Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview : A New Shenmue

Postby LucBu » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:31 am

I'm a little anxious about the combat system since I found the risk and skill of Shenmue's battle system engaging. It felt very alive, dynamic is a better word, and it was possible to be fast yet not treat it as a button basher.

I fear a simplified form might be akin to more lowbrow stuff. However, there is no one I'd rather have make a Shenmue game than Yu Suzuki. Although I do think it's a mistake not to keep up to date with current game design and play contemporary works, I will give Yu the benefit of the doubt and be willing to try whatever he comes up with.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Zoltor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:35 am

Kiske wrote: What if we debate on the success/failure of the Ragdoll implementation when the first gameplay demonstrating it comes out?

If you want to hope everything else involving Ragdoll Physics gets removed/fixed as well(every aspect of the mechanic is a trainwreck, it would be so much faster, and cheaper to just make your own) sure I'll play along, even though I don't see that happening.

I can't believe we need to worry about Yu of all people, taking the lazy/cheap way out for fighting systems, I mean It's Yu Suzuki of all people, he created the 3D fighter genre, and I do believe he created the first "realistic" physics engine in games in general as well, such a shame Yu would throw all that out the window.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:39 am

Ragdoll can be used for better "connection" hits, most of the time you want to hit X places, with that you can map those places and getting to punch/kick those more efficiently with the whole body reacting to it.

Maybe he just wants better falling animations, who the fuck knows.

I think that with the budget of SIII there's no way it will be as "big" as SII was, too many animations, difficulties.

Again, Who the fuck knows.aasoldkdnmñlakjmsd
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Anonymous81 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:02 pm

I for one will refrain from being presumptuous about what vaguely worded, translated comments mean for a game that's very early in development.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby vinny460 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 pm

can't wait for shenmue 3 i am soo pumped for it omg it took them like 15 years just to get the 3rd on in the works XD :rotflmao: :D

http://imgur.com/GGHKMYS
vinny460
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:45 pm

I'm glad that Suzuki is admitting that the Shenmue 3 that would have been released in 2003 will truly never exist. Games have changed, and Yu Suzuki has changed as an artist.

But Shenmue 3 will hopefully be even better now... all the creativity and new ideas that have been marinating in Yu's head this past decade and a half will be realized in a new and exciting Shenmue 3!

Not to mention the power of PS4 will make the world of Shenmue truly come to life in a way that just wasn't possible on Dreamcast.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:
Zoltor wrote: To 14
I'm shocked Yu actually came forward with such info, but I hope Ryo doesn't succeed already. I hope the encounter involves him hitting Lan Di, Lan Di hitting him, and Ryo hitting the floor.

However being that' that's now most likely going to be the case, I give it a 98% chance that Lan Di is going to take off with the Phoenix Mirror at the end of Shenmue 3

It makes me nervous for Yu to say silly stuff like, he would like to allow Ryo to beable to pick up things, I mean WTF is he saying that he's not sure he'll get around to adding such in?

That should be one of the very first things being calculated into the game from the start, not all these so called new things.

It's not a Shenmue game, if Ryo can't interact with the environment.

the overall impression i get is that it's going to be a more awesome and accessible version of the mobile/tablet UFC game, which in turn is based on Infinity Blade's basic combat system, except with the ability to move around more.

i don't think that's a bad thing, I liked those games, and Shenmue 3 looks to be a significant improvement on those on a cinematic/martial arts level. i don't think the battle system was anyone's favorite part of Shenmue compared to the execution of the storytelling, environments, and incorporating the martial arts moves in great detail into the story and Ryo's characterization, similar to the way an RPG would.

i enjoyed the old free battles, but without all the aforementioned stuff, it would've just been a game like Yakuza or Sleeping Dogs, which aren't bad but aren't special either.

So it really doesn't bother me that it's not going to be like VF5 or DOA5. if i want to play something like that, I could just play those games.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Yeah Shenmue fans usually rate the combat system as a secondary feature but I think it's mostly because they were unable to enjoy completely the VF2 system which is hard to master with so few battles and poor AI. Put the VF5 system in Shenmue II and this will be a drug for everyone.

I know that other aspects are more important but I would be utterly disappointed if the "advanced" battle system does not reach at least the level of Virtua Fighter 3. I liked Sleeping Dogs but this is nowhere the greatness of Shenmue despite its drawbacks with several opponents.
Last edited by Yokosuka on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:01 pm

sleeping dogs' melee combat was WAY too easy. at least we know S3 combat will have a strategic/puzzle solving element to serve as a challenge.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III