Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Open World Fatigue and Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:52 am

fittersau wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: I guess the problem with most sandbox games is that, like Naomi Daniels said, a lot of the freedom conflicts with the protagonist's personality. The game's freedom does not add to the gaming experience but makes the game bland and the characters very replaceable and meaningless.

Even more to the point, every npc in Shenmue had a name a personality. Can the same be said for GTA, Assassins Creed, The Witcher, Watch Dogs etc?

Shenmue is an adventure game (Graphic adventure, not all this tomb raider action bullshit), even Yu said that he was really inspired by all those text adventures while doing the game.

Sandbox/open world do mean little.

Pokemon is open world, it's about collecting sprites.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby darksniper » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:37 am

When I think of Shenmue, I don't look at it as an "open world game". It is the only game of it's genre and I hope Shenmue III is more of the same. Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment F.R.E.E.

darksniper has received a thanks from: -=SPZ=-47
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:06 am

phpBB [video]

Older video from KS time appropriate for this topic.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:02 am

i was just reading the old 1-up interview and thought of the this topic when i read the following Suzuki quote;

The problem is that the industry focuses too much on the extravagance of the graphics. Gorgeous graphics equal high quality, but it's expensive to make those games. So it's good that we are not being strapped down by hardware limitations, but games have rules. Shogi has its rules, Chess has chess rules, and soccer has soccer rules -- you play with a team of 11 members and you can't use your hands. And video games are games, as well. So there are rules. We should focus our creativity on making interesting rules in a game instead of focusing on the visuals. The game providers have to shift their focus. And the consumers have to also not look at only the graphics. The players are actually already beginning to realize this.

So the Suzuki style of open world is freedom but within certain rules that are interesting.
http://www.1up.com/features/disappearan ... r.offset=3
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Previous

Return to Shenmue III