shenmue II.
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:08 pm

That was the Project Berkley trailer if my memory serves me right. Don't know if I would bank too much on that one. The story could have changed from what it was like for Project Berkley.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Well we know these characters have been confirmed so far (aside from the obvious ones like Ryo, Shenhua and Lan Di) SPOILERS, obviously:

I don't like the Chai thing. Chai wasn't even a good villain. All he really does is eat a boat ticket. He ugly and has a really annoying voice. He's hokey and cheesy and just a bad character all around. I don't want him around at all and I'm hoping Niao is the main villain of III.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Bellator » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:11 pm

I have thought that perhaps in project berkley it was Ryo that got to hit her bad when she had asked to spar with him for the final time. Also would have been pretty cool.

Bellator has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Bellator
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah, I hope Chai will only be in flashbacks. Ryo kicked his ass 3 times already (arcade, harbor and ship). How many times does he wanna get knocked out again? :lol:

That said, I liked the character. Loved his tone of voice and thought he was actually a really well-designed creepy bastard.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Eh. Chai's going to just be another challenging opponent for Ryo to face. It's not like he's replacing Niao Sun, or anything like that. Niao Sun and one of the other four leaders of the Chi You Men will probably make up the villains in Shenmue 3. Like I've said before, I even doubt our final encounter with Lan Di will take place in this game. Shenmue 1 and 2 both had plenty of villains/antagonists for Ryo to face and 3 will probably be packed with them too. If Chai's return was in a flashback and we get to finally play the Boat chapter and fight against Chai in that removed chapter that only appeared in the manga in the Xbox port, that would be so cool.

Hyo Razuki wrote: That was the Project Berkley trailer if my memory serves me right. Don't know if I would bank too much on that one. The story could have changed from what it was like for Project Berkley.

But Xiuying shows up standing next to Shenhua in this artwork from Suzuki's GDC talk about all of the chapters and how they are planned out:

Suzuki actually stated that the chapters are all planned out and I can see him changing little things about the story now, but I doubt he'd take the likes of Xiuying out of the equation. Her brother is going to show up that much is obvious enough, she will too.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Next

Return to Shenmue III