Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revamp

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update 51: Poll Results & Shenmue.link revam

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:51 pm

ShenSun wrote: Its such a tricky situation. On one hand, I do think we are stuck with them due to contract obligations. On the other, I think there are clear reoccurring problems with the company that needs addressing, as mentioned earlier http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1126974#p1126974

We all have valid opinions

With regards to the paypal campaign, my view is probably a little extreme as i think the donations should stay open "forever", or at least until we have enough funds to finish the story, or until a publisher / company pick up the series post Shenmue 3.

The majority of us have valid opinions and it's great to talk to people on the same level. That's why I do most of my chatting via private messages now, instead of across the community. It keeps my head level, and stops me flying off the handle when I get too passionate about a Shenmue related topic. I miss posting too, but with this update, I read the comments and just had to put my phone down in disgust at some of the stuff I was reading. I would have banned myself if I gotten involved in some of the comment slanging and AJ bashing retort.

I know AJ need to address some of their actions, and yes they should not go without some accountability. But who's responsibility is that, from an internal standpoint. We can ask questions and they can answer, but there must be someone within the entire Shenmue 3 team who handles these relations. That's where accountability needs to happen. Not slagging off across Shenmue sites, Facebook, Twitter and Kickstarter, whilst feeding the dirt rags at the same time.

I wish David DeVille could have been hired, or even recruited as a conduit to the western fanbase. He is perfectly placed and knowledgeable about those things. But I think it kind of fell on deaf ears. The worst about it is we shouldn't need a conduit because that's what Awesome Japan are supposed to be! Our link to the development team! But it's this team that has been causing the most distress! It is an issue that needs to be tackled, I agree, but I have to say, I have no idea how to go about it. If I meet Cedric next month, I don't really want to bring up any negatives. The guy I feel has already done more than enough just to even say Shenmue 3 exists.

The Paypal, I also hope does indefinitely. At least until the end of 2016. I will happily donate at least another $5000, possibly more depending on how long it's open for. What is there to lose? Nothing. What is there to gain? More stretch goals.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Clickbait: "Could this rift in the community cause Ys Net to not keep those they love?" https://archive.is/g0L13
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Never!

It's the minority of a majority of a minority which are giving off. :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Yeah, David DeVille would have been a great choice. If you ask me, they should hire someone from the community to act as a community manager. It would tackle alot of these issues.

Its up to you whether you want to discuss this with Cedric next month. I say just enjoy the experience. If your conversation happens to go down that avenue, then fair enough. If not, then thats kool too.

I really want that magic maze in some capacity. The name just sounds so epic :)
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:24 pm

No one is giving off, that article is pure bullshit, written in a very unprofessional way.

These kind of people are looking very hard to find shit to throw to the fan.

It's their job I guess.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm

ShenSun wrote: Yeah, David DeVille would have been a great choice. If you ask me, they should hire someone from the community to act as a community manager. It would tackle alot of these issues.

Its up to you whether you want to discuss this with Cedric next month. I say just enjoy the experience. If your conversation happens to go down that avenue, then fair enough. If not, then thats kool too.

I really want that magic maze in some capacity. The name just sounds so epic :)

No, I am skeptical of someone in a role like that, who would only communicate textually and/or via video. He was prime for that, also being able to speak French and Japanese. That's another issue, it's clear things are both grammatically incorrect, and also some stuff being lost in translation.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Reprise » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:02 pm

I completely, 100% agree with you Peter.

Honestly, the negativity really gets me down. I know it might sound ridiculous to some, but I've wanted this game so badly for 16 years. We've waited so long. I hate the negativity, because I can't help but be ecstatic, regardless of any "controversies", that Shenmue 3 is finally happening.

When I see stupid clickbait articles, when I see outrage everywhere and comments like "I hope everyone kicks up a fuss. complains and this game loses all its funding", it really does get me down.

What I'm saying is, this is kind of a sanctuary free from the bullshit, but it's still sad to see negativity, even though I understand fans are anxious.

Sigh. I just need to stay away from Shenmue related stuff on the internet and wait for Shenmue 3's release haha.

Reprise has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, VukBZ2005
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:23 pm

Not all negativities are bad. I consider legitimate the negativity towards those who want or cause harm directly to Shenmue 3 and YSnet. Shenmue 3 is happening but the battle is not yet over if we don't want to get any more regrets in the future. Yu himself refused the help of some companies before meeting Cédric to take care of the idea of the best sequel possible. It's not only a question to get something with Shenmue 3 written on the box.

The only wrong point I'm seeing here is maybe we're unduly offensive against AJ and the no voters for only some rewards and I think that's the negativity you're trying to point out indeed.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:32 pm

To be honest, just looking at neogaf, everyone thinks that Shenmue is not giving paypal backers what they paid for, which is not true.

Part of that is that media is shit, part is that people are stupid, and part of it is communication (and that's AJ fault).

If you look at it, the only thing that actually lacks is the telephone card (and some, make your gatcha toy, name this or that), it's not that bad, but even the way they framed it was weird (even putting the "don't care" option in the poll).

It's not a big deal, but once again, the backlash has been bigger than the reality.

That sucks.

EDIT: also, seems more like they were "morally bound" due to words, because it says in a lot of places "exclusive" or "backer" (and those are in the paypal) and only in some places actually says "kickstarter". It seems that they just worded things differently "on the go" and not really thinking on a later paypal campaign.

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: VukBZ2005, Yokosuka
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Its going to be interesting to see what their official response will be.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:44 pm

ShenSun wrote: Its going to be interesting to see what their official response will be.

"You guys are are whiny bitches.

Sincerely YS."

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:51 pm

ShenSun wrote: Its going to be interesting to see what their official response will be.

At the risk of a bit of criticism, I believe they will apologise and at least attempt to explain their decision. It's not as if they have ignored any criticism in the past which has drawn a bit of media coverage and fan negativity.

They have noted their mistakes in the past, but don't seem to be learning from them and still choosing a poor decision . I can only hope that this time they learn from it, since their relationship with the fans has grown fairly thin.

Peter has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby ShenSun » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:52 pm

ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 pm

ShenSun wrote: Image

Yu's face says it all.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm

ShenSun wrote: Image

Oldie but a goodie (sadly).

I guess this is AJ's interpretation of "running" the campaign.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III