Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Shenmue 3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:07 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: It would be cool if sickness were a part of the game and there was a sickness meter. Ryo needs ways to die besides getting beat up.

Also you should be forced to sleep on the street if you don't have any money. All these strangers just letting Ryo stay in their home is nonsense.

Hey, Ryo never had to eat in all of the two games, don't ruin what we have going here man.
Shenmue 3
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby SickOctopus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Shenmue 3 wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: It would be cool if sickness were a part of the game and there was a sickness meter. Ryo needs ways to die besides getting beat up.

Also you should be forced to sleep on the street if you don't have any money. All these strangers just letting Ryo stay in their home is nonsense.

Hey, Ryo never had to eat in all of the two games, don't ruin what we have going here man.

Fair enough, but he was heavily implied to have eaten one of Tom's hot dogs near the end of the first game. That said, as we never explicitly see him eating said hot dog, there is always the small possibility that he changed his mind in the unseen events following the cutscene.

While I doubt this will have much, if any, bearing on the story as a whole, I do, nevertheless, feel that this is very much a theory worthy of its own thread, to be hotly debated.
SickOctopus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: AJK1986
Steam: AllyK86
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life is Strange

Postby south carmain » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 pm

ShenmueTree wrote:All these strangers just letting Ryo stay in their home is nonsense.

The only character I would consider fitting that label is Shenhua and it was after ryo saved her life :-k
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am

south carmain wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:All these strangers just letting Ryo stay in their home is nonsense.

The only character I would consider fitting that label is Shenhua and it was after ryo saved her life :-k

Across both games, Ryo stays in the homes (and 'home', even though it's merely a ramshackle hideout) of three people with whom he is not exactly a "stranger," but isn't especially well-acquainted with; those people are Xiuying, Ren, and Shenhua, all of whom have good reason to put Ryo up.

I struggle to see how this is "nonsense."
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:03 am

I showed a girl that doesn't play games the intro of Shenmue and then the SIII teaser, the first thing she said it looked more cartoony. I thought that maybe if the didn't play games the newer graphics would be more "realistic", I was wrong.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby south carmain » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:18 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Across both games, Ryo stays in the homes (and 'home', even though it's merely a ramshackle hideout) of three people with whom he is not exactly a "stranger," but isn't especially well-acquainted with; those people are Xiuying, Ren, and Shenhua, all of whom have good reason to put Ryo up.

Xuiying wasn't exactly a stranger, she knew his history and he was working for her at the temple after she tested him. As for ren it wasn't his home but a hideout. Like you said he is "not exactly a stranger" to any of them. No where in my post did I say the word "nonsense" he was the one who used that term, I was arguing that given the situation it made sense.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:00 pm

south carmain wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Xuiying wasn't exactly a stranger, she knew his history and he was working for her at the temple after she tested him. As for ren it wasn't his home but a hideout. Like you said he is "not exactly a stranger" to any of them. No where in my post did I say the word "nonsense" he was the one who used that term, I was arguing that given the situation it made sense.

I was agreeing with your reply to ShenmueTree, and quoting him directly; he was the one who referred to the notion as "nonsense."
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:37 pm

:lol: my bad, functioning on 3 hours of sleep and expecting no one to ever agree with me on the internet ever does that.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 am

south carmain wrote: :lol: my bad, functioning on 3 hours of sleep and expecting no one to ever agree with me on the internet ever does that.

ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 am

shredingskin wrote: I showed a girl that doesn't play games the intro of Shenmue and then the SIII teaser, the first thing she said it looked more cartoony. I thought that maybe if the didn't play games the newer graphics would be more "realistic", I was wrong.

That's an Unreal Engine thing, isn't it? I remember most UE games I've played as pretty "cartoony-looking", such as Street Fighter 5 (Unreal 4), Life is Strange and Dishonored (both Unreal 3). And although I haven't played these games myself, Bloodstained, Days Gone and Tekken 7 all looked pretty cartoony to me, from what I've seen. The only Unreal games which do not look very cartoony I can think of now are Hellblade and A Way Out but I haven't played any of these two yet, so this is only from what I've seen so far.

That said, I really like S3's look so far. Environments are beautiful and I like the most recently shown Ryo model in those screenshots and also some of the NPCs like the old geezer Ryo backfists in the face, the Chiyoumen looking dude Ryo backfists in the extended Gamescom 2017 trailer and the shrine maiden.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Centrale » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:09 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:That's an Unreal Engine thing, isn't it?

Not really... it's art direction, not the engine. Games running on UE4, Unity, or any other modern engine can look as realistic or as stylized as the developers choose.

With regard to Shenmue, I guess it goes back to the discussion we had previously wherein it was revealed that many people in 1999 apparently thought Shenmue was the most realistic game they'd ever seen, even though almost all the textures are painted and many of the characters are stylized. Personally I prefer stylized art direction (Jet Set Radio being my favorite) and it seems to hold up over the years better than attempts at photorealism. But I also appreciate the drive for photorealism because it continues to push the technology.

Centrale has received a thanks from: Rikitatsu
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:58 am

I've always felt that what we've seen of Shenmue III looks like a perfect modern day evolution of Shenmue's graphics. Thinking about a Shenmue game with cutting edge realistic graphics feels a bit off to me, so I'm happy with the direction that they're taking it.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, SheepheadCG
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 am

R.E; Unreal Engine.

It has the tools and systems to achieve "photorealism" as much as any other top-level engine going right now, but just because it's possible doesn't mean it's automatically the right art decision for a game or possible on a budget that fits the desired scale of the game.

Shenmue III could, for example, look super realistic if like Hellblade YSnet used photogrammetry of actors/models, but it's expensive and only really seen in games with big budgets, or limited casts. The idea of unique NPCs would be right out the door, and you'd be seeing the same dozen faces repeated over 200+ characters like Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I also think YSnet would still be hearing complaints about existing characters not looking like themselves to be honest.

If Shenmue is to still be Shenmue, and especially on a budget, then we'll have to accept stylised graphics.

IMO they're hitting a very comfortable groove right now with stuff like this:

Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 am

I actually think Shenmue 3 looks good, so not contesting anything you said, but wasn't Hellblade made on a really small budget?
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby shredingskin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: I actually think Shenmue 3 looks good, so not contesting anything you said, but wasn't Hellblade made on a really small budget?

It pretty much has one single character and it's mostly set on nature (basically you can cheat by scalling rocks/trees/debris, rotating, etc., doesn't need too many different assets).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III