"I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogamer

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "I Could Do With A Bit More Money" Yu Interview @Eurogam

Postby Ziming » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:00 pm

The Shameful Media Coverage of Shenmue 3 (NeoGAF)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121020

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Shibiryo, Sonoshee, Yokosuka
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:16 pm

south carmain wrote: Good going vyse. Hitting them with some of that cutlass fury.

HaaaaaaAAA!? Pirate's Wrath! :P
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:34 pm

I do not really care about media coverage.

Shenmue III will be made. Journalists want some clicks, it's not a job about reporting, it's about traffic.

Some people don't like the game, don't care or are skeptics about one of the biggest pioneers of the industry.

I will now proceed to not care, and maybe get drunk.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:10 pm

You should care because the negative press could impact the game sales. They have shown to have a negative bias against Shenmue, pretty much the entire media. What happens when it comes out and they review badly in mass? Sales will plummet and the chance of getting a Shenmue IV will be unlikely even if the game is a masterpiece wholly due to clickbait ass holes in the gaming media. You SHOULD care. This affects Shenmue highly.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:12 pm

Ziming wrote: The Shameful Media Coverage of Shenmue 3 (NeoGAF)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1121020

They are going pretty deep into people's arses concerning this issue there.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 pm

They are gonna do what they are gonna do.

I don't read games media because it's basically some random guy rambling about something that it's pretty much a press release, gaming "news" are promotional trailers, we all know that.

YSnet isn't those big companies that can pay reviews, trips to play the game, press them with withdrawing ads, etc.

While it's interesting seeing different opinions on a game, I can't/won't say that they shouldn't voice it. There are different voices/opinions, and reviews are subjective as fuck.

I do care about shitty journalism, but it happens everywhere, even in politics. It doesn't take much to just call Shenmue fans a "mob" and do their narrative flow. And people get as touchy as we can get on Shenmue. It's a matter of perspective.

I do not want censorship, I do not like clickbait, and sadly the only thing they can say it's: "that's our take on it". They do it because it works, there's not that much to it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shibiryo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:26 pm

shredingskin wrote: They are gonna do what they are gonna do.

I don't read games media because it's basically some random guy rambling about something that it's pretty much a press release, gaming "news" are promotional trailers, we all know that.

YSnet isn't those big companies that can pay reviews, trips to play the game, press them with withdrawing ads, etc.

While it's interesting seeing different opinions on a game, I can't/won't say that they shouldn't voice it. There are different voices/opinions, and reviews are subjective as fuck.

I do care about shitty journalism, but it happens everywhere, even in politics. It doesn't take much to just call Shenmue fans a "mob" and do their narrative flow. And people get as touchy as we can get on Shenmue. It's a matter of perspective.

I do not want censorship, I do not like clickbait, and sadly the only thing they can say it's: "that's our take on it". They do it because it works, there's not that much to it.

Yes, exactly.

I'm going to write using proper punctuation for
once, to show you that I mean it. What Shenmue 3 has shown me, is that the dividing line between message board poster and video game journalist is a lot narrower than anybody ever thought. Eurogamer's recent article is really great. It is. It tells the story of a game developer icon emerging from a decade in the background. Revitalised by his fans, a creative given back his medium to work in. Someone who has recovered their purpose in life. But the headline is of course "I could do with a bit more money!" A single quote, from a very small part of the article. There's a great story in the article as a whole, there truly is. Sadly, that story has been sacrificed for clicks. They don't want you to read about a man who is enriched by the support of fans and looking to pay them back with something they've wanted for so long. They want you to read about this imaginary greedy man rubbing his hands to get your money. Because outrage gets page views. Even if there's nothing there to be outraged about. And so the headline gets passed around, and people think that's the whole story. Then you get awful opinion pieces like Ben Kuchera's. His baffling, weird, confusing opinion piece where you can't figure out what the point is, besides a character assassination on Yu Suzuki for purposes unknown.

Some information about Shenmue 3 has been confusing. Some quotes taken out of context, some information that wasn't immediately clarified. The campaign wasn't perfect, the fans know that better than anybody. What's awful is that the misinformation continues to spread, even after issues have been clarified. Despite best efforts of fans who have been following Shenmue 3's development closer thanp retty much anybody in the games media. When we get annoyed or angry that a journalist has cited their own opinions about it as fact, or just disappointed us with a poor title choice like Eurogamer did, suddenly we're 'outraged fanboys' and Twitter post fodder for some game journalists to sneer at. I've seen Shenmue called a sacred cow. It's anything but. Shenmue has been openly ridiculed for years and years. Sometimes for valid reasons, and sometimes just because.

It's only in the last couple of years we've seen articles like the great Guardian piece where the writer looked past the meme-bait voice acting and reputation for being 'boring walking simulator' to find a game they really liked, even without any nostalgic factor on their part. People like Colin Moriarty writing the game off three months into development is just dumb.

Nobody doubts making Shenmue 3 is a
monumental task, but Yu Suzuki is a video game
icon that this industry owes huge amounts to. Just as much as Miyamoto and others. Yu Suzuki seems revitalised, energised, and creatively refreshed. That's something to be excited about. An industry great, stripped of his old superstar status, but given new purpose by his fans. It's a lot of pressure, but I definitely think he can handle it. But nobody wants to read about that, right?

Shibiryo has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Yeah. :( "Sacred Cow" indeed. If only.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Like they say, it's not the pig's problem is the one that feeds them.

I can't be mad about shitty journalists that want some clicks, I can't get mad about people that like fucking drama above anything (it's part of the rethoric "appeal to emotions").

We can't do shit, we live in a world were news are the topic of a day, the gulf war has had 3 "HD remakes" and no one gives a shit. Today is that one girl has a big ass, tomorrow that a singer barfed, next it's that some guy pulled a gun in an acuarium, etc.

It's how our culture works right now, we live in a democracy that caters to the majority (and the bar is getting lower and lower), and it's about that (of course fueled by money).

The only thing you can actually do it just live and let die.

Even by being here we have already taken a "position", as most people do, the world is a rock floating in the middle of anything, but our center is our own belly (and there are lots).

"The world would be better if they did things my way" - everyone.

Just really happy knowing that Yu seems to be happier (that was the best part of the article for me).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Well if we're going to get THAT existential... there's no compelling objective, evidenciary reason to care about anything. Even mere survival. There's no persuasive proof by my standards that any of this means anything at all, that we even have free will in the classically thought of sense, or that anything of our species, deeds, thoughts, or feelings will remain in due course, in a cold, dark, fatal universe indifferent to our struggle. It very well could ALL be moot.

Yet here we are, breathing, typing, and caring enough to spend one iota of energy at all on anything so... I have no problem with people lamenting how this project is portrayed. I understand the reasons for it, and it's not something I wish to spend an inordinate amount of energy or concern on, however it's just as worthy as anything else one could spend one's time on ultimately.

Just like bothering to post anything here. :P
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:59 pm

Not rude, sincere, well written, that was a fantastic post Anonymous81 ! Thanks for your effort =D>
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Giorgio » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The journalist who made the article "Understanding the Sony's role in Shenmue III" on The Escapist has recently written a very offensive article against Star Citizen. Chris Roberts asks for excuses or he will sue the website.

New article by Shitaku/Porygon/IGNorant/Euroclickbaiter/etc, with headline: "OPINION: Chris Roberts' suing is immoral and why Yu Suzuki might do the same!"
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Yup, survival also means we get attached to things. And it's a way of defense and self preservation to "care" about certain things that we have affinity.

But I was more in the vein of "hate the game, not the player" (even if I think Kutchera is a sub-human piece of shit), if it's not him it's going to be another one that do the clickbait, and that's because people click on it.

People voted with their clicks, that's what they want, shitty journalism, drama, pamphlet and bullshit. This is how things are, who knows, maybe after some time of this people will react and it will be extinguished or maybe not. I think that not is the safer bet.

Today the socratic truth doesn't apply, and the rhethoric is everything, specially since now anybody opinion is as important (and even more) than anybody else's opinion, and the social exposition is the gauge for everything.

Welcome to the ochlocracy, some people just know how to profit more from weakminded people, and that's what matters.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Himuro wrote: You should care because the negative press could impact the game sales.

Honestly, nobody who reads these kinds of things is going to play Shenmue anyway. Next to nobody reads Polygon, and those that do would rather complain about CIS white male privilege in video games on the Internet than actually play a video game.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: fittersau
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Don't know about that, in the neogaf thread a lot of people keep saying that kutchera got 750k to praise xbone "online only" debacle. So at least some gamers do still read that (or MS just like to throw money away).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III