Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

Postby johnvivant » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 am

anyone know what the mini-game 'New Year’s gifts' is?
is it just buying gifts for people?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 am

i found it interesting when Suzuki said he didn't know whether the modern concept of 'open world' coincided with his own intentions for the F.R.E.E. genre. its makes me wonder whether he'll continue to use FREE to describe the game (S3) and even use it in promotion

i think it would be great if he actually kept calling it F.R.E.E., and even included it on the game box. :D
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am

I don't think he will re-use it. The purpose of FREE was to help his staff and people to conceptualize something completely new and hard to imagine. And I consider FREE as a promotional flop since nobody remember the term unlike QTE. I wonder who has popularized the "open world" term though.

Good remark about the NPCs. The "manual" NPCs are clearly what makes the difference between Shenmue and the other open world games. Because Shenmue focuses on human psychology, beauty of mundane life and ultra realism.

Could the New Year's gifts be related with the Saint-Valentine gifts in Shenmue Dreamcast (CGI artworks with Joy and Nozomi handing up gifts) ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 am

Giorgio wrote: Best interview of Yu Suzuki since ages.

Some of my most interesting/favourite quotes:

[...] for Shenmue 3 they were cheering as if a deceased child just came back to life (laughs). It was like witnessing a supernatural phenomenon, something resurrecting from the deepest depths of the underworld.

Among the characteristics of Shenmue, there are the keywords of “nostalgy” and “the presence of everydays.” I’m not planning on doing anything grandiose, I just want to draw out the interestingness that lies concealed behind the curtains of everydays.

I want to include developments with a sense of distance and atmosphere in mind, such as when a character couldn’t say what he/she wanted to due to influences of the moment and workings of the heart.

It proves once again that Shenmue's spirit is about the quality of everydays in mind and in heart, with real world standards, serving entertainment more as a lifelike experience, while maintaining refreshing moments in due time with action and mini-games.

Yeah, interesting quotes.. Certainly Yu Suzuki operates on a different level to other people. Probably why we appreciate his work so much in Shenmue.

In terms of the translation, it captures some deep meaning however, it appears to be missing the editorial of a native English speaker. The meaning isn't lost which is a good thing.

Among the characteristics of Shenmue, there are the keywords of “nostalgy” and “the presence of everydays.” I’m not planning on doing anything grandiose, I just want to draw out the interestingness that lies concealed behind the curtains of everydays.

For example, my edit would be:
Among the characteristics of Shenmue, there are the keywords of nostalgia and the awareness of everyday life. "I'm not planning on doing anything grandiose, I want to draw out the interesting aspects that lies concealed behind the curtains of everyday life.

Excellent interview.

fittersau has received 2 thanks from: Switch, Yokosuka
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:37 am

Zoltor wrote:
He explains the skill tree more, but unless you never played a diablo clone, MMO or whatnot before, we all knew how this would work anyway.

I find the skill tree pretty exciting because that means the return of evolving moves. I don't remember about Shenmue 2 but you can evolve some moves if you practice hard in Shenmue 1. It would be cool if some moves evolution can be unlocked following that way in Shenmue 3 rather always buy/win them although it's very unlikely.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:50 am

Yokosuka wrote:From my experience, I know that the best talents (especially in art) are those who are the most dispassionate people because they only focus on the most profound human yearnings and create directly with the existing tools whatever the others do or did, which are usually boring for them.

Great point I agree. Read my mind on Yu's design philosophy and what makes it great. One of those things that makes the genius of the man. Although I'm not sure that "dispassionate" is quite the right word perhaps. I know what you mean in the sense of being aloof to the tropes and established conventions of other works of the medium as an artist. I would say he is absolutely passionate about his own work though.

Yu definately chases his own vision and doesn't get bogged down by game industry norms and expectations, particularly at odds with the 'salaryman' culture we've heard about with other Japanese developers. Could've stayed on riding the coattails of the Virtua Fighter series or any of the others he spawned as the lead developer, but he's chased Shenmue III this way instead off the back of this culture.

Certainly a visionary and original artist.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Lan Di-sama » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 am

Zoltor wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: I hope nobody is actually interpreting that as meaning Shenmue III is starting before the events of the stone pit and will omit that segment altogether.

Well, Yu has been stating that he's just going to make us restart the Guilin segment, and go from there, from pretty much ever since the E3 announcement.

As for this interview, makes it sound like he's going to rewrite the end of the stone pit segment altogether as well sigh.

I'm not sure how "beginning on the path to Bailu village from Shenhua's house" is being understood as starting the entire Guilin segment over again. I understand there are some ambiguities in these interviews, which are hampered to some degree by translational issues, but to me that is a gross misinterpretation. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but I see no reason to believe that to be the case.

I'm looking at it this way: Shenmue I ended and Shenmue II began on Ryo's path from Japan to Hong Kong. Shenmue II ended and Shenmue III will begin on Ryo and Shenhua's path from her house to Bailu Village. The scale of these breaks in continuity are different (an aquatic path on a boat with a two week gap vs. a mountain path on foot with a few moments' gap) but there's a consistency there, too.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:08 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
He explains the skill tree more, but unless you never played a diablo clone, MMO or whatnot before, we all knew how this would work anyway.

I find the skill tree pretty exciting because that means the return of evolving moves. I don't remember about Shenmue 2 but you can evolve some moves if you practice hard in Shenmue 1. It would be cool if some moves evolution can be unlocked following that way in Shenmue 3 rather always buy/win them although it's very unlikely.

Yea ofcourse I'm excited for it as well, but we really knew what such entails since the KS started anyway.

Well the concept is that you could either buy/win scrolls for moves to unlock said move or practice/lv moves to learn moves. However not "all" the moves even exist in scroll form(mainly the higher lv moves probally either wont exist in scroll form at all or winning the scroll for such will be such a pain, you are better off just practicing to learn such). Furthermore a few of the scrolls are backer only(I think there are 3 backer only scrolls, and you would've needed to pledge 800 bucks to get all 3 of them).

To Lan Di: Um Yu has been saying, that we would start Shenmue 3, from right when we got off the boat from Shenmue 2(aka when we first arrived in Guilin), which I seriously loath that idea. Ofcourse then again, that could've been yet another AJ issue sigh. Lets be real, if they don't know the difference between a scene vs Story, them getting boat mixed up with house is not so far fetched.

If we started from Shenhua's house(presumably after we left the Stone Pit, thus evidently just skipping 2m of nothing), while I wouldn't absolutely be in love with that(It's suppose to be a Saga, so therefore a game should start right from where the last game ending), I wouldn't have too much of a problem with that.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shenmue852 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

It's funny how plot points re: Ren have been revealed. I won't repeat what those concept chapter pictures show, but in this interview YS says "Ren is a bad person" so yeah people's theories about
Ren betraying Ryo
probably aren't off the mark at all.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: I hope nobody is actually interpreting that as meaning Shenmue III is starting before the events of the stone pit and will omit that segment altogether.

Well, Yu has been stating that he's just going to make us restart the Guilin segment, and go from there, from pretty much ever since the E3 announcement.

As for this interview, makes it sound like he's going to rewrite the end of the stone pit segment altogether as well sigh.

Honestly dude, I think you've got Guilin and Bailu Village confused. Bailu Village is a village in Guilin. When Ryo arrives in Guilin at the start of disc 4, that village is not Bailu Village. Bailu village is across 2 mountains and will take a couple of days to get there...you remember? On the way he meets Shenhua, and reaches her house, which still is not completely in Bailu Village, her house is just on the outskirts of this village. The cave is near Shenhua's house, and still not in Bailu Village. The end of Shenmue 2 never touches Bailu Village.

So when Yu says that Shenmue 3 will start in search of Bailu Village, you should be taking that as the game basically starts where Shenmue 2 ended, since Ryo's next destination before meeting Shenhua was Bailu Village. She was going to take him there, but promised to make him rest first and cook him dinner.

At no point in any interview has Yu said, you know what, that Guilin chapter was a load of bollocks, i'm just gonna drag Ryo back to the boat and re-do it.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby joka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm

James Brown wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Honestly dude, I think you've got Guilin and Bailu Village confused. Bailu Village is a village in Guilin. When Ryo arrives in Guilin at the start of disc 4, that village is not Bailu Village. Bailu village is across 2 mountains and will take a couple of days to get there...you remember? On the way he meets Shenhua, and reaches her house, which still is not completely in Bailu Village, her house is just on the outskirts of this village. The cave is near Shenhua's house, and still not in Bailu Village. The end of Shenmue 2 never touches Bailu Village.

So when Yu says that Shenmue 3 will start in search of Bailu Village, you should be taking that as the game basically starts where Shenmue 2 ended, since Ryo's next destination before meeting Shenhua was Bailu Village. She was going to take him there, but promised to make him rest first and cook him dinner.

At no point in any interview has Yu said, you know what, that Guilin chapter was a load of bollocks, i'm just gonna drag Ryo back to the boat and re-do it.

Yea Yu has definitely not stated S3 would go back to the beginning of the Guilin chapter.

I think part of the issue that led to that confusion was that the original reveal video was a remake of a scene on disc 4 (as well as the subsequent firefly scene).

Yu clarified previously it would start in Bailu at Shenhuas house I'm sure. I think he also said it was after the last scene of S2 although I'm not sure how explicit that was....

Anyway nice interview :)
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby joka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Who's the game creator Yu refers to as finding success on kickstarter and was a Shenmue fan- Tim Schafer?
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Amir » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:10 pm

If Shenmue I and II HD do get announced I hope they drop the Cinema Shorts stretch goal and put that towards Shenmue III development.

joka wrote:Who's the game Dev Yu refers to as finding success on kickstarter and was a Shenmue fan- Tim Schafer?

Ryan Paton who made République, they had him in a couple of the Kickstarter videos, and he did an interview with Suzuki-san and David Cage a few years back:

phpBB [video]

Amir has received a thanks from: joka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby joka » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm

Ah OK yea I watched those but assumed as Yu didn't reference them by name it might be someone else
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:54 pm

joka wrote:
James Brown wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Yea Yu has definitely not stated S3 would go back to the beginning of the Guilin chapter.

I think part of the issue that led to that confusion was that the original reveal video was a remake of a scene on disc 4 (as well as the subsequent firefly scene).

Yu clarified previously it would start in Bailu at Shenhuas house I'm sure. I think he also said it was after the last scene of S2 although I'm not sure how explicit that was....

Anyway nice interview :)

Oh ok, well if It's at Shenhua's house, after the final events of 2, while I think Yu should really start 3 off at where 2 ended, I suppose It's ok, It's still a stupid move, but fine, hardly the end of the world or anything.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III