Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki : a new interview about Shenmue III incoming !

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Gameinformer in their playthroughs want to know what Yu Suzuki thinks about Peter Jackson ripping off Chai for Gollum :lol:

NeoShredder has received 2 thanks from: Dragon St., johnvivant
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:56 pm

kuwakodono wrote: I thought of a comment/question that I'm not sure has been addressed in the past. Chinese is like Japanese in that people are usually addressed by their family names unless they are exceptionally close, family, or much younger. Heck, Ryo and Nozomi only call each other by their family names in Japanese in Shenmue I. Thus, I found it a little bit jarring in Shenmue II where Ryo would call folks like Xiuying, Jianming, Guixiang, and even Delin by their first (given) names. Not sure if there was a reason for this that Suzuki-san can comment on.

I can answer this one, it's normal for Japanese classmates to call each other by their last names, especially if not super close, and Ryo is kind of conflicted and obviously very restrained about his feelings for Nozomi and doesn't want to admit to her that he wants to be close, especially once he's focused on finding Lan Di, so he continues to call her Harasaki like when they were classmates. With Naoyuki on the other hand, he's more casual because there isn't romantic tension between them and feelings that Ryo is unsure how to deal with, and that's reflected by the fact that he calls him by his first name with no honorific even in the Japanese version (his last name is Ito)

Ryo is close to Nozomi, he just doesn't show it. Nozomi shows it more than he does. Hence they address each other by last name despite actually being close enough to use first names, using last names to address each other doesn't necessarily make people not close anyway.

He doesn't address Fuku San or Goro or Tom by last name, for example. The last name without an honorific thing is really only for school/college/army contexts. Fuku san is like family and there's respect as training partners, so he uses his first name plus the honorific. Goro and Tom were met informally, not through school. Gui Zhang is also not a classmate he met through school, so he calls him by his first name. They have a slightly teasing/trolling friendship/rivalry dynamic so neither use honorifics with each other, plus people generally don't use them with people of their own age and similar status anyway, unless it's a formal context.

The last name thing is also used with elders whom it is customary to greet in a more formal context. He doesn't do this in hong kong for various reasons, because Jianming, Guixiang etc. introduce themselves by their first names and meet Ryo when he's an adult, while people like Yamagishi san in Dobuita has known Ryo since he was kid and it's common even in Western cultures to call such people Mr. so and so. Also, despite the fact that they speak Japanese, the characters in Shenmue II are Chinese, hence almost none of them are addressed as "san". Some Shenmue II characters speak Japanese with a Chinese accent as well. Although in Cantonese the word "saang" means pretty much the same thing as san, san is still used differently in a Japanese cultural context, and not using san would emphasize to a JPN audience that the setting is a foreign country.

shenmue852 has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:45 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: Hello guys,

Thanks again for providing so many questions. I've been working on it and It's going well so far. I will keep adding different questions as much as I can and try to give it all my best to make sure you'll be satisfied.

Some questions, even asked differently tend to have the same meaning so I have to cut some parts here and there to make sure It doesn't sounds too repetitive. But combining your questions with mine should result in an interesting interview.

More news asap.

Best regards,

David

Un grand merci aussi pour toutes tes traductions réalisées jusque là. ;)

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby johnvivant » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:06 pm

- Why did you decide to reveal Niao Sun well in advance of the release of Shenmue 1 when she doesn’t actually appear in either of the first two games? Were there ever any plans to have her appear in Shenmue 1 or 2 in some way?

johnvivant has received 3 thanks from: Azuardo, DEVILLE_David, Sh3ppy
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:14 am

Were Nagai Industries and Mahjong places planned to be ever playable or "storytellised" ? If yes, what would have been the story ?
What other parts did you remove from your original vision of Shenmue and possibly want to see in Shenmue 3 ?
What does mean the "mue" of Shenmue ? Tree ? (If you can answer without spoiler)
Are the Four Wude real ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby kuwakodono » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:27 pm

shenmue852 wrote: The last name thing is also used with elders whom it is customary to greet in a more formal context. He doesn't do this in hong kong for various reasons, because Jianming, Guixiang etc. introduce themselves by their first names and meet Ryo when he's an adult, while people like Yamagishi san in Dobuita has known Ryo since he was kid and it's common even in Western cultures to call such people Mr. so and so. Also, despite the fact that they speak Japanese, the characters in Shenmue II are Chinese, hence almost none of them are addressed as "san". Some Shenmue II characters speak Japanese with a Chinese accent as well. Although in Cantonese the word "saang" means pretty much the same thing as san, san is still used differently in a Japanese cultural context, and not using san would emphasize to a JPN audience that the setting is a foreign country.

Yeah, the thing is though, it doesn't seem likely that these people would actually invite Ryo to call them by their first names in real life. Anyways, I'm sure this is a minor point that most folks won't care about, but since Suzuki-san likes his realism... :mrgreen:

Yokosuka wrote: Are the Four Wude real ?

Wude is definitely a real thing, although it may not necessarily be codified in a school. If it is, how many and which ones there are will differ from school to school and lineage to lineage.
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby freakycritter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:55 am

What did your role entail at Sega as Deputy Director on Arcade business in 1998 and Creative Officer from 2004 onwards?Did you have some say in wider strategies at Sega, or where you just concerned with your own projects?
freakycritter
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

-

Postby danny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:59 am

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby shenmue852 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:14 am

:shock:
danny wrote: The 6 Questions from Daniel (Danny) to David to Yu-san

A) Personal Questions

A-1) What are your hobbies Yu Suzuki-san?

A-2) Do you worked in fields other than the game industry in your life time so far?

A-3) Do you actually believe in Astrology and horoscopes and blood types determining an individuals destiny and character?

B) Computer Programming Questions

Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA wrote:I still write algorithms, logic verification, and make simple prototypes.

B-1) For what purpose do you write algorithms, logic verifications, and make simple prototypes?

Yu Suzuki - #YouAskYu wrote:@celsowm I think C# is a good one among the recent languages.

B-2) Why do you think C# (pronounced as see sharp, a programming language) is a good one among the recent languages?

B-3) What's your advice for individuals who would like to get into computer game programming like you?

Thanks David! :)

Sources:
[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20150725013 ... w_posting/
[2] https://web.archive.org/web/20150813024 ... 3985212416

lol @ Japanese blood type beliefs. My blood type is AB, so they'd either hate me or think I'm a badass (so unless I actually become a badass, they'll probably hate me)

idk about Mr. Suzuki's personal beliefs about this, but like with pretty much all other Japanese fictional characters, the characters in Shenmue have blood types listed in their official biography.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:19 am

kuwakodono wrote:
shenmue852 wrote: The last name thing is also used with elders whom it is customary to greet in a more formal context. He doesn't do this in hong kong for various reasons, because Jianming, Guixiang etc. introduce themselves by their first names and meet Ryo when he's an adult, while people like Yamagishi san in Dobuita has known Ryo since he was kid and it's common even in Western cultures to call such people Mr. so and so. Also, despite the fact that they speak Japanese, the characters in Shenmue II are Chinese, hence almost none of them are addressed as "san". Some Shenmue II characters speak Japanese with a Chinese accent as well. Although in Cantonese the word "saang" means pretty much the same thing as san, san is still used differently in a Japanese cultural context, and not using san would emphasize to a JPN audience that the setting is a foreign country.

Yeah, the thing is though, it doesn't seem likely that these people would actually invite Ryo to call them by their first names in real life. Anyways, I'm sure this is a minor point that most folks won't care about, but since Suzuki-san likes his realism... :mrgreen:

Yokosuka wrote: Are the Four Wude real ?

Wude is definitely a real thing, although it may not necessarily be codified in a school. If it is, how many and which ones there are will differ from school to school and lineage to lineage.

It seems like they made the decision not to bother with honorifics or titles at all in Shenmue II. Nobody even addresses Xiuying as "master" even though she's as much of a master as Master Chen.

Yeah wude are real but there are no standardized four Wude the way they are presented in Shenmue (it's implied in the game that they are universal across styles. Also, Yi is taken straight from Confucianism. Not sure about the other wude in the game.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Three Blades » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:38 am

Although I remember that Zhu called Ryo's father "Iwao-kun" at least one time (I think it was the scene where Ryo tells him that he had been killed).
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:22 am

Three Blades wrote: Although I remember that Zhu called Ryo's father "Iwao-kun" at least one time (I think it was the scene where Ryo tells him that he had been killed).

yeah, there are other exceptions like Wong calling Ryo "oni chan", the Cantonese equivalent would be "gor gor".

It's not a strict rule in the game or anything, but I feel like context wise, although san is used in the same way as "saang" or mister, there's an additional uniquely Japanese connotation of respect and sometimes closeness as well as normal formality with the way san is used in Japanese, so they mostly avoided calling Chinese characters "san". The rule does get broken in places though because the game is in Japanese, so Dou Niu calls Lan Di "Lan Di sama" instead of something more analogous to what a Chinese form of address for a mob boss would be.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:29 am

New question, is Ryo's personality based on Yu Suzuki?
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:43 pm

-If Sega decides to develop HD ports of the first 2 games would it be possible to reinstate some of the content that had to be removed from the original games due to the memory/media capacity limitations of the time? In the past you have said that there exists a fully developed scenario involving the boat journey to Hong Kong but you regretfully had to remove it due to the data capacity limitations of the time. So would it be possible to reinstate this and other content for a HD port?

-In an old interview you said that a 'whole lot of extra content' was added to Shenmue 2 towards the end of production. Can you tell us what this extra content was? Did it happen to be the Guilin chapter? If so could you give us your reasons for ending Shenmue 2 at this particular point, and in this particular way?

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III