Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:59 am

Hello everyone ! How are you ?

Today on August 3rd, fans from all around the world are welcome to tweet and use the hashtag #SaveShenmueHD to spread the word on Twitter!

We've achieved something really great and Shenmue III is finally on its way. However, while we are waiting for it, let's try to give a chance to all the fans out there to get their hands on the first two games. It only takes like 20 seconds and if we spread it all together, we can make it happen again !

Here are the details :

http://teamyu.net/Shenmue.III?action=saveshenmuehd

I also have something special to announce today.

Last year, I had the chance to meet Yu Suzuki and interviewed him regarding Shenmue and Shenmue III. Best thing coming out of this was to share with you all the latest informations I could get. Many of you really appreciated my work, or atleast, that's the feeling I was getting from your messages. I've never felt so much love and can't thank you enough for that.

During the Kickstarter, I was going to pledge 2000 dollars because that's the maximum I had for it, but during the last days I've decided to reduce it to 600 dollars. The reason is because I had another project that I wanted to get done for me and for you. And here it is : a new interview with Yu Suzuki !

Since it's official now I can finally announce it : I will meet Yu Suzuki in September in Japan. It wasn't something easy to do as I had to cut my pledge, sell some of my rare video games gems in order to gather enough money for the flight and fees I will have to handle in Japan, but I am glad that it was possible.

Meeting Yu Suzuki once again is something I am really looking forward to. I will bring in my own questions. However, since I've also been doing this for you, I am going to ask YOURS. Of course, I might not be able to ask all of them but as always, I will do my best.

So here we go :

What kind of questions would you like me to ask ?

What are you looking forward ?

Share anything that you're thinking about even if that's not a question, I'll try to turn it into one.

You can either answer directly through comments or you can send your questions to : [email protected]
I cannot provide details about the day of the interview and when it will be published on Shenmue 500k, Shenmue Dojo and Shenmue Master, but whenever I am allowed to do so, you'll be the first to know.

My dream of working as Shenmue III Community Manager is far ahead and It's highly possible that It'll never come true, but that's as far as I am willing to go to show my motivation and how much I am into this to make it happen.

Thanks for your continued support, it helps me a lot.

Best regards,

David

(french and japanese translations below)

En français :

Bonjour à tous !

Aujourd'hui, j'ai quelque chose d'important à annoncer. J'espère que vous prendrez le temps de lire ce que je vais écrire. Merci à vous !

L'année dernière, j'ai eu l'opportunité de rencontrer Yu Suzuki et de l'interviewer sur l'avenir de Shenmue et bien évidemment, Shenmue III. Ce qui m'a fait le plus plaisir était de pouvoir partager avec vous de nouvelles informations et d'après vos commentaires, vous étiez très satisfaits du contenu. Les messages de remerciements étaient nombreux et je vous en remercie encore une fois. Cela m'avait fait chaud au coeur.

J'avais un budget d'environ 2000 dollars lors de la campagne Kickstarter de Shenmue III. Il était destiné à l'un des rewards "Dragons Don't Sleep" mais j'ai décidé durant les derniers jours de réduire mon don à 600 dollars et de céder la récompense à un fan. La raison pour laquelle j'ai réduit mon pledge est que j'avais un autre projet en tête qui nécessitait de l'argent et je tenais à le réaliser pour moi, et aussi pour vous. Aujourd'hui, c'est officiel et je peux donc l'annoncer : une autre interview de Yu Suzuki est prévue !

C'est donc au mois de septembre que je vais revoir Yu Suzuki afin de l'interviewer et partager tout cela avec vous, une fois de plus. Cela n'a pas été facile car il m'a fallu vendre une partie de ma collection de jeux vidéo et comme indiqué ci-dessus, descendre mon pledge à 600 dollars afin de me payer le billet d'avion et tous les frais que j'aurai une fois sur place. Mais je l'ai fait aussi bien pour moi, que pour vous.

Rencontrer Yu Suzuki à nouveau est une chose que j'attends avec impatience. Mais je ne tiens pas à tout garder pour moi et je compte vous faire participer. En effet, je vais effectivement lui poser mes propres questions, mais je souhaiterais poser les vôtres également.

Quelles questions souhaiteriez-vous que je lui pose ?

Quelles sont vos attentes ?

Si vous avez des suggestions etc, n'hésitez pas à les écrire.

Vous pouvez poser vos questions directement via les commentaires ou les envoyer à : [email protected]

Je ne suis pas en mesure de pouvoir donner la date de publication de l'interview, ni la date précise à laquelle elle aura lieu, mais dès que j'aurai le feu vert, vous serez les premiers informés.

L'objectif aujourd'hui est d'apporter de nouvelles choses aux différentes communautés le temps que le développement de Shenmue III progresse.

Mon rêve de pouvoir travailler en tant que Community Manager via le projet Shenmue III est encore loin et ne se réalisera peut-être jamais, mais je suis prêt à me rendre au Japon et à mes frais si cela peut augmenter mes chances. J'espère atteindre un jour mon objectif grâce à ma motivation et mon envie de bien faire.

Encore merci à vous tous de m'avoir soutenu jusqu'à aujourd'hui. Cela m'a énormément aidé.

J'attends vos questions avec impatience !

A très bientôt !

David

日本語:

皆さん、お元気ですか。

本日、大切なことを発表させていただきたいです。本文を読んで頂けたら、嬉しいです。

去年の9月18日にシェンムーとシェンムーIIIについてのインタビューを鈴木さんと行わせて頂くことが出来ました。おかげさまで、新しい情報をゲットして、世界中のシェンムーファンの皆さんにお伝えできたのは一番良いことでした。感謝のメッセージが沢山届いたことが嬉しかったです。

シェンムーIIIのKickstarterのキャンペーンの間、私は2千ドルぐらいを支援する予定がありましたが、今回の私の企画のために、2千ドルの支援のお金を6百ドルに減らしました。その企画は確定されましたので、このページで皆さんに発表します。昨年に引き続き、今年も鈴木さんと一緒に会い、インタビューを行わせて頂くことになりました!

確定できるため、支援を減らして、自分のゲームコレクションも売ることにして、簡単ではありませんでしたが、飛行機の切符と来日する期間の資金を用意することが出来ました。

今回は、自分の質問だけではなく、可能であれば、シェンムーファンの皆さんの質問を考慮して、鈴木さんに伝えていきたいと思っています。なので、皆さん、私が鈴木さんに聞いて欲しい質問内容は何でしょうか。何について期待していますか。

質問がありましたら、是非コメントを残してください。または、こちらのメールでご質問を受け付けています。

メール : [email protected]

シェンムーIIIに関する仕事「コミュニティマネージャー」として働かせていただきたいという夢を叶えるために一生懸命頑張りたいですが、実現するかどうかまだ分かりません。ですが、諦めたくないので、最後までアピールしていきたいです。

今まで応援してくださった皆さんに大変感謝しております。

質問をお待ちしております。

デュビル・ダビッド

Last edited by DEVILLE_David on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby Supa » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:33 am

Awesome, congratulations!

I would LOVE to know if there is anything he can officially say about Shenmue Online, and if he can discuss any Shenmue III development history prior to Sony/Shibuya/Ys Net.

If he could shed any light on all of the clues pointing to Ziming being a leader of the Chiyoumen, and then finally debunked by himself in your prior interview, that would be great. If you could reference the famous IIx comic strip with Niao Sun and Ziming talking, as well as the Muecas picture of the four leaders, with two completely blacked out, Lan Di in full view, and Niao Sun partially blacked out. The character on the far right looks just like Ziming in the comic strip.

Will there be any chance Guizhang will come back eventually and catch up with Ryo in China like he promised? He is one of my absolute favorite characters.

With regards to Proect Berkley, if he could talk to us about the mysterious old man: Image

I know he may not even remember just by looking, or maybe this was just a placeholder character, or even his story has been changed/cut. But I still would love to know if we will see some of this stuff in the future.

Or some of these characters: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/history/projectberkley.html

Just to see what he says. Even something like "We'll definitely see the guy with the raised hand soon!" or something would make me giddy.

Supa has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby fittersau » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:51 am

Supa wrote:
With regards to Proect Berkley, if he could talk to us about the mysterious old man: Image

I know he may not even remember just by looking, or maybe this was just a placeholder character, or even his story has been changed/cut. But I still would love to know if we will see some of this stuff in the future.

Image Looks similar to the outline of the Chi You Men leader on the left perhaps?

It's surprising find so much of the game had already been completed from the Saturn & Berkley versions compared to the released Dreamcast versions.

Personally I don't mind the mystery, it makes the reveal even more exciting when we experience it in the game.

fittersau has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:06 am

DEVILLE_David wrote: Hello everyone ! How are you ?

Today, I have something special to announce so I hope you will all take some time to read it. Thanks !

Last year, I had the chance to meet Yu Suzuki and interviewed him regarding Shenmue and Shenmue III. My best pleasure was to share with you all the latest informations I could get and many of you really appreciated my work, or atleast, that's the feeling I was getting from your messages. Never felt so much love and can't thank you enough for that.

During the Kickstarter, I was going to pledge 2000 dollars because that's the maximum I had, but during the last days I've decided to reduce it to 600 dollars. The reason I've reduced my pledge is because I had another project in my head and wanted to get it done for me and for you. And this project was : a new interview with Yu Suzuki !

Yes, since it's official now I can finally announce it : I will meet Yu Suzuki on september in Japan. It wasn't easy to do as I had to cut my pledge, sell some of my rare video games gems in order to gather enough money for the flight and any fees I will have to pay in Japan, but I am glad that it was possible.

Meeting Yu Suzuki once again is something I am really looking forward to. I will bring in my own questions. However, since I've also been doing this for you, I am going to ask YOURS. Of course, I might not be able to ask all of them but as always, I will do my best.

So here we go :

What kind of questions would you like me to ask ?

What are you looking forward ?

Anything that comes through your mind, even if that's not a question, I'll try to turn it into one.

You can either answer directly through comments or you can send your questions to : [email protected]

I cannot provide details about the day of the interview and when it will be published on Shenmue 500k, Shenmue Dojo and Shenmue Master, but whenever I am allowed to do so, you'll be the first to know.

My dream of working as Shenmue III Community Manager is far ahead and It's highly possible that It'll never come true, but that's as far as I am willing to go to show my motivation and how much I am into this to make it happen.

Thanks for your continued support, it helps me a lot.

Best regards,

David

Please ask and advocate for the option to play with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Will it be possible to play the game this way?

Please express to Mr. Suzuki that a huge proportion of fans played Shenmue II this way, preferred it, and want to play Shenmue III this way, and are passionate about this to the extent that they even made a mod for the first Shenmue with JPN audio and English subs. But mods are buggy, and since these are people who've been into Shenmue and waited this long, and the Japanese audio and English subs would be produced anyway, it doesn't hurt to put the option in- the amount of money in filesize it would save not to include audio that has already been recorded that many fans strongly prefer wouldn't be worth how upsetting it would be to fans who have already been waiting over a decade for their game.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:34 am

I salute you Deville! I'm imagining Fuku San offering you his piggy bank so you can buy that plane ticket ;)

What I'd be interested to know is will Shenmue 3 differ from Yu's original vision for the game at all? Specifically storywise (e.g. adding or removing characters, story arcs etc.) And if he could elaborate on why if so.

Just curious as 14 years is a long time to be influenced and decide to change things...

joka has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Amir » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:00 am

Congrats on interviewing Suzuki-san :)

1. I'd like to know how far Shenmue III got into development for the Dreamcast and/or any subsequent consoles over the years. Was he working on it all between the release of Shenmue II DC and Shenmue II Xbox? It's funny how most of the preview images I remember from '98 and '99 ended up being scenes from Shenmue II so we know that was already far into development before the game was split in two and Shenmue I was released.

2. Will the White Leaf and the Mysterious Scroll be in Ryo's inventory in Shenmue III? What about photos of Nozomi, Fangmei and Joy?

3. What is the AI Battling stretch goal? I asked about this and the High Ground Battle System during the 2nd Twitter Q&A and he responded that the latter involved some chain reaction system which put images of rolling boulders or something down hills in my head, but I still don't understand what AI Battling is.

4. Was Sega working on subsequent hardware after the release of the Dreamcast before they decided to become a third-party developer/publisher, and was he involved at all like he was with the development of the Dreamcast? It's standard practice to work on the next console not long after the release of the current one, so I'd be surprised if they didn't look into it in some way.

5. Was Virtua FIghter 3 for Saturn actually completed? I've heard rumours that AM2 ported the game in some fashion to the Saturn before Sega pulled the plug on it and got Genki to do a rush-job port to the Dreamcast.

Amir has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby PILMAN » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:29 am

Had a question for mr Yu Suzuki

"In shenhua a house, there is a painting of some mountains in Guilin, shenhua mentions these mountains are dangerous and no one goes there anymore as they don't return, is there more details on what lies in these mountains?"

PILMAN has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby murdiaries » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:37 am

Is it motion capture being used for all animations, including in game chars and npcs?

murdiaries has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
murdiaries
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby LucBu » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 am

Amir wrote:5. Was Virtua FIghter 3 for Saturn actually completed? I've heard rumours that AM2 ported the game in some fashion to the Saturn before Sega pulled the plug on it and got Genki to do a rush-job port to the Dreamcast.

I think this video has some footage at one point. Or a still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

I'll add my own questions for the OP a little later. About to go to work.

LucBu has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby sand4fish » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:14 am

Thank you for doing this David! I have but one question, but it's for you:

Can you take me along for this interview? 8)

Have a great trip!!!

sand4fish has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:25 am

These are my questions btw... in case you didn't get my e-mail:

1. Being a big fan of series like Virtua Fighter and OutRun, have you ever considered making another arcade game in the future? If so what game genre (shooter, racing etc) would you like to tackle?

2. In Shenmue 3, one of the new features is the ability to play with multiple characters during a certain scenario. What prompt you to go for such a drastic change, since we always accompanied Shenmue's story only through Ryo's eyes?

3. What FREE combat system have you planned for Shenmue 3? Are we expecting something as deep and complex as Virtua Fighter 5?

4. With the upcoming virtual reality headsets like the Project Morpheus and Oculus Rift, are you happy with the direction the gaming industry is taking? Is there any kind of game you would like to make for such devices?

Thanks again David!!! Hope your dreams come to fruition.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby freakycritter » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:40 am

Amir wrote:

4. Was Sega working on subsequent hardware after the release of the Dreamcast before they decided to become a third-party developer/publisher, and was he involved at all like he was with the development of the Dreamcast? It's standard practice to work on the next console not long after the release of the current one, so I'd be surprised if they didn't look into it in some way.

Well I can answer this one...right after the Dreamcast release, the head of hardware got promoted to COO, and in December 1999 they said they will focus on hardware rather than software. Seems like they always knew the Dreamcast would be the make or break console.
freakycritter
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:31 am

Sounds great!
Also, I linked to the #saveShenmueHD campaign in the description and at the end of my Shenmue introduction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64u9TUtTMa0
Gen

Postby Amir » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:13 am

LucBu wrote:
Amir wrote:5. Was Virtua FIghter 3 for Saturn actually completed? I've heard rumours that AM2 ported the game in some fashion to the Saturn before Sega pulled the plug on it and got Genki to do a rush-job port to the Dreamcast.

I think this video has some footage at one point. Or a still. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

I'll add my own questions for the OP a little later. About to go to work.

I've read that those are fakes made by messing around with a Model 3 emulator, don't think any footage got out.

6. What is the music that accompanies the Shenmue Saturn footage? Was it from the Saturn version of the game or was it unused music for the Dreamcast games?

phpBB [video]

Amir has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby johnvivant » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am

I hope you do become community manager David, I can't imagine anyone else being better suited for the task - you know the 3 most relevant languages and you are a dedicated mega fan. Good Luck!

here are some questions for Yu - i might add more to it later:

-In Shenmue 3 will we still be able to open cupboards and looks through draws?

-In Shennmue 3 will be still be able to pick up many objects and examine them, even if those objects aren’t directly related to the story or quest - like in the previous games?

-Will Shenmue 3 have a proper Virtua Fighter style free-battle system?

-Can you incorporate the Virtua fighter 5 fighting engine and/or animations into Shenmue 3 to save costs?

-Could you clarify your comments about the size of each of the villages. You made a comparison between the size of Dobuita in Shenmue 1 to the size of the locations in Shenmue 3. Will each village have at least the scale and depth of Dobuita from Shenmue 1?
-How big is Choubu by comparison with Dobuita from Shenmue 1?

-Does the rapport system imply that the overall plot-line will vary based the players actions? or will the overall plot-line remain the same regardless? For example will having a bad relationship with one of the characters make them turn against you, or remove them for the rest of the story completely?

-Will Shenhua be a regular companion throughout the whole Shenmue 3? i.e. will she actually be walking around with us like in disc 4 of Shenmue 2. And will her company be optional for the player?

-Can you give us any information about how magic is going to be implemented in the future games?
-Can you give us any information about Shenhua’s magical abilities?
-Is Shenhua a reincarnated personality?
-Is Ryo a reincarnated personality?

-Was the Shenmue Online CG movie that depicted Shenhua summoning a Phoenix and battling a huge Dragon (seemingly being controlled by Lan Di) a canonical event to the main series?

-In Shenmue 3 will you be including an option for the player to choose which language dub and subtitle options they prefer?

-If Sega does release HD remastered ports of Shenmue 1+2 will the save transfer system be compatible with Shenmue 3?

-At the end of the Shenmue saga will the player be able to choose which girl Ryo ends up with? :heart: ;-)

Bonus question:
-Any information on Virtua Fighter 6?

johnvivant has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue III