PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3! PRE-ORDER FOR PS4/PC!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: PAYPAL SUPPORT FOR SHENMUE 3 NOW LIVE!

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:13 pm

Could someone give me some modern games who used pretty the same budget of Shenmue 3 please ? (with sources if possible)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Himuro wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
Himuro wrote: Ragdoll can look like shit, but also remember that Yu is doing this with motion capture again as well. Read what last interview he was? Why don't you link to it? Find me proof that Yu Suzuki has said that the physics in Shenmue will no longer be realistic.

God damnit, I thought you were a Shenmue fan, now I need to dig up what you should've read in the first place. Give me a minute, it was posted the other day.

The point is: Yu does a lot of interviews. When you say,"last interview" no one has any idea what interview you're talking. Good lord.

Here it is http://otakumode.com/news/55c62e97887d9 ... ies?page=1 Damn It's a longer interview then I remembered lol, well scroll down a ways, until you get to "specifically" the battle system.

He does first say, he wants to try to make the battle system more realistic(when the reporters tells him physic engines are so advanced these days), but then he goes on to say this:

Rather than full contact fights, such as in Virtua Fighter, where you move with different physics depending on where you were hit, I’m thinking more along the line of entertainment. For instance, if you hit somewhere around this place, your opponent will fly in a cool way. I think that games with complex reality resembling full contact fighting are most effective when they are properly directed besides including motion capture. Plus it wouldn’t be so interesting if it was the same as other battle games, so I want to make it more distinctive.

To Yokosuka: Don't bother, publishers these days don't know how to properly spend money on a game(they just throw 10s, and 100s of millions at a game, not knowing/caring how It's used, yet expect a great, high selling game to be made), so don't use such to judge the size of Shenmue 3 or anything.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:31 pm

How exactly did you get this:

It's bad enough Yu is changing the battle system away from having a realistic feel

No, instead of characters being knocked around based on physics, he's just going to have people knocked about in I quote "a cool way". In short, everything martial arts movie fans loath about modern martial arts, that's how the fighting is going be, fake as hell.

From this:

Rather than full contact fights, such as in Virtua Fighter, where you move with different physics depending on where you were hit, I’m thinking more along the line of entertainment. For instance, if you hit somewhere around this place, your opponent will fly in a cool way. I think that games with complex reality resembling full contact fighting are most effective when they are properly directed besides including motion capture. Plus it wouldn’t be so interesting if it was the same as other battle games, so I want to make it more distinctive.

You are grasping. You are inserting your own interpretations in to what Yu said. Yu did not say the game won't be realistic. Besides, we are talking about a game series that has this in it. Shenmue has always had a level of cool in its fighting system:

Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Himuro wrote: How exactly did you get this:

It's bad enough Yu is changing the battle system away from having a realistic feel

No, instead of characters being knocked around based on physics, he's just going to have people knocked about in I quote "a cool way". In short, everything martial arts movie fans loath about modern martial arts, that's how the fighting is going be, fake as hell.

From this:

You are grasping. You are inserting your own interpretations in to what Yu said. Yu did not say the game won't be realistic. Besides, we are talking about a game series that has this in it. Shenmue has always had a level of cool in its fighting system:

Come on, can you not read, It's not going to be anything like the past Shenmue games(which btw Yu, are still unique to this day), he "directly" says he's moving away from having it based on physics, and just having people thrown around in a so called "cool" way instead.

Considering he has ragdoll physics as a stretch goal, I don't want to know what else he considers "cool", when it comes to the fighting system, do you, be honest now?

Watch Shenmue 3 battles end up looking like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Matrix crap.

Cool yes, but they were still very much based on physics, and thus super realistic. I love that scene where he kick the guy off the bike, so awesome :) Look how the bike goes does, even that looks realistic, so much attention to detail in the past Shenmue games, I just hope Shenmue 3 doesn't lack enough, to not feel like a Shenmue game.
Last edited by Zoltor on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Could someone give me some modern games who used pretty the same budget of Shenmue 3 please ? (with sources if possible)

Well, we don't actually know the full budget of S3, only the crowdfunding part.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Zoltor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Gen wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Could someone give me some modern games who used pretty the same budget of Shenmue 3 please ? (with sources if possible)

Well, we don't actually know the full budget of S3, only the crowdfunding part.

Besides it wouldn't be a fair comparison anyway, if Yu out sourced the original Shenmue games to another publisher/developer to make(telling them exactly what needs to be done), they would probally claim they cost 200-300m to make.

Yu is one of the few in the industry that knows how to spend money efficiently to get the most out of it.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gavan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:56 pm

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was also partially funded on Kickstarter, like Shenmue 3. And they only raised about 2 million usd.

On January 22, 2014, Warhorse Studios launched a crowdfunding campaign via Kickstarter with the goal of generating £300,000, ten percent of the US$5,000,000 budget, in order to prove to an investor Zdeněk Bakala that there exists an audience and desire for their game. On February 20, 2014, the fund was completed, raising a total of £1,106,371.[7] Even after the end of the Kickstarter campaign, the crowd funding was continued through the studios' website. On October 1, 2014, Daniel Vávra has announced through a YouTube video[14] that the game had raised US$2,002,547 from a total of 38,784 backers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_Come:_Deliverance

It looks very impressive IMHO.

phpBB [video]
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks Gavan.

Gen : I know but we can consider a minimal budget for Shenmue 3 considering the 11m asked by Yu : I would say 15m at least.

I remember have read here that some famous Xbox 360 games like the Witcher 2, Gears of Wars or something else cost around 20m only.

Another question : Who owns the Shenmue 3 licence ? Is it a loan or Yu really owns the rights ? Where is the source ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Gen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:18 pm

About the license, the paypal faq states: SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue 3" license.
This is what Suzuki has said in interviews also. I think it means Sega still owns it.
Gen

Postby Gen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:26 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

I remember have read here that some famous Xbox 360 games like the Witcher 2, Gears of Wars or something else cost around 20m only.

Here are two articles claiming both these games cost around 10m:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witche ... 58698.html
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/gears ... oduce.html

Bear in mind Gears was released in 2006.

Gen has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Gen

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:58 pm

Sega still owns Shenmue, but Ys Net can use the license and every thing developed towards the property for the development of III.

God, I still can't believe III is happening. Sometimes I'm having a bad day or whatever, and I forget, and then I remember anything is possible because Shenmue III exists. :D
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Yokosuka wrote: @ Anonymous81 :

For once, I disagree with you. We have to limit the media bullshit by make clear the facts and slow down the disinformation virus.
Biased people won't change their opinion immediately but they will be more able to do so when the next news turns in favor of Shenmue 3. And it's one more good occasion to demonstrate our Shenmue passion and make it understand that this game has something special.

By all means, knock yourself out. But personally... I've been on the internet since at least early Netscape, and I can count the number of times anyone that biased on the internet has changed their mind on both hands. If i ball both hands up into two fists, with no fingers. :P

I won't say it's not a worthwhile effort. During the KS campaign, as you know, I posted pretty much everywhere I could day and night trying to do the same thing. However, in retrospect, the impact was extremely minimal.

Surges we received that made any real dent in funding at all arose only from the initial announcement, mainstream news articles (whether they were negative or misinformed or not actually, which was kind of surprising but makes sense,) and when we broke records. Especially that last record, and the timing of it. Holy hell was that ever fortuitous. And the last minute push of course. That was a thing of legends. :)

Now normally I'd say, "Every cent matters," but in practical reality, the bulk of funding has been raised and if there's a chance to reach 10 million (or some lower but still awesomely higher than current number,) I don't think its best chances are going to come from converting the minuscule pool of people who are irrationally biased against the game's funding methods, yet also happen to paradoxically be self-critical enough to change their minds when corrected. Just my read. Maybe I'm wrong! I hope so...

Being dismayed does not mean not being determined (at least, it's my case).

Oh I agree. My post was more directed at those expressing outright outrage at the clickbait, misinformed, yellow journalism. It was more an effort to calm people down and reassure than to tell anyone not to try to correct such misnomers. Again by all means, knock yourself out. I hope it works!

It's just not something I have the stomach for a second time around, though. Instead I'm just going to promote the PP and hope enough people who WOULD want to fund if they knew about it, will do so.

So don't hesitate to post in the commentaries. You don't have to stalk the articles 24h/24 , just post a recap of facts and links about the game. No matter if it's too late as the articles can be found later by random readers via Google.

Sadly, personally, I must. But I wish you and anyone else who engages in such nothing but success!
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Gen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Himuro wrote:
God, I still can't believe III is happening. Sometimes I'm having a bad day or whatever, and I forget, and then I remember anything is possible because Shenmue III exists. :D

I know. I registered as a member of this site around 2003 or 2004, and then for several years I was never logged in, although I checked the news around every E3 only to be disappointed every time. I really thought the series was dead forever. I actually forgot my old login so I just created a new one.
Gen

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Himuro wrote: Sega still owns Shenmue, but Ys Net can use the license and every thing developed towards the property for the development of III.

And most importantly, the benefits from the game belong to YSnet and Yu can reinvest directly the money in Shenmue 4 if I'm correct (but we don't know about the Shenmue 4 rights then).

Anonymous81 wrote:Sadly, personally, I must. But I wish you and anyone else who engages in such nothing but success!

I'm currently writing a long Q&A to spread everywhere on the net and make the process easier for everyone.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
Himuro wrote: Sega still owns Shenmue, but Ys Net can use the license and every thing developed towards the property for the development of III.

And most importantly, the benefits from the game belong to YSnet and Yu can reinvest directly the money in Shenmue 4 if I'm correct (but we don't know about the Shenmue 4 rights then).

Really?! News to me! I thought Sega and Ys Net would do a split.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III