Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dreamcast console sales spike following Shenmue 3 reveal

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:46 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: It's not only about Shenmue 1, and 2 rerelease or lack there of I should say, but frankly in no way, shape or form, does Sega exist outside of Japan.

All this BS you're pointing out, "only" exists in Japan. Yea, like they allowed someone to bring over 7th Dragon too right, oh yea that's right, they went out of their way to make sure that game could never be released outside of Japan.

You give Sega too much credit, I think they felt they really owed Yu(which they do), and they're not going to do anything with it anyway, so they're like here. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to Sega for that, but don't think that's going to lead to anything else.

That's a possibility though, if Yu asks for the rights to publish ports of 1, & 2 on the new systems, he might be allowed to. However I have to imagine Yu has already asked them that, because frankly if new gamers had easy access to play the original games, a KS wouldn't have been needed in the first place.

You see, Shenmue 3 never actually existed, except for the story, which belongs to Yu anyway, so Sega doesn't really care at all, but what Sega does care about, is letting other companies publish their games, they don't allow it(they allowed ATLUS to do such once or twice before, before they owned ATLUS, but that is it)

Yea, I love the fact newer people are getting into the DC now, no other game(s) have ever cause such for a retro(well the DC is really only semi retro, but still) console before(and the DC, along with other older consoles get indie games all the time), this is so great :)

On the contrary, Sega has a huge global presence - if you'd only care to look. These past few years have seen Sega dramatically increase their output of western releases. Not just from Sega's Japanese studios but also through Sega's western development teams such as Creative Assembly, Relic Entertainment and Hardlight Studio. Of course, many of these games appear on PC and mobile platforms respectively, reflecting in the diversification of gamers away from consoles as an individual’s primary platform. Which is fine by me, after the discontinuation of the Dreamcast I don't care what happens to the Big Three in the end. The likes of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo could go bankrupt tomorrow and it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest. So long as in the end it's Sega that survives and continue to thrive.

Of course, Sony’s E3 press conference was the huge global stage that Shenmue 3 needed. So this short-time alliance, on the most stable of surviving consoles, will prove to be beneficial for Sega and the Shenmue franchise for the time being. To say nothing of Microsoft’s weakened stance towards third-party developer or Nintendo’s sheer incompetence with the WiiU as an out-dated piece of junk. The important thing to remember is that Shenmue is now a self-sustaining idea; the merchandise Sega released over the past couple of years has been steadily renewing interest. While the granting of the Shenmue 3 licence to Yu Suzuki can yet prove to the spark that sees Shenmue endure, with not just Shenmue 3 but also perhaps Shenmue 4 and beyond as well.

At the same time, renewed interest in the Dreamcast as a platform is beneficial to Sega and the Sega fanbase as a whole. At time when the games industry is at the most stagnant it’s been in years, as the Big Three run console gaming into the ground, the ambition and sheer creativity that the Dreamcast represents can be a revelation for any gamer who’ve never had a chance to experience what gaming can truly offer at its best. The phrase ‘arcade perfect’ use to carry a lot of weight, the measure by which all games had to match. When people look at Shenmue 1 and 2, when they look at the Dreamcast, they should be inspired to demand more games in Sega’s style from all developers.

When you look at the bigger picture, Shenmue 3 isn’t just about completely the next chapter in a wonderful story. This is chance once and for all to bring back arcade style gameplay all across the industry. A few more active Dreamcasts in the world will go a long way towards that goal.

Mobile is not part of the gaming industry, and on top of that, that's yet another thing that's not much of a money maker, and is yet another thing that's more JP centric.

PCs? What do they do, because I haven't heard a damn thing about Sega branded PC products. As for those supposed branches of Sega you listed, I keep a fairly close eye on the industry, yet none of them ring a bell lol, what do they even do, and should anyone outside of Japan even care?

The fact you don't care if all the current gaming companies die, just because Sega wimped out, letting Peter Moore talk them into leaving the industry, means you're just a buthurt Sega fanboy.

Get this through your head, "Sega is dead", they are never coming back, you need to suck it up, and move on. There are still good games being made, and to wish "all" the hardware companies to go under, just because Sega "gave up"(for no reason at that, they just wanted out evidently, because there was no reason to drop the DC, when they did at all), is childish at best.

What E3 conference did Sega have, Shenmue 3 was announced during the Sony Conference, not Sega, so I don't know WTF you are talking about. lol was Sega even at E3 at all?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 am

Zoltor wrote:Mobile is not part of the gaming industry, and on top of that, that's yet another thing that's not much of a money maker, and is yet another thing that's more JP centric.

PCs? What do they do, because I haven't heard a damn thing about Sega branded PC products. As for those supposed branches of Sega you listed, I keep a fairly close eye on the industry, yet none of them ring a bell lol, what do they even do, and should anyone outside of Japan even care?

The fact you don't care if all the current gaming companies die, just because Sega wimped out, letting Peter Moore talk them into leaving the industry, means you're just a buthurt Sega fanboy.

Get this through your head, "Sega is dead", they are never coming back, you need to suck it up, and move on. There are still good games being made, and to wish "all" the hardware companies to go under, just because Sega "gave up"(for no reason at that, they just wanted a way out evidently, because there was no reason to drop the DC, when they did at all), is childish at best.

There's no need for semantics here; whether you like it or not mobile gaming is a huge part of the industry. In fact, in terms of overall revenue mobile gaming is already the biggest segment of the industry and continues to grow rapidly with each passing year. The power of modern smartphones is so great that many models on the market today exceed Dreamcast level graphics, hence why Sega was able to port Dreamcast games like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio to mobile platforms. Furthermore, Sega is actually doing quite well on mobile platforms, such as with Chain Chronicle (a turn-based JRPG) and Sonic Runners (which has just reached over 3 million unique downloads).

On the PC side of things Sega has spent the last decade becoming a powerhouse PC publisher, especially in the Strategy genre. This is thanks to the acquisition of key studios such as Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment, among others. Of course, Sega has had presence on the PC since the 90s, when Sega published PC versions of popular Mega Drive and Saturn games. Today Sega has many of the best-selling PC franchises; notably these include the Total War franchise (Creative Assembly) the Company of Heroes franchise (Relic Entertainment) and Football Manager (Sports Interactive) - all the products of Sega's internal western development teams.

Suffice to say, Sega's success on PC and mobile platforms has been a smart move for the corporation. As this has allowed Sega to thrive and find new audiences, even as console gaming is floundering. Still, that's not to say console gaming is finished just yet. The strong sales of the PS4 have certainly been remarkable under the circumstances, even as the Xbox One and the WiiU have been decidedly less impressive. To that end, Sega does have a strong presence on consoles as well. Such as with Persona 5 being developed by Atlus, another recent acquisition by Sega, which looks absolutely fantastic. So, there’s plenty of great Sega games to found all across the different gaming platforms.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Himuro
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote:Mobile is not part of the gaming industry, and on top of that, that's yet another thing that's not much of a money maker, and is yet another thing that's more JP centric.

Get this through your head, "Sega is dead", they are never coming back, you need to suck it up, and move on. There are still good games being made, and to wish "all" the hardware companies to go under, just because Sega "gave up"(for no reason at that, they just wanted a way out evidently, because there was no reason to drop the DC, when they did at all), is childish at best.

There's no need for semantics here; whether you like it or not mobile gaming is a huge part of the industry. In fact, in terms of overall revenue mobile gaming is already the biggest segment of the industry and continues to grow rapidly with each passing. The power of modern smartphones is so great that many models on the market today exceed Dreamcast level graphics, hence why Sega was able to port Dreamcast games like Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio to mobile platforms. Furthermore, Sega is actually doing quite well on mobile platforms, such as with Chain Chronicle (a turn-based JRPG) and Sonic Runners (which has just reached over 3 million unique downloads).

On the PC side of things Sega has spent the last decade becoming a powerhouse PC publisher, especially in the Strategy genre. This is thanks to the acquisition of key studios such as Creative Assembly and Relic Entertainment, among others. Of course, Sega has had presence on the PC since the 90s, when Sega published PC versions of popular Mega Drive and Saturn games. Today Sega has many of the best-selling PC franchises; notably these include the Total War franchise (Creative Assembly) the Company of Heroes franchise (Relic Entertainment) and Football Manager (Sports Interactive) - all the products of Sega's internal western development teams.

Suffice to say, Sega's success on PC and mobile platforms has been a smart move for the corporation. As this has allowed Sega to thrive and find new audiences, even as console gaming is floundering. Still, that's not to say console gaming is finished just yet. The strong sales of the PS4 have certainly been remarkable under the circumstances, even as the Xbox One and the WiiU have been decidedly less impressive. To that end, Sega does have a strong presence on consoles as well. Such as with Persona 5 being developed by Atlus, another recent acquisition by Sega, which looks absolutely fantastic. So, there’s plenty of great Sega games to found all across the different gaming platforms.

A mobile game that sells 1-2m copies, is a "huge" success, and considering that these so called games lol, are so crappy, that you can only sell them for a buck or 2, they are not completion to "real" gaming companies at all.

Furthermore It's a 100% different market all together, gamers aren't flocking to that crap, socker moms, and other non-gamers are(It's the same type of group, that the standard FB game attracts).

It's a drastic downgrade, that companies are choosing to go, just because it "looks better on paper". It costs them nothing to make, and any random person on the street can make a Mobile game during a lunch break, so the profit margin % looks better on paper, but in actuality, they are losing billions, upon billions by downgrading to bottom feeder fodder.

Really, I play on the PC, and oh my I like Strategy games, but still not ringing a bell. Is it UK/JP only maybe, because PCs were always bigger in the UK in the early PC days?

New audience, you mean the type of audience that doesn't care what company feeds them their so called games, thus allowing them to fail countless times, without their being any backlash(when something only costs a buck, people don't give a crap about quality or whatnot).

No, no, no, take back, you neo natzi, that's ATLUS, Sega might own the Company ATLUS, but in no way, shape or form, does Sega have any thing to do with the creation of ATLUS games. If a time ever comes when they do mess with ATLUS's development teams, we'll know, because then ATLUS games will start sucking to no end.

Sega should not be given credit, for stuff ATLUS makes. Hell it would be nice if Sega would ask ATLUS to publish their(their, as in the few games Sega actually make, yet constantly refuse to release outside of Japan) games outside of Japan, but they haven't even done that.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:08 am

Zoltor wrote: A mobile game that sells 1-2m copies, is a "huge" success, and considering that these so called games lol, are so crappy, that you can only sell them for a buck or 2, they are not completion to "real" gaming companies at all.

Furthermore It's a 100% different market all together, gamers aren't flocking to that crap, socker moms, and other non-gamers are(It's the same type of group, that the standard FB game attracts).

It's a drastic downgrade, that companies are choosing to go, just because it "looks better on paper". It costs them nothing to make, and any random person on the street can make a Mobile game during a lunch break, so the profit margin % looks better on paper, but in actuality, they are losing billions, upon billions by downgrading to bottom feeder fodder.

Really, I play on the PC, and oh my I like Strategy games, but still not ringing a bell. Is it UK/JP only maybe, because PCs were always bigger in the UK in the early PC days.

New audience, you mean the type of audience that doesn't care what company feeds them their so called games, thus allowing them to fail countless times, without their being any backlash(when something only costs a buck, people don't give a crap about quality or whatnot).

No offense but you don't actually understand how mobile gaming works as a business. Most mobile games, even the AAA ones developed by publishers like Sega are free to download. Revenue is obtained through a variety of supported ads and microtransactions, depending on the game. That's not to say mobile games are pay to win, far from it, the best mobile games strike balance between free content and offering gamers ways to get more out of the gaming. Kind of like what's happen on the PC in the MMORPG market, when most games are free to play and even the few subscription based games left like WOW also offer microtransactions. Suffice to say, Sega's mobile games like Chain Chronicle and Sonic Runners have been a huge boon for the company, generating enormous amount of revenue and solidifying Sega's position as a major publisher in the mobile market.

At the same time Sega is also developing numerous big-budget AAA games for PC and consoles as well. Among these the Total War franchise has quickly become one of the best-selling strategy franchises in the world, alongside similar success seen by Company of Heroes 2. No publishers on the planet can claim as much success in strategy games as Sega; it’s a huge advantage for the corporation that allows Sega considerable influence across the entire PC market. Of course, Persona 5 will soon become a classic game for Sega. The stability and technical expertise that Sega offers Atlus, ever since the acquisition of Index Corporation (which included Atlus), has allowed Persona 5 to become a truly phenomenal game. Now under Sega’s oversight the Persona franchise is about to go mainstream, to achieve heights never before possible.

Which is why, with Sega going from strength to strength, it’s welcome to see the return of Shenmue as a major franchise on the world stage. Sega’s efforts to release more Shenmue merchandise have been a good opportunity to generate more support for the franchise and show that there remains passionate interest in seeing more Shenmue games in the future. As such, Sega’s move to allow a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter with Yu Susuki is an unprecedented move; no major publisher has ever allowed their IP to be used like this before. The success of Shenmue 3 bodes well for the future, as Sega can more confidently pursue the release of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on platforms in the future. That announcement may not arrive at TGS or even this year but nevertheless Sega remains in an excellent position to support their myriad of successful franchise, Shenmue included.

Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:02 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: A mobile game that sells 1-2m copies, is a "huge" success, and considering that these so called games lol, are so crappy, that you can only sell them for a buck or 2, they are not completion to "real" gaming companies at all.

Really, I play on the PC, and oh my I like Strategy games, but still not ringing a bell. Is it UK/JP only maybe, because PCs were always bigger in the UK in the early PC days.

No offense but you don't actually understand how mobile gaming works as a business. Most mobile games, even the AAA ones developed by publishers like Sega are free to download. Revenue is obtained through a variety of supported ads and microtransactions, depending on the game. That's not to say mobile games are pay to win, far from it, the best mobile games strike balance between free content and offering gamers ways to get more out of the gaming. Kind of like what's happen on the PC in the MMORPG market, when most games are free to play and even the few subscription based games left like WOW also offer microtransactions. Suffice to say, Sega's mobile games like Chain Chronicle and Sonic Runners have been a huge boon for the company, generating enormous amount of revenue and solidifying Sega's position as a major publisher in the mobile market.

At the same time Sega is also developing numerous big-budget AAA games for PC and consoles as well. Among these the Total War franchise has quickly become one of the best-selling strategy franchises in the world, alongside similar success seen by Company of Heroes 2. No publishers on the planet can claim as much success in strategy games as Sega; it’s a huge advantage for the corporation that allows Sega considerable influence across the entire PC market. Of course, Persona 5 will soon become a classic game for Sega. The stability and technical expertise that Sega offers Atlus, ever since the acquisition of Index Corporation (which included Atlus), has allowed Persona 5 to become a truly phenomenal game. Now under Sega’s oversight the Persona franchise is about to go mainstream, to achieve heights never before possible.

Which is why, with Sega going from strength to strength, it’s welcome to see the return of Shenmue as a major franchise on the world stage. Sega’s efforts to release more Shenmue merchandise have been a good opportunity to generate more support for the franchise and show that there remains passionate interest in seeing more Shenmue games in the future. As such, Sega’s move to allow a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter with Yu Susuki is an unprecedented move; no major publisher has ever allowed their IP to be used like this before. The success of Shenmue 3 bodes well for the future, as Sega can more confidently pursue the release of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on platforms in the future. That announcement may not arrive at TGS or even this year but nevertheless Sega remains in an excellent position to support their myriad of successful franchise, Shenmue included.

Then It's even more crappy then I though(knew about the microtransactions, but), adds=epic fail.

Still It's shotty at best, much like the PC market, but way way way worse, there's very little IP recognition, once a new thing comes along, they'll just move on, nomatter how good the past thing was(It's the complete opposite in the console market, fanbases for franchise are easily formed, and if you don't work on improving the next game, they'll just stay with the previous entry or play a entirely different game all together), so Sega is downgrading their entire company, to bank of the fact that people who play mobile games, just don't give a crap.

Also I find it funny that Sega thinks non-gamers are going to may their bills through micro transactions. This is not going to pay Sega's bills, high end MMOs can do this, especially if there's no sub option, and hold a company afloat, a little POS mobile game will get old so fast,that they'll need to make dozens of mobile games a day, to make any worthwile money(even then, It's nothing compared to the console market). Micro transactions on POS dime a dozen games, that aren't much better then a average Atari 2600 game, um yea, just doesn't work(and sure as hell wont work outside of Japan at all).

It should also be noted, that the mobile thing in Japan in so over satuated, It's a bubble begging to burst. When that happens, they'll be going back to dedicated handheld gaming systems. The only reason mobile is a thing at all, is because the average Japanese live in tin cans, thus have very little living space(thus making consoles less appealing, and any handheld devise being more desirable).

Totally forgot they owned Warhammer, but I bet more people would wish they release a real Warhammer game, instead of some random game with Warhammer slapped on it. Guess yet another thing that has pissed many people off.

Stardock is better, and is a very big name in PC strategy games, tyvm.

Please, INDEX is why Sega even was in a position to get their dusty mits on ATLUS, INDEX tried their very best to run ATLUS into the ground sigh, by forcing them to publish mainstream crap.

No, Persona will never be considered a Sega game, Sega Isn't a game developer anymore, and "everyone" knows Persona is ATLUS, nice try, but it will never be a Sega game.

Lol expertise, let me straight you fanboy self out, SEGA is a complete POS as a company now, if anyone is going to help someone, It's ATLUS helping out SEGA, not the other way around. It took ATLUS to make Sega admit that SEGA is a POS, and their name means less then nothing at this point.

Thank you ATLUS, since clearly they don't listen to gamers(the people who are suppose to be their customers), who have been saying this for years, thankfully you made them finally acknowledge that they suck.

Lol um the persona series was pretty damn mainstream already(which sucks, mainstream is a very bad thing), so I don't know where you have been. This is nothing new, SEGA Isn't bringing anything to the table.

Lmao where the hell do you get your facts from, Sega Isn't releasing Shenmue merchandise, they're just giving permission to anyone who asks, to be allowed to make merchandise about a IP Sega doesn't care about anyway.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:41 am

Zoltor wrote: Lmao where the hell do you get your facts from, Sega Isn't releasing Shenmue merchandise, they're just giving permission to anyone who asks, to be allowed to make merchandise about a IP Sega doesn't care about anyway.

You really must start showing some respect towards Sega, who without fostering of the Shenmue franchise none of this would have been possible. There can't be Shenmue 3 without Sega's support, when Sega gave permission to Yu Susuki to make Shenmue 3 and promote one of Sega's major IPs through Kickstarter. Furthermore, Sega's release of merchandise has been steadily encouraging more interest in Shenmue as whole over these past few years. That Sega has actively been seeking out partners to make more Shenmue merchandise, just as Sega would with any other franchise. Licenced merchandise, as much as the games themselves, have always been a part of Sega's strategy for ensuring successful IPs worldwide.

Even with the advent of mobile gaming Sega continues to thrive and ensure successful franchise. Ultimately mobile gaming is not going to go away, smartphones are now an integral part of everyday life, these devices can be found everywhere and used by virtually anyone. Unsurprisingly, gaming has always become a major force on smartphones; with Sega being chief among all the publishers excelling in the mobile market. That far from being fickle, those playing mobile games are fiercely loyal towards the games they love. Sega has been keen to respond to this, Sega’s latest mobile games are often accompanied by anime broadcasts and (once again) licensed merchandise. Mobile gaming has arrived at a level of technical sophistication to stand proudly alongside the games being developed on any other platform.

Looking towards the future I would certainly like to see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, I think that with time Sega will make such an announcement. Indeed, I think that Shenmue might even find a place on mobile platforms, alongside PC and consoles, when Sega inevitably ports Shenmue 1 and 2 to a variety of platforms. After all, Dreamcast games have already proven themselves to be technically feasible on most modern smartphones, as the existence of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio already illustrate. It’s just a question of establishing the right controls for Shenmue on a touch-screen; not to mention that many mobile games work with wireless controllers anyway. Nevertheless, I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on mobile platforms would be a good move, to further increase the number of people who can experience Shenmue.

Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Dragon St. » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 am

Happy with this news, it will hype things up even further for the 3rd game. Sega should really act quick now and announce Shenmue HD at TGS. But knowing Sega, they will let this opportunity go to waste, again.

Kintor wrote: Indeed, I think that Shenmue might even find a place on mobile platforms, alongside PC and consoles, when Sega inevitably ports Shenmue 1 and 2 to a variety of platforms. After all, Dreamcast games have already proven themselves to be technically feasible on most modern smartphones, as the existence of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio already illustrate. It’s just a question of establishing the right controls for Shenmue on a touch-screen; not to mention that many mobile games work with wireless controllers anyway. Nevertheless, I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on mobile platforms would be a good move, to further increase the number of people who can experience Shenmue.

I think it's a terrible idea to have Shenmue on a smartphone. It's not a game you can pick up and have fun with for a couple of minutes like Crazy Taxi. Shenmue with it's attention to detail, it's slow pacing and it's cinematic kind of experience needs to be enjoyed a big screen and a good sound set up.
Dragon St.
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:22 am

Dragon St. wrote: I think it's a terrible idea to have Shenmue on a smartphone. It's not a game you can pick up and have fun with for a couple of minutes like Crazy Taxi. Shenmue with it's attention to detail, it's slow pacing and it's cinematic kind of experience needs to be enjoyed a big screen and a good sound set up.

Honestly, mobile would never be the primary platform for Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. I'm merely mentioning the example to illustrative a point. That it's actually technically feasible to port to complex Dreamcast games like Shenmue to mobile platforms, Sega would need to rework the interface and the control scheme but it would certainly be doable. As for the market itself, there is an increasing niche of mobile gamers that do like to play longer games. Just as how people will now watch a 2 hour movie on their phones, so too are they willing to spend hours playing a single game. Shenmue 1 and 2 could work and could be profitable on mobile platforms, provided it's released alongside PC and consoles of course.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 am

Kintor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: Lmao where the hell do you get your facts from, Sega Isn't releasing Shenmue merchandise, they're just giving permission to anyone who asks, to be allowed to make merchandise about a IP Sega doesn't care about anyway.

You really must start showing some respect towards Sega, who without fostering of the Shenmue franchise none of this would have been possible. There can't be Shenmue 3 without Sega's support, when Sega gave permission to Yu Susuki to make Shenmue 3 and promote one of Sega's major IPs through Kickstarter. Furthermore, Sega's release of merchandise has been steadily encouraging more interest in Shenmue as whole over these past few years. That Sega has actively been seeking out partners to make more Shenmue merchandise, just as Sega would with any other franchise. Licenced merchandise, as much as the games themselves, have always been a part of Sega's strategy for ensuring successful IPs worldwide.

Even with the advent of mobile gaming Sega continues to thrive and ensure successful franchise. Ultimately mobile gaming is not going to go away, smartphones are now an integral part of everyday life, these devices can be found everywhere and used by virtually anyone. Unsurprisingly, gaming has always become a major force on smartphones; with Sega being chief among all the publishers excelling in the mobile market. That far from being fickle, those playing mobile games are fiercely loyal towards the games they love. Sega has been keen to respond to this, Sega’s latest mobile games are often accompanied by anime broadcasts and (once again) licensed merchandise. Mobile gaming has arrived at a level of technical sophistication to stand proudly alongside the games being developed on any other platform.

Looking towards the future I would certainly like to see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD, I think that with time Sega will make such an announcement. Indeed, I think that Shenmue might even find a place on mobile platforms, alongside PC and consoles, when Sega inevitably ports Shenmue 1 and 2 to a variety of platforms. After all, Dreamcast games have already proven themselves to be technically feasible on most modern smartphones, as the existence of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio already illustrate. It’s just a question of establishing the right controls for Shenmue on a touch-screen; not to mention that many mobile games work with wireless controllers anyway. Nevertheless, I think that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on mobile platforms would be a good move, to further increase the number of people who can experience Shenmue.

Sure there could be, sell the Franchise to Yu. Infact I really wish Sega would just sell off all their IPs. Sega is the 2nd worst company in the industry, when it comes to having a lot of IPs, and doing jack with them(the only one worse then Sega, is Capcom ofcourse). Then on the rare occasion they do, do something, they keep it in Japan(Shining Force Feather anyone. What made this even more perplexing, is that it was a DS game, you know the best selling handheld in history).

I doubt it, and if by chance Sega announces such, at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, I'll eat my hat(not only is it the worst place in the entire world to make any Shenmue announcement, SEGA has shown nothing but disinterest in the franchise. It's SEGA fault, and them listening to peter more that lead to the atrocious sales of the 2nd game, but SEGA doesn't like admitting such things, so they blame it on the IP or the fanbase(No advertising, combined with releasing it on XBOX, and they wonder why it didn't sell well)

You should be banned just for suggesting that could be a possibility. OMG, Shenmue games on crappy smart phones, talk about a nightmare.

Can you please tell me, why you kissing SEGA's but so much, damn it, seriously? Mobile gaming is the worst thing to happen to gaming, and cell phones in general, is one of the worst things to happen to society, in the entire history of the world. OMG I hate damn cell phones, seriously people get a god damn life, you can't wait to call people, stop acting like waiting until you get home from work/whatnot or until you walk 10 feet to access a landline is the end of the world.

The best thing I can say about Sega, is atleast they aren't as bad as Konami, that's about it. As far as the world outside of Japan is concerned, SEGA doesn't exist, and they just don't matter anymore.

I'm going to laugh so hard, I start crying, if they announce Shenmue 1, and 2 rereleased, but then say: Oh by the way, It's a Japanese only release, because that's the kind of numbskull stuff they would do.

Does Sega even have a game development team anymore? From what few IPs Sega hasn't completely abandoned, that they released games for in recent years, they outsourced the development of such.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kintor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 am

Zoltor wrote: The best thing I can say about Sega, is atleast they aren't as bad as Konami, that's about it. As far as the world outside of Japan is concerned, SEGA doesn't exist, and they just don't matter anymore.

Look all around and you will find Sega games readily available on every platforms. The success of Sega these past few years, especially on PC and mobile platforms has made Sega one of the most powerful publishers in the industry. Not just in Japan but also all across the western world as well. This is because Sega has numerous dedicated western development, all of whom make some of the most popular and best-selling games in their respective genres. I've already mentioned a few great examples such as Total War and Company of Heroes, alongside mobile games like Chain Chronicle and Runners. All of which contribute to Sega's strong position today, a corporation capable of thriving in every market in this industry.

With time Sega can also continue to see the Shenmue franchise thrive as well, across many different platforms even. As I’ve already pointed out, Sega has taken great care to ensure the release of much Shenmue merchandise in recent. A fact which places Shenmue in an enviable position compared to many other franchises from the Dreamcast era. This is in addition to Sega’s ground-breaking use of the Shenmue 3 licence for Yu Susuki’s Kickstarter. As it is only through Sega’s continued support and cooperation that Shenmue can rise once more as one of the most renowned franchise in the industry. What Sega and Yu Susuki have accomplished with Shenmue 3 is already a great achievement on what will surely be long journey to release day.

Certainly, this means that the time is now right to see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD released on many different platforms. This victory again will require Sega’s support, especially since Sega will most certainly be handling the porting and publishes of these games themselves. I can certainly see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD doing well on both PC and consoles. Even a version of Shenmue 1 and 2 could thrive on mobile platforms once the interface and controls have been properly customised. All of which can and will happen with time; even if Sega makes no announcement at TGS perseverance can still see Shenmue 1 and 2 HD before Shenmue 3 in 2017.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Almost bought a Dreamcast myself, but the prices are so high where i live that i'll stick to rewatching Scottish Duck's let's plays.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Shin Pan Tzee wrote: Almost bought a Dreamcast myself, but the prices are so high where i live that i'll stick to rewatching Scottish Duck's let's plays.

Buy from Ebay then, prices are still cheap, infact ridiculously so. It's easy to find a DC w hookups, 2x controllers, and a VMU for like 50-60 bucks.

Zoltor has received a thanks from: amiga1200
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:17 pm

^^ in terms of an internet price (50-60 $$$ = roughly 40+ gbp average. not looked at the present exchange rates.)
that's a bloody good price. :P
went down to the shops earlier, one could argue making a rod for my back.
i put the supervisor onto this subject, and while he saw it's validity, he couldn't up the prices inline with the hype, they just wouldn't sell here. (if 20 gbp is the average public shopfront price for a dreamcast with hookups where i'm at, the internet price is still fair comparatively speaking, and it's delivered to you door as it was a web like order.) :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Zoltor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:55 pm

amiga1200 wrote: ^^ in terms of an internet price (50-60 $$$ = roughly 40+ gbp average. not looked at the present exchange rates.)
that's a bloody good price. :P
went down to the shops earlier, one could argue making a rod for my back.
i put the supervisor onto this subject, and while he saw it's validity, he couldn't up the prices inline with the hype, they just wouldn't sell here. (if 20 gbp is the average public shopfront price for a dreamcast with hookups where i'm at, the internet price is still fair comparatively speaking, and it's delivered to you door as it was a web like order.) :mrgreen:

Wow if you still have store fronts that sell them at like 2005 prices, you're lucky. By me, stupid GS buys everyone out for no reason, you don't know how lucky you are, to not have Gamestops where you live(GS doesn't even really sell retro game stuff, so it makes no sense), and the only retro game store around here now, price gouges the hell out of people(a few years back, I wanted to buy a Genesis+SCD model 2, which was only worth 60-80 tops back then, yet they wanted 120 for them, talk about a rip-off).

Why a storefront would actually think selling them for double the price of what you can find them for all the time on the internet, is a good idea, I have no idea.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 pm

^^ matter of perspectives.
please read my first entry on this thread.
and to go by the above, i'm the ONLY one that's 'lucky'...no fucker looks at dreamcast where i'm at.
for other consoles and their games (retro) they overprice for the most part, and hardly sell at all.
shit! there's a stock crystal xbox in the window (i have two modded) going for 150 gbp, and it's been sat there almost a year.
playstation related is just as obscene, and don't get me started on gamecube stuffs. (that's the smallest collection i have, 50 retails.)
if it wasn't for knowing the right folks, i wouldn't have much really.
i get it at a fifth the ticket price usually.
only hardware and games they have dupes of, and didn't get put through the shop manifest first.
it's come around full circle.
i recall doing far better on the net, now, that is never the case.
a LOT of greedy mom-n-pop/brick-n-motar/badwill shops use EGAY for the price references, and they DON'T try to meet it half-way, just the highest digits usually.
only reason dreamcast doesn't do well here, is the townsfolks demands. (did i mention, can't get games for it here?!)
a CoD and football town, where alcohol is is the norm, and choices are limited to abuse that word. (doesn't cover it really) :cry:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III