"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:22 am

There was recently the polygon bullshit, and the gamespot kane & lynch stuff (lol).

But also giving "caresses" to revieweres is a regular thing. I remember looking at a vid in gametrailers were the skinny guy bloodworth said that for forza they wanted to give him a ride in some fancy car so he could hear how realistic the game was or some bullshit like that, but he didn't do it.

Also banning different journos and stuff.

Gaming journalism is PR and promotion, and we kinda like it, but becomes old kinda fast. It's not even that the big creators can go talk about the game without permission and stuff like that. So pretty much the only thing you can do is:
- Talk to indie guys that need coverage (but no one cares).
- Translate what is on every site.
- Reviews and criticism.
- More "academic" stuff, that caters mostly to game developers than general public.

Then you can see why it's pretty stale, why they do clickbait and why they get bribed.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:45 am

Even without the bribery gaming journalism is too dependent on the big gaming companies to be able to give objective reviews. The fact that they depend so much on advertisement revenue from the same companies they do reviews for in addition to the fact that to stay competitive reviewers need to be able to receive games early meaning that being able to review the game itself becomes a bargaining chip, all this makes professional gaming journalism incredibly untrustworthy in general.

south carmain has received a thanks from: fittersau
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:49 am

Just reading through N64 Magazines and Official Dreamcast Magazines whilst watching vintage episodes on Gamesmaster on YouTube. Them were the days videogaming journalism was done right. So glad I was a gamer in the era where neutrality existed in gaming journalism.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:35 pm

I hate the fact only AAA games get decent treatment from "gaming journalists". Indie/smaller budget games always get crapped on and it's not fair.

I'm at a crossroads: I'd be interested to see how Life Is Strange, personally one of my favourite titles in many years with a lot of heart and soul - and an impossible choice ending - faired with the likes of Gamespot, Polygon and Eurogamer. But I daren't even look in case I get frustrated with them again.

Edit: It looks like Gamespot are at it again already. They took one sentence from Yu's recent interview and made it sound like he "is teasing an Xbox One release". =D> :roll:
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 pm

Sonoshee wrote:Edit: It looks like Gamespot are at it again already. They took one sentence from Yu's recent interview and made it sound like he "is teasing an Xbox One release". =D> :roll:

The interview author's called them out on it: http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/10/22/ ... one-plans/

GameSpot writer's response: "Honestly, I have no interest in envenomed public debate. You think I'm spinning for traffic, I think you're being soft. Laters."
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Himuro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:Edit: It looks like Gamespot are at it again already. They took one sentence from Yu's recent interview and made it sound like he "is teasing an Xbox One release". =D> :roll:

The interview author's called them out on it: http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/10/22/ ... one-plans/

GameSpot writer's response: "Honestly, I have no interest in envenomed public debate. You think I'm spinning for traffic, I think you're being soft. Laters."

Gamespot writer said that?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Is something wrong with that Gamespot guy? Why is he publicly advocating his failed journalistic position?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:29 am

Zoltor wrote: To drunkensailor: It was very much documented on the net back then(It's what made all of us finally give up on so called professional review sites), but I suck at digging up info that is only a few years old on the net, nevermind stuff this old. I thought it was pretty common knowledge though, especially for people who were around back then.

so in other words: no proof at all.

Sonoshee wrote: I hate the fact only AAA games get decent treatment from "gaming journalists". Indie/smaller budget games always get crapped on and it's not fair.

I'm at a crossroads: I'd be interested to see how Life Is Strange, personally one of my favourite titles in many years with a lot of heart and soul - and an impossible choice ending - faired with the likes of Gamespot, Polygon and Eurogamer. But I daren't even look in case I get frustrated with them again.

Edit: It looks like Gamespot are at it again already. They took one sentence from Yu's recent interview and made it sound like he "is teasing an Xbox One release". =D> :roll:

yeah like limbo :roll: mother of god what a bunch of idiots here. companies paying traveling and food etc is normal. any company does this and it's not bribing it's called PROMOTION and it was also done 15-20 years ago. explain to me how a game like the witcher 3 get's such enormous praise yet had almost no money in promotion and advertising. better yet explain to me how certain games can still get low grades (mad max)despite companies treating reviewers like that.

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby south carmain » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:49 am

drunkensailor wrote: explain to me how a game like the witcher 3 get's such enormous praise yet had almost no money in promotion and advertising.

completely wrong
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wi ... n-to-make/
That figure includes not just the development budget, but also an extensive promotional push that included 40 "fine-tuned" campaigns in "every key market" as well as a simultaneous global campaign, a combined effort that CEO Adam Kiciński said was "a daunting task." A few other interesting figures he cited: CD Projekt's internal development team was made up of more than 240 people representing 18 nationalities, while around 1500 people were involved in the development and launch of the game globally
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby NeoShredder » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:58 am

south carmain wrote:
drunkensailor wrote: explain to me how a game like the witcher 3 get's such enormous praise yet had almost no money in promotion and advertising.

completely wrong
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-wi ... n-to-make/
That figure includes not just the development budget, but also an extensive promotional push that included 40 "fine-tuned" campaigns in "every key market" as well as a simultaneous global campaign, a combined effort that CEO Adam Kiciński said was "a daunting task." A few other interesting figures he cited: CD Projekt's internal development team was made up of more than 240 people representing 18 nationalities, while around 1500 people were involved in the development and launch of the game globally

Not to mention the Witcher 2 was given as a gift to Barack Obama from the-then Polish Prime Minister and the current prime minister was at the launch party of the Witcher 3. Now I love the Witcher and poland should be proud of it but damn if that isn't promotion I don't know what is lol.

EDIT: Lol scratch that, just seen this tweet from Cedric:
Tomorrow, I will have the opportunity to introduce #shenmue3 to HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco. I like to share our passion for this Game !

:lol: Maybe Shenmue III will get the state treatment too!

Is something wrong with that Gamespot guy? Why is he publicly advocating his failed journalistic position?

That is a shitty position to take. Let's face it we all know that Gamespot since the very game and that review score in 2000 has had a somewhat hallowed controversy against the Shenmue series. With that legacy I almost expect it. Still is this is just poor.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 pm

drunkensailor wrote:
Zoltor wrote: To drunkensailor: It was very much documented on the net back then(It's what made all of us finally give up on so called professional review sites), but I suck at digging up info that is only a few years old on the net, nevermind stuff this old. I thought it was pretty common knowledge though, especially for people who were around back then.

so in other words: no proof at all.

Sonoshee wrote: I hate the fact only AAA games get decent treatment from "gaming journalists". Indie/smaller budget games always get crapped on and it's not fair.

yeah like limbo :roll: mother of god what a bunch of idiots here. companies paying traveling and food etc is normal. any company does this and it's not bribing it's called PROMOTION and it was also done 15-20 years ago. explain to me how a game like the witcher 3 get's such enormous praise yet had almost no money in promotion and advertising. better yet explain to me how certain games can still get low grades (mad max)despite companies treating reviewers like that.

Calling me an "idiot" for airing an opinion is a very childish attitude and it's uncalled for. Have a discussion without having to resort to that, please.

On track, I never claimed any review site took bribes. All I said was lower budget titles seem to get butchered a lot more than AAA games do by the larger "gaming" sites. Any one who reads enough reviews will know this. Mentioning Limbo and Witcher 3 isn't going to change my outlook, because over the years there have been countless lower budget games that have deserved more praise than what they got.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:32 pm

That is a shitty position to take. Let's face it we all know that Gamespot since the very game and that review score in 2000 has had a somewhat hallowed controversy against the Shenmue series. With that legacy I almost expect it. Still is this is just poor.

No I mean is something wrong with the guy neurologically speaking? He's humiliating himself on a public forum and seems oblivious to that fact.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Just noticed the Gamespot article also "typos" the name of the game as "SHUNmue." -_- Last time I checked, U was nowhere near E on a keyboard.

The bias is positively wafting off of the gaming press when it comes to this game.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 pm

This is the highest caliber indie game of all time, or am I wrong ?

shredingskin has received a thanks from: fittersau
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III