Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Europe comments on Shenmue

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Damn Sega lol
It's nice of them to acknowledge the game when we talk about it, but it's hard to not think that there is a hidden meaning with them. The way I see it, the dude sitting on the other end of the twitter account probably just wants to reply to people, hell, he might even like Shenmue, but in reality he probably doesn't know much about the behind the scenes of Sega and their unreleased projects.

Everything I see, and everything that I feel makes me believe that they will re-release them before S3 but yet again... ITS SEGA! I'll believe it when I see it...(and I'll keep on wishing and getting my hopes up when they Tweet about it).
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Hoping this is really just more than an overzealous community manager trying to engage people. While I don't think SEGA are dumb enough to leave the money on the table for a HD Shenmue collection after the huge splash the Kickstarter made, I really want to see it announced/released while the PayPal campaign is still active so we can see the increase in interest and aim for $7 million.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Telekill » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Worst case scenario and most likely one... Shenmue HD Collection doesn't happen. I keep my Dreamcast with the first two games and replay it before getting my PS4 copy of Shenmue III in the mail from being a Kickstart supporter.

Better scenario and still likely... Shenmue HD Collection releases on PSN and Steam as digital only. I finally get to play Shenmue II in English.

Best scenario and unlikely... Shenmue HD Collection releases on PS4 and PC on disc.

Either way, If Shenmue HD Collection actually releases, it will be before Shenmue 3's release. I don't see why Sega would waste the money releasing them if not to do a cash grab before the new game's release. There wouldn't be a point to it after the new game released. Half of those with any interest that have yet to play them would probably just YouTube the first two games and call it good. Sega would loose out on those potential profits.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Not releasing an HD collection is the most likely option? Nah.

SEGA knows they are sitting on money. They're not dumb, not matter how much people try to rationalise their business decisions as such. What is good for the consumer is not always good for the business, y'know? That's primarily the reason why SEGA hedges their bets so much recently, they're very risk adverse.

There's enough momentum behind the Shenmue brand in general right now to justify getting an HD collection done without too much happening in the way of endless cost reports to justify it. Is Sony involved in making the push? Maybe. It might just be a way to help SEGA offset the cost by enlisting their help on making it happen (i.e helping untangle any outstanding legal issues).

It won't be on disk though. At least, it's very unlikely the collection will be a disk release.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:29 pm

I get it's probably foolish to cling on to every little mention Sega makes, but it still makes me hopeful that the company is open to doing something with the franchise.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Previous

Return to Shenmue III