How important are the graphics to you?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How important are the graphics to you?

Postby SledgeNE » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Not so much. Gameplay and storyline is more important for me. But it would be very fantastic when the graphics are up to date when the game development is finished. I would be very pleased when the graphics are so like the Kickstarter-Teaser. :D
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Aesthetics > Graphics.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:35 pm

The problem is whether we want to or not, we will compare Shenmue 3 work with either current gen modelling of characters by other companies or have an expectation Shenmue 3's graphics will be head and shoulders above everything else like Shenmue 1 & 2 was back then. It's just not possible with their budget. You can't expect Ys Net to suddenly attract the same talent and experience as Team Ninja staff who have honed their skill with multiple iterations of DoA.

These two characters for example of Akira and Leifang would be the two closest who could exist in the Shenmue universe. They both belong to a fighting game like Ryo does. It's hard not to make comparisons whether intentionally or not.

ImageImage

I would like this level of fidelity of Ryo. However, we may never get it.. and I'm still ok with that.

Secretly I want this level of graphics... [-X :mrgreen:
Very similar to a Niao Sun angle and sexy menace.

Love the way Momiji's hair flows (and the quality of the model in general)
Click on the image to expand and see the hair better.
Last edited by fittersau on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:04 pm

We will have that level of fidelity for Ryo. Far better, in fact. The only thing that's obscenely detailed in that model, by today's standards, is his hair.

You really don't think that fidelity is achievable?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Himuro wrote: We will have that level of fidelity for Ryo. Far better, in fact. The only thing that's obscenely detailed in that model, by today's standards, is his hair.

You really don't think that fidelity is achievable?

Good thing is they already have that hair. The Shenmue 3 model is not far off from the example above. I do think they can do it, but it's down to the the modeller's skill and Suzuki's sign off. They may want to simply go with a different look to Shenmue 1 & 2. They need to tweak the proportions, mouth & nose. Not sure why they're not digging out the old Passport model like we do and make a low poly version of that for in game.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Perhaps because they know they can do better than the old Passport and they need to start from zero then. I would not be surprised if the new Ryo looks slightly different from the old one. I can see the character designers not being satisfied with their own original work and aiming to improve them.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:26 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Perhaps because they know they can do better than the old Passport and they need to start from zero then. I would not be surprised if the new Ryo looks slightly different from the old one. I can see the character designers not being satisfied with their own original work and aiming to improve them.

Maybe I'm setting my expectations too low! :rotflmao:

Suzuki hasn't spoiled anything with these pics thankfully.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Tbh I don't get why everyone is so excited. The Unreal Engine 4 is basically gorgeous so the quality of these pics is not surprising at all imo.

And if you look at indies, there are globally magnificent (Kingdom Come, Ethan Carter) so why YS Net would not be able to ?
Even an old-gen Project Zero 5 has awesome charadesigns.

I really think Shenmue III will be beautiful. The only problem is that Shenmue can suffer from the other games because the next-gen only starts recently with Uncharted 4, Horizon and Battelfront. The level of 2017 AAA games could change the perception of aesthetics we have now and make Shenmue III looking crap.

But Shenmue 3 can also be the one from the first wave of games which really use the Unreal Engine 4 at its full potential, and perhaps the PS4 hardware and its 8 cores at its best, who knows ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shenmue852 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 pm

we don't care about other games bro! if we want to play something that looks like Uncharted, we'll play Uncharted!

Shenmue will still be uniquely atmospheric, just like how HD renders of Shenmue and Shenmue II look beautiful and atmospheric even when compared to current gen games. and it will only be easier to achieve because UE4 already looks beautiful, even with its stock textures.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:15 am

Of course no one cares pal but you can't underrate the psychological factor. Playing eg. a 2000 game in 2000 was not the same emotion that playing this game at 2003. If you're aware that one game has incredible faces, the drawbacks on the other one can suddenly stick out like a sore thumb (unconsciously or not).

And I don't talk only for us, I share my thought for all the future newcomers. We need graphics to promote Shenmue because it's much easier to encourage people to learn more about the saga and try the game.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:52 am

Nice graphics are nice, but it's not a make-or-break for me in any way, shape, or form. Deadly Premonition, for example - a game from 2010 - pretty much had PS2-era graphics, but it didn't bother me in the slightest; it's still a great game. I'm much more a fan of visual aesthetic, as opposed to graphical fidelity, anyway.

That said, Shenmue III's graphics do look really nice, especially where lighting and clarity is concerned, even at this point in the development cycle. I have no worries :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue III