Shenmue III spoilers - avoid or embrace?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How hard are you trying to avoid Shenmue III spoilers? (Total votes: 29)

Avoiding completely. I don't want to know any spoilers, even tiny things, to keep it fresh.
21%
Somewhat avoiding. I don't mind learning some details, but don't want major information spoiled.
66%
Not avoiding at all. I'm happy to learn anything I can about the game beforehand.
14%

Shenmue III spoilers - avoid or embrace?

Postby Switch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:22 am

This topic has cropped up on a number of threads already, so I thought it would good to have a single place to discuss.

Given that there are still a couple of years to go before Shenmue III is released, it is inevitable that there will continue to be a steady flow of new info shared / leaked about the game that may or may not have been known before - such as screenshots, video clips, information about the story, character details, events, features of the game etc etc.

The question arises as to how much of the new game you feel comfortable learning about, and where to draw the line. There might be certain information (e.g. major plot points) you absolutely do not want to have spoiled before playing the game for the first time. Is it even practical to avoid spoilers, without going offline altogether?

In my case, since I help out with translating material from Japanese from time to time, I don't have the choice to avoid them, which is fine. Finding out more about the game beforehand won't spoil my enjoyment of the game when it eventually comes out. If anything, I think learning new information here and there and is part of the fun of the pre-release period and actually builds my anticipation for the game.

How are you planning to deal with potential spoilers for the game over the next couple of years?
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Shenmue III spoilers - avoid or embrace?

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:24 am

Trying to dodge major spoilers, but after all these years I'm okay with not being able to replicate going in totally blind like I did for Shenmue and Shenmue II.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby fittersau » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:57 am

Can't help but be drawn to new information... I'm afraid.. But I'll avoid big spoilers if labelled correctly.

Sorta wish I never watched the GDC2014 presentation and read a certain manga.. lol.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:16 am

I can't forget that there were three or four different trailers for Shenmue II, more or less full of spoilers. No mention about Shenmue Premiere which could be considered as the equivalent of the kickstarter progress report.

So it's a serious question and I don't know how to answer. I have confidence in Yu & Cédric to respect fans but they can't realistically hide everything in two years. I sincerely fear the MGS V syndrome that everybody seemed to complain.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby alexh86 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 pm

At this point, we're mostly getting general updates on development so I'm still following it closely. I like seeing the screenshots and it will be really exciting when we first see a little bit of gameplay with HUD and everything. Being a small project with a small team, I imagine spoilers will be minimal. It won't be anything like the big release games that are spoiled a week before launch when copies leak out early or strategy guides are sold ahead of launch. Come launch day, I will not be visiting this site and I will be staying off of most other forums as well until I finish the game!
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86

Postby Sh3ppy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 pm

Definitely trying to avoid major plot/story spoilers, & I purposefully avoid any thread or post that's been tagged as containing this kind of info.

I don't mind seeing general updates, character models, some design updates etc, but I would like to play III knowing as little as possible about the story arc. It will never be like when I first played I & II though. I went into those truly not knowing anything at all about them. Hadn't even seen a screenshot when I borrowed them off a mate.
Sh3ppy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: rambleon11

Postby shredingskin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:55 pm

I don't think anything will leak, or that some real spoilers will get through.

I'll probably play the beta.

But when the game comes out, I'll stay away from forums.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:12 pm

I am fine with the monthly updates and interviews with Yu/Cedric etc... But would like to avoid any more story spoilers at all costs. Yu dropped a huge bombshell in the NicoNico interview and I had a big part of the Shenmue story spoiled. As a moderator keeping tabs on posts, it's going to be hard enough as it is - so hopefully people remember to put *Spoiler* in their subject title as well as using the spoiler tags in their posts if they do share them.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Sonoshee wrote:Yu dropped a huge bombshell in the NicoNico interview and I had a big part of the Shenmue story spoiled.

I wonder if Yu has now changed his thinking about revealing too much during interviews/conferences, as he was careful to censor out plot-related information at his recent China presentation.

Switch has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ryuman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:07 pm

I'm happy to take in whatever Suzuki and co. is willing to reveal, though I share the sentiment that it's better if they keep story talk to a minimum from here on. Stuff like discussing concepts and themes is cool though. Campaign's pretty much done, no need to tantalise anymore.

Honestly, I'm the type that dives into any and all available info available. I'm gonna try staving off that for this.
The resident modding team better take a code of honour to not mine the Hell out of the trial though! [-X
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:58 pm

And have to keep in mind that Shenmue's story has changed. Like Yu Suzuki loves to say, there's the "original story" and what Shenmue is today.

I'll probably watch trailers etc as I don't really mind spoilers anymore. But I have to agree about the Nico Nico's video spoiler. That one was huge and I wasn't expecting him to reveal it so soon. :mrgreen:
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:19 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote: And have to keep in mind that Shenmue's story has changed. Like Yu Suzuki loves to say, there's the "original story" and what Shenmue is today.

I'll probably watch trailers etc as I don't really mind spoilers anymore. But I have to agree about the Nico Nico's video spoiler. That one was huge and I wasn't expecting him to reveal it so soon. :mrgreen:

Until which point the story has changed ? If it's just about quests between keys points of the story, it's not a big deal. But if the change concerns the identity or the will of some characters, that would sound really enigmatic.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: DEVILLE_David
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
DEVILLE_David wrote: And have to keep in mind that Shenmue's story has changed. Like Yu Suzuki loves to say, there's the "original story" and what Shenmue is today.

Until which point the story has changed ? If it's just about quests between keys points of the story, it's not a big deal. But if the change concerns the identity or the will of some characters, that would sound really enigmatic.

Cut chapters, characters etc.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:46 pm

The forums will be a mess if not even mods will want to deal with spoilers.

ANARCHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 pm

DEVILLE_David wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Cut chapters, characters etc.

Has he expressed any desire to release the novel he created for the basis of the story? I'd be interested in reading that, after Shenmue is over and done with.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III