Analog controls for Ryo

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Analog controls for Ryo

Postby SMDzero » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:25 am

Should Ryo run by pressing the analog trigger like on Dreamcast? I liked how on Dreamcast Ryo's walking speed was highly variable based on how far the trigger was pressed.

Maybe this is the best method to control Ryo?

After all Suzuki COULD have let us control Ryo with the DC analog stick and camera movement could have been controlled with the triggers/ d-pad.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Analog controls for Ryo

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:39 am

If i can't control Ryo using the trigger to run and the left and right dpad to steer him, imma rage. ](*,)

I'll say give us an option like the resident evil hd with tank controls or analog controls.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Reprise » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 am

I think they potentially could still offer controls where the player needs to use a trigger shoulder button to run and have it feel modern. There's still quite a few games where you use a trigger button tp sprint, although I can't think of specific names right now...
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:26 am

Just use tilt controls, everybody loves those.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 am

I don't care about tank controls, but I do care about R/L to run look (they even start with the same letters).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby NeoShredder » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:29 am

Said it before- not just for the controls but also for the GUI, Loading Screens, Menu style etc etc they should have a toggle-able "Classic Mode".

NeoShredder has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Don't forget, the sticks can be clicked in on modern controllers. Not that I'd want to click in the stick to run like in MGSV, but it's an option if the triggers are needed for something else.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:53 pm

NeoShredder wrote: Said it before- not just for the controls but also for the GUI, Loading Screens, Menu style etc etc they should have a toggle-able "Classic Mode".

Exactly, the Square-Triangle-Cross-Circle in QTEs is the most horrendous thing to happen in this story.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby FlagshipFighter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:26 am

I felt l.a. noire modernised much of shenmue's controls + how it felt, would be best to emulate that.

Regardless, I'm sure if shenmue 3 goes in another direction, the fans will step in with their own mods xD
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:32 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:Regardless, I'm sure if shenmue 3 goes in another direction, the fans will step in with their own mods xD

Bingo.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Steenkoud » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:19 am

The controls are amazing and need no change, just a bit of tweaking.
Steenkoud
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Call me a heretic, but they definitely need to be changed if there's any hope for Shenmue IV. People aren't going to like a game with controls from 1999.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Reprise » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:32 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Call me a heretic, but they definitely need to be changed if there's any hope for Shenmue IV. People aren't going to like a game with controls from 1999.

Using the trigger to sprint/run isn't exactly old-fashioned and archaic though, is it? They could use dual analogue stick control for movement and the left or right trigger for running. I can imagine it feeling fairly natural and modern. I seriously don't want Shenmue to implement an 'auto-run' system or anything.

Reprise has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:39 pm

Reprise wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: Call me a heretic, but they definitely need to be changed if there's any hope for Shenmue IV. People aren't going to like a game with controls from 1999.

Using the trigger to sprint/run isn't exactly old-fashioned and archaic though, is it? They could use dual analogue stick control for movement and the left or right trigger for running. I can imagine it feeling fairly natural and modern. I seriously don't want Shenmue to implement an 'auto-run' system or anything.

I think they need to work on moving around tight environments and corners. Though, some people make a big deal out of the 'tank controls' but they aren't bad at all in more open areas, which is mostly what Shenmue/II consists of.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Analogue stick + running trigger looks the best compromise but I still prefer the classic tank controls by miles. QTE/Free Battle with the stick just feels weird and I can't see myself switching between tank and stick while I'm playing.

If YSnet-Neilo do things well, the user datas grabbed from the beta should easily fix it anyway (but that point can be argued as beta testers will mainly be old school fans and as developing two different gameplays because of some indecision might imply a waste of time and money so it's not so easy to make a choice).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Next

Return to Shenmue III