NoconKid (Shenmue HD) working on Shenmue III :)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: NoconKid (Shenmue HD) working on Shenmue III :)

Postby Anonymous81 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Words cannot express how happy this makes me, both in the abstract, and for NoconKid himself.

More and more, this feels like something that once we have it in our hands, will be something we know everyone who loves this series touched in some way. Some of us in relatively small ways. Others in massive, direct ways, like Nocon is going to get to do now. And that is just awesome.

And for NoconKid himself, I have to imagine this is absolutely the thrill of a lifetime! It is well deserved, well earned, and absolutely justified in my opinion. He must be alive with pure joy right now lol. And that just makes me so happy for him.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby rigo8582 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:52 pm

No doubt this is a good move. With the stuff he he can do with the Unreal Engine this is a no brainer. I think this helps on many fronts. His experience in the Unreal Engine and understanding of Shenmue should help get the rest of the team up to speed with the Unreal Engine.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Nankeiro » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:30 pm

A wonderful announcement! It's like a dream come true, i suppose. congratulations!!!
Nankeiro
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Superrayman3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 am

After watching his Shenmue stuff using the Unreal 4 engine a while back I knew he had the kind of potential and passion for Shenmue that Suzuki-san needs involved with III and seeing this announcement, it makes me happy to know that Yu also sees said potential and agrees as well, congrats NoconKid I'm sure your work on III will amaze us when the end product is available to fans. :D
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Postby fittersau » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:08 am

What a nice result. NoconKid certainly showed he's got the right stuff to make a beautiful world of Shenmue in UE4. If that's the level they are aiming for with the budget they have, then Shenmue 3 will sure be beautiful.

I also wonder if this signals the intent of the Ys Net team to make Shenmue 1 & 2 remaster given NoconKid's previous work in Shenmue. Possibly this is from SEGA funding directly rather than fan-funded.

That's potentially 4 games successively: Shenmue 3 then 1 & 2 and finally 4. :mrgreen: =D>
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:14 am

Omedetōgozaimasu NoconKid-san!! ;-) :king:
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:19 am

Great news, his stuff was really good and he certainly knows how Shenmue should look and feel.

Maybe he was the one that made YS think about UE in the first place ?

Does the guy speaks japanese ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:02 am

Apparently he doesn't speak Japanese and English.

Since Yu Suzuki and the team don't speak Korean, they probably hired an interpreter, but I have no infos.

Congratulations to him tho, a great news for us and an awesome dream coming true for him !
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Gavan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:22 am

This is great news! =D>
Gavan

Currently playing: Sonic Mania Plus

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:44 am

This is awesome news!

Q: Lastly, do you have any stories you could give that occurred during development so far?

A: One night, I went to a Thai restaurant with the development team after work. At that restaurant, a man approached me and asked to shake hands. He said he was a fan, and we had a brief talk. He also happened to be in the game industry and we began to hit it off. We talked some more to find out he really knew his job, and on top of that, he was an exceptionaly good person. I was so impressed, I asked him to help with the development. I couldn't help but feel Shenmue's unique gravity to bring interesting things together.

We now have the identity of the mysterious fan Suzuki San was talking about :king:

If in charge, I would have made a Kickstarter update for this kind of news.

Also too bad that the Youtube "Shenmue 3 Official" Channel doesn't have any link in the "about" section for the paypal campaign...

I wished the communication would be more dynamic at this point of the development where funds are still needed :???:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Monkei » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:24 am

^ I don't know about that. Somebody on here said that Nocon doesn't speak japanese, and both him and Yu suck at english. Might have been Nocon Kid, might have been somebody else at the restaurant.

Oh, and the game doesn't need funding anymore. I mean it's always gonna need more funding, whether it sits at 6 or at 16 million dollars. Compromises will have to be made either way, and the game will happen either way.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Amir » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:35 am

Yeah he'd already met Noconkid before the KS ended, so the guy in the Thai restaurant is someone new.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:01 am

Monkei wrote: ^ I don't know about that. Somebody on here said that Nocon doesn't speak japanese, and both him and Yu suck at english. Might have been Nocon Kid, might have been somebody else at the restaurant.

Oh, and the game doesn't need funding anymore. I mean it's always gonna need more funding, whether it sits at 6 or at 16 million dollars. Compromises will have to be made either way, and the game will happen either way.

Normally with a statement like that, you couldn't be more wrong, but this is Yu, with a Shenmue game(dangerous combination to say the least), and going on the theory that Yu has the worst case of OCD, yet somehow is still able to function in the real world, yea that's true in this case.

I would't be shocked, if someone gave 50m to yu, and he still would find a actual "practical" use to spend the money on(unlike any other developer, such would be used to add even more to gameplay too, opposed to just dumping it all into overhyped graphics).
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:18 am

Amir wrote: Yeah he'd already met Noconkid before the KS ended, so the guy in the Thai restaurant is someone new.

Well, original Shenmue 3 official tweet points in your direction (both you and Monkei) since they talk about new memberS.

I would be more than happy if they annouce the hiring of another "fan/game industry insider" as good as Kid Nocon.

Is Yu Suzuki struggling this much with English?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Zoltor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:34 am

Kiske wrote:
Amir wrote: Yeah he'd already met Noconkid before the KS ended, so the guy in the Thai restaurant is someone new.

Well, original Shenmue 3 official tweet points in your direction (both you and Monkei) since they talk about new memberS.

"I would be more than happy if they annouce the hiring of another "fan/game industry insider" as good as Kid Nocon.

Is Yu Suzuki struggling this much with English?"

The problem is with that, is Japan doesn't have a indie scene(one is finally forming right now, but It's very small compared to the likes of what existed in the US since 2004.

To make matters worse, Japanese is possibly the hardest language in the world to learn, arn is archaic to say the least, the Japanese language was never designed to allow complex interactions with people, so finding someone who when through the hassle of learning Japanese, that doesn't already have a full time job as a translator in Japan, Isn't going to be easy(hell you can't even properly translate other Asian languages into Japanese 95% of the time, It's that bad).

I'm willing to bet, that 99% of the people outside of Japan, who know Japanese, are into the fan translation scene, opposed to the indie game development scene, so they aren't going to be the biggest help for Shenmue 3.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III