Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:13 pm

HD ports should definately happen before the relase of Shenmue III. If they plan to make some real remakes though I wouldn't mind if these came out after III. That way they can use the new engine and features of III and Yu Suzuki will be free to direct them the way he wants them. And of course these would then be an awesome way to fill the gap until Shenmue IV comes out. ;-)
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby LucBu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:03 am

BlueMue wrote:HD ports should definately happen before the relase of Shenmue III. If they plan to make some real remakes though I wouldn't mind if these came out after III. That way they can use the new engine and features of III and Yu Suzuki will be free to direct them the way he wants them. And of course these would then be an awesome way to fill the gap until Shenmue IV comes out. ;-)

Sega will never build Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes with a new engine. It'll never happen.

HD ports would take their technical staff less than two weeks to make. They'd never shell out for the long road.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GYO6161 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:47 am

I refuse to belive that Sega Europe would post that Shenmue tweet without expecting us Shenmue fans to flip out. I mean is like obvious, i really hope that it is a very slim tease to something in the future.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Mr357 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I wasn't expecting them to announce anything until next E3, but if they're already buttering us up like this it means they're either:
- being dicks and getting our hopes up over nothing
- jumping the gun on trying to build hype
- almost ready to reveal something Shenmue related

Mr357 has received a thanks from: fittersau
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Mr357 wrote: I wasn't expecting them to announce anything until next E3, but if they're already buttering us up like this it means they're either:
- being dicks and getting our hopes up over nothing
- jumping the gun on trying to build hype
- almost ready to reveal something Shenmue related

The "fun" fact is that all of your three options are realistic :-#

Kiske has received a thanks from: fittersau
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:50 pm

LucBu wrote:
BlueMue wrote:HD ports should definately happen before the relase of Shenmue III. If they plan to make some real remakes though I wouldn't mind if these came out after III. That way they can use the new engine and features of III and Yu Suzuki will be free to direct them the way he wants them. And of course these would then be an awesome way to fill the gap until Shenmue IV comes out. ;-)

HD ports would take their technical staff less than two weeks to make. They'd never shell out for the long road.

Nonsense. There's studios dedicated to HD remasters who get contracted specifically to do those alone and nothing else; such as Bluepoint Games who did MGS2 and MGS3 HD Collection, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection and the upcoming Gravity Rush Remaster as well as Hexadrive who did Rez HD, Okami HD and The Wind Waker HD. If we are lucky and I mean very lucky, SEGA will get either of those two studios to do Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.

HD Remasters are a much bigger undertaking than you think they are.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby SMDzero » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:19 pm

Why would Sega NOT release SI and SII HD? Seems not only the perfect opportunity but near imperative enterprise with Shemnue 3 coming.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:31 pm

They would have to be dumb not to.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby LucBu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:
LucBu wrote:

Nonsense. There's studios dedicated to HD remasters who get contracted specifically to do those alone and nothing else; such as Bluepoint Games who did MGS2 and MGS3 HD Collection, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection and the upcoming Gravity Rush Remaster as well as Hexadrive who did Rez HD, Okami HD and The Wind Waker HD. If we are lucky and I mean very lucky, SEGA will get either of those two studios to do Shenmue 1 and 2 HD.

HD Remasters are a much bigger undertaking than you think they are.

It was more of an exaggeration for comedic effect. :)
LucBu

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:38 pm

My hope was an announcement or even a steam release before the paypal campaign end. It's not going to happen at this pace.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mrandyk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:06 pm

I'd guess Shenmue I HD comes out 9-12 months before Shenmue 3 with Shenmue II HD following about three or four months later. Looking at 2017. 2016 is too soon before release if anyone is trying to drum up interest for Shenmue 3.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Giony » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:21 pm

as long as it comes out on xbox im happy
Giony
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:56 am

Yokosuka Martian wrote: They would have to be dumb not to.

I really can't see Sega making a dumb decision :-k
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Giorgio wrote:
«Admitting that Sega has not done a “great job over the last four years” in communicating its brand values»

Only? Especially after SEGA was taken over by SAMMY, showing the exit door to their legendary creators and ignoring old consumers.

«I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,”»

What? SEGA-SAMMY did Not make a single free tweet or post to promote the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter and now they want to take the credit for the created buzz? That is a shame. And, no; I love Yu Suzuki's legacy, not SAMMY's profit-first brand values.

«Who says Sega is exploring ways to re-release the original two Shenmue titles.»

Pfft. That better be true, and not another misleading quote of "We want to earn old fans' trust back and we'll do it!" ending up in nowhere. Exploring ways... This makes sense only if they talk about legal ways about Shenmue's game engine license. Because, if they meant ways of publishing, that's a given: Steam, PSN, XBL etc.

it's certainly not an easy decision though. like, would it do better as a phone/ipad game or a console/PC game? should they remaster it?

i think they need to do market research on this. for example, the re release of Jet Set Radio was botched and removed from the Google Play store. They probably want to avoid repeating that mistake, especially since they know how much Shenmue matters to people.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III