Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Kintor » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am

south carmain wrote: Not really. The textures are low resolution and everything has rough edges due to the polygon limitations. It looked good for its day but it certainly doesn't hold up today from a graphical standpoint.

On the contrary, Shenmue’s graphics have held up really well despite the passage of time. Because when it comes to old games it's not just about textures and polygons, a strong art style it what makes Shenmue stand the test of time. Loading up Disc 4 of Shenmue 2 and walking through Guilin Forest is still one of the most beautiful experiences to be found in all of gaming.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mystere » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Sappharad wrote:
Mystere wrote:It's Bailu Village. Those pics surfaced around 15 years ago IIRC. The basic consensus is that Shenmue II on Dreamcast was originally developed to include it, but was probably cut to give Shenmue II a clearer ending.

No it isn't. It's Miao Village, which we also have loading screens for. The pics came from Shenmue.com in one of the "blog" posts there, and they were of the area cut out between Languishan and meeting Shenhua. It's the explanation as for why the scenery suddenly changes between two areas when you're on the path at the beginning of Disc 4.

Although he confirms it was cut, he doesn't specify where in the flow / geography of the game it was intended to be. Where did you get that confirmation from? I would refer you to this LanDC post from 2016 (8 months after the Kickstarter video you linked to) :

viewtopic.php?f=5&p=1129948

LanDC wrote: That cut village from Shenmue II is not Miao Village. Who knows what it was going to be, but it shouldn't be Miao Village. Apparently, Miao Village will be visited in chapter 8, according to Yu Suzuki from a press conference in Shanghai (CHUAPPX) last November.

Whatever that unused area was, it's not far-fetched that it would have similar structures to what we'll see in Bailu Village, given it's in the same general area.

I suppose it's possible that both are true, and Miao village will be introduced later than originally intended. The Shenmue Wiki confuses things further by claiming that Bailu Village and Miao Village are one and the same:

"Bailu Village (白鹿村), also known as Miao Village (苗村 Miáocūn) in cut content of Shenmue II (Miao refers to the tribe), is a village in Guilin, China."
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby delvec19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

south carmain wrote:
delvec19 wrote: Shenmue's graphics still hold up. Not sure what you're smoking.

Not really. The textures are low resolution and everything has rough edges due to the polygon limitations. It looked good for its day but it certainly doesn't hold up today from a graphical standpoint.

Correction it looked incredible for it's day. There's still a lot of games today where the detail just isn't there.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:33 pm

delvec19 wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Not really. The textures are low resolution and everything has rough edges due to the polygon limitations. It looked good for its day but it certainly doesn't hold up today from a graphical standpoint.

Correction it looked incredible for it's day. There's still a lot of games today where the detail just isn't there.

its attention to detail does hold up today but from a purely visual standpoint I would disagree that it doesn't look outdated. There's nothing wrong with that, all games that didn't use cartoony graphics look outdated today, detail and low resolution textures just don't age well, and there is only so much you can do with the limited amount of polygons the dreamcast can render in an open world.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 pm

no one hyped about psx ??

I think it'll be too soon since the last half baked teaser, but who knows.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby sutoji » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:51 pm

if Shenmue HD is not at PSX then that 2017 rumour is false, next year there's still a chance though
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Sappharad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Mystere wrote:I suppose it's possible that both are true, and Miao village will be introduced later than originally intended. The Shenmue Wiki confuses things further by claiming that Bailu Village and Miao Village are one and the same:

"Bailu Village (白鹿村), also known as Miao Village (苗村 Miáocūn) in cut content of Shenmue II (Miao refers to the tribe), is a village in Guilin, China."

I'll give you that; there's no concrete confirmation of anything, other than an area was cut that wasn't Bailu and the description of it matches those screenshots perfectly. The Wiki stuff confuses it even more, but it's a wiki, so anyone could have put that there and there is also no source cited. But it's very clear from the description of the cut area mentioning the guys practicing on those bars that it's the one in those images and not Bailu.

The common tower structure featured in the mystery village and Bailu from 3 is not necessarily an indication of it being the same area. The purpose of the tower may indicate why it could be necessary to have them in villages found in that region. (Maybe it's just a watch tower to watch for bears / wolves / something?)

The justification for it being the cut area from 2 is that they allegedly didn't develop much of anything beyond what was finished for 2. (I'm referencing the comments made at some point that there was no Dreamcast version of 3 ever in development, they basically stopped when 2 was finished and it wasn't like 2 where they had started that stuff already before reducing the scope of 1. I do not remember where that information comes from.) Why would they add a loading screen for an area if it wasn't planned until Chapter 8 and nothing had been developed for that far out? And why is the scenery consistent with what we've seen already of the area near Languishan? Perhaps it's another story element that got moved so Ryo could meet Shenhua before the end of Shenmue 2?

Either way, the main point of my post was to point out that we already had confirmation that those screenshots were not Bailu but in fact the area cut from 2.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sappharad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 pm

sutoji wrote: if Shenmue HD is not at PSX then that 2017 rumour is false, next year there's still a chance though

I don't think anyone reasonable expected to see anything Shenmue come out of PSX.

For what it's worth, I did seek out the Deep Silver rep at the show but only managed to piss him off. (He said his name was Will, I don't know if he's on Twitter or anything) Was trying to see if they had made any effort on their end to try and get some movement out of Sega, or possibly license the series themselves and commission ports. He was very adamant about the fact that Sega owns the franchise and they just can't go to Sega and say they want to port & release their old games. There is nothing we can get from Deep Silver regarding the previous games and we should continue to bother Sega if we want to see them re-released.

The only reason I brought this up in the first place is because it has been done before. Some weak examples would be Double Fine getting the rights from Disney to remaster Tim's old LucasArts games, or GOG re-releasing old PC games inside of emulator containers like DOSBox. I know of multiple failed attempts to do something similar with a different company and franchise, but I can't talk about those.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:05 am

Perhaps Sega are holding out for the release of Shenmue 3 and will bundle HD versions of the first two games with it. Suzuki already stated this was a possibility.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 am

With the recent announce of Cedric about Suzuki attending the next Magic Monaco, can we say they are on time to release Shenmue definitely on second half 18 as Suzuki told?

Will we see the latest build of the game and a gameplay? Only two months!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby shmoozip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:13 am

south carmain wrote:

this

when u replay the whole thing its pretty much dated. the hands details to arms u can see the blocky polygons. its still nice tho. but it didnt age well. i do appreciate it
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby shmoozip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am

Hazuki00 wrote: With the recent announce of Cedric about Suzuki attending the next Magic Monaco, can we say they are on time to release Shenmue definitely on second half 18 as Suzuki told?

Will we see the latest build of the game and a gameplay? Only two months!

i think the game will be delayed again. cause they are still in this transition of who's gonna do what. many meanwhile left and many came including the outsourcing to lakshya. one can only asume that all characters are recreated and so the facial expressions are recreated as well. it wont be fall 2018 almost sure of that.

by the way many stores are allready doing pre orders and im sure Suzuki is obliged to answer his deadline. but not at the cost of an unfinished product
its 50 50 i guess
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 am

We already know it's coming 2018 because they are going to start promoting the game at the beginning of the year if that's not indicative enough of a confident release then what is?
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby shmoozip » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 am

Kintor wrote:
south carmain wrote: Not really. The textures are low resolution and everything has rough edges due to the polygon limitations. It looked good for its day but it certainly doesn't hold up today from a graphical standpoint.

On the contrary, Shenmue’s graphics have held up really well despite the passage of time. Because when it comes to old games it's not just about textures and polygons, a strong art style it what makes Shenmue stand the test of time. Loading up Disc 4 of Shenmue 2 and walking through Guilin Forest is still one of the most beautiful experiences to be found in all of gaming.

heeeeeey kintor from sega.com im semmie remember me? i was promoting a new sega console. damn those were the days huh. i got banned by julian day before he quit his job purely cause i said quote: why did sega lie to us about pso2

and bam i was banned
never really looked back anymore. r u still active there?
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 am

sutoji wrote: We already know it's coming 2018 because they are going to start promoting the game at the beginning of the year if that's not indicative enough of a confident release then what is?

- Gameplay.
- The backers beta.
- An actual release date.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III