Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Dual Shockers Yu Suzuki Interview

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Obviously when you are still on the testing phase, promising 60 FPS would be irresponsible.

I think Suzuki and his team are competent enough to evaluate roughly the ability of his tools and conclude clearly that 60 fps would be very hard to optimize.

Roughly doesn't cut it, they have a lot of work to do before thinking about framerate. But knowing Yu Suzuki style, he will try to cram as much detail as possible in the open world hence the frame rate taking a hit.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:26 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Roughly doesn't cut it, they have a lot of work to do before thinking about framerate. But knowing Yu Suzuki style, he will try to cram as much detail as possible in the open world hence the frame rate taking a hit.

Framerate is inherent to all development parts, this is usually the thing you think first and that comes to you first as a developer. Because if your goal is to see what you can do with the considering tools, everything is possible in making a video game whatever the system you're working on. But it's just not interesting to play a game at 5 fps because there are too much calculations. Don't know whether I've been clear enough though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Anonymous81 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Wow, this is a great week for Shenmue III news and interviews! :D And with an update promised next week this is exciting.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby 7heavens » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:35 am

He was probably hesitant about the frame rate because he may plan the game to be AI heavy therefore a lot of CPU resources and calcs will be needed.
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Amir » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 am

I just hope things like physics aren't tied to the frame rate, so the frame rate won't have to be locked for the PC version.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:00 am

Very good interview. This and David's one are very complementary and offer a lot of new info!

I personally don't really care about Shenmue 3 beeing 30 or 60 fps. 30 is good enough if the team can spend time and ressources towards other important aspects of the game.
Since the budget is what it is, deal with compromises is the key here imo.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:10 am

Yokosuka wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:

Framerate is inherent to all development parts, this is usually the thing you think first and that comes to you first as a developer. Because if your goal is to see what you can do with the considering tools, everything is possible in making a video game whatever the system you're working on. But it's just not interesting to play a game at 5 fps because there are too much calculations. Don't know whether I've been clear enough though.

Of course its not interesting to play a 5 FPS game but a creator doesn't start with "we will make a 60 FPS game... Oh and by the way whats our game about?"

To a project like remaster that may be so, this isn't the case.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:50 am

A developer starts with "what I want to do, what can I do". And you can't answer this question without thinking about framerate. Game design and framerate are dependent concepts since video gaming has always been a story of technology and constrains. This is by judging the framerate first that you can decide then which elements can form your game and where the money can be safely invested.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:42 am

You know full well if the frame rate is capped at 30 for the PS4, even though loads of current games are right now and no one is making any fuss about frame rate these days, shock horror Shenmue 3 highest funded kickstarter video game in history can't manage 60 fps!!!???
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 am

Unreal Engine 4 is a recent engine which we still don't know the exact potential. Furthermore, Suzuki said that gorgeous graphics were not the priority of Shenmue III. So it was not irrelevant to expect some suspense about the framerate.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:43 pm

James Brown wrote: You know full well if the frame rate is capped at 30 for the PS4, even though loads of current games are right now and no one is making any fuss about frame rate these days, shock horror Shenmue 3 highest funded kickstarter video game in history can't manage 60 fps!!!???

With depressing predictability it's already the focus of most news stories I've seen about these interviews. Clickbait never changes.

In over 25 years of gaming I've never once, ever, thought to myself, "I wish this game had a higher frame rate." I could understand it in extreme, unplayable cases, but anyone who's concerned themselves with the number of F's per S in the average video game should probably find themselves a new hobby, quite frankly. Trainspotting perhaps, or tweeting directors about their continuity errors.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Zoltor
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Zoltor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
James Brown wrote: You know full well if the frame rate is capped at 30 for the PS4, even though loads of current games are right now and no one is making any fuss about frame rate these days, shock horror Shenmue 3 highest funded kickstarter video game in history can't manage 60 fps!!!???

With depressing predictability it's already the focus of most news stories I've seen about these interviews. Clickbait never changes.

In over 25 years of gaming I've never once, ever, thought to myself, "I wish this game had a higher frame rate." I could understand it in extreme, unplayable cases, but anyone who's concerned themselves with the number of F's per S in the average video game should probably find themselves a new hobby, quite frankly. Trainspotting perhaps, or tweeting directors about their continuity errors.

I couldn't agree more. This Isn't even a FPS lol, and I hate to break it to all the graphic whores out there(since they're the only ones who care about the whole framerate nonsense), but most FPS even play just fine at 30, so those people need to get over it.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Unreal Engine 4 is a recent engine which we still don't know the exact potential.

Yet another reason why they can't safely say if the game will be able to run at 60 FPS or not. Being the 30 FPS mark a sign of conservatism on their part to avoid outcries.

Fallout 4 is dropping soon, the game was being made prior to PS4 and Xbox One being things. During development they realized 60 FPS on consoles wouldn't be possible therefore its locked at 30. The end.

Shenmue 3 doesn't even have proper character models yet much less a test world filled with enough AI scripts and content to see how much this Unreal Engine 4 can take.

We are also talking about people that haven't made a videogame in decades. Show me a playable breathing town first, lets talk framerate later.

Because if the game due to lack of funding, isn't able to deliver detailed enviroments. We will get basically a telltale game... and those ones run solid 60 FPS.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Zoltor wrote:
I couldn't agree more. This Isn't even a FPS lol, and I hate to break it to all the graphic whores out there(since they're the only ones who care about the whole framerate nonsense), but most FPS even play just fine at 30, so those people need to get over it.
Fighting games benefit from 60fps, its not just First Person Shooters.

i for one don't care if SIII is 30 or 60 that much, but 60 is always better.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby iyapol » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:34 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the closed-world comment. Sounds like there's going to be big restrictions as to where you can go and what you can see. So much for a 'truly open world'.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III