Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby redline » Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Anyone here read the manga Kenji? Shenmue draws a lot from that manga, the protagonist travels to China in search of his grandfather, while learning martial arts in the process... He eventually visits Cangzhou, and Meng Cun (aka Meng Village) it looked like a very interesting place.

phpBB [video]

thats interestng. im a fan of graphic novels. they can be excellent ways of telling a story imo.

talking about manga, there was a guy who started making a shenmue graphic novel last year. it looked
pretty good but i think he gave up http://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50948
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 am

As beautiful as Guilin looks, I'm kind of looking forward to potentially returning to more urban areas in Shenmue 4.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed May 02, 2018 4:33 pm

I hope we see something substantial next month. I'm not too worried about the lack of updates, but I am hoping it's because they're just working really hard.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Wed May 02, 2018 4:50 pm

They're working hard, don't worry.

E3 still feels like a long shot though. If the VA sessions were ongoing at this point I could see it, but showing the game off is going to be so hobbled without that stuff implemented.

Gamescom is a bit more reasonable if we want a story trailer, or a lengthier look at the gameplay like say... some of the Kingdom Come: Deliverance videos were like.

I mean... I suppose something at E3 could happen if it was kind of a sizzle reel styled trailer. Quick cut action sequences, some character reveals, exploring, mini-games, capsule toys, environment shots. I dunno if it'd get on stage, though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm

The fact that YS is this quiet I'd assume is because him and his team has their nose to the grindstone on getting Shenmue III prepared for the "2018 release" that it's scheduled on. Each time I find myself frustrated that we haven't seen an iota of gameplay footage, I remind myself that we're grateful that development on Shenmue III is even happening in the first place.

It feels as if what we've been shown of "Shenmue III" right now is some Project Berkley level prototype footage. Until other key characters are shown (Lan Di, Niao Sun, Ren etc.), or live gameplay footage then any screenshots of Shenmue III is likely very old footage.

Either way I'm indifferent about Shenmue III not showing up at E3. We've got the piece of mind of the first two games to hold over until then so it's whatevs

darksniper has received 2 thanks from: celsowm, Let's Get Sweaty
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby dietsoap » Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 pm

darksniper wrote: Each time I find myself frustrated that we haven't seen an iota of gameplay footage, I remind myself that we're grateful that development on Shenmue III is even happening in the first place.

You're right, sometimes it can be easy to forget how much of a miracle this game existing at all actually is.

To be honest though, I don't want them trying to make the 2018 release at this point. With how little they've shown, it'd probably be best they take as long as they need. The game not being released anytime soon bothers me way, way less than the lack of updates in general.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:12 am

The fact that they don't show off more material of the game doesn't mean that the game is behind schedule. They perfectly could show only some images of the game during the development and release the game having showed only that few images.

They must be working hard, we are one month away from the famous "second half of 2018" that is supposed to be the provisional date when Shenmue 3 is released so they must be very busy trying to accomplish that date.
The perfect scenary would be sega launching Shenmue hd in june and Shenmue 3 in december and I suppose we should know more of the future of Shenmue 3 soon, if they are going to delay it again, I think they have to announce it in june or july, like they did the last year or, in case they release it in time, to announce the month Shenmue 3 sees the light :-k
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 am

I'd disagree about not wanting them to try making a 2018 release.

Unless you are a very wealthy independent developer, you're always going to be up against a running clock and have to push to meet what your current projections are. Whether they make 2018 or not is another question, but a delay is really only just winding that clock back a little bit more. They still need to charge ahead and work like there's no chance in hell they'll be afforded another delay.

Crunch in game development sucks shit, but the business model seems to rely on it.

And don't worry about the amount we've been shown, or not shown as the case may be. We had our peek behind the curtain as backers, but it was obviously never the full story.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu May 03, 2018 6:43 am

The release date will slip once more to Q1 2019. Guaranteed.

I hope Sega holds off on the release of the HD versions until the end of this year so that we’re not having to wait too long between games.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby dietsoap » Thu May 03, 2018 8:40 am

Spaghetti wrote: I'd disagree about not wanting them to try making a 2018 release.

Unless you are a very wealthy independent developer, you're always going to be up against a running clock and have to push to meet what your current projections are. Whether they make 2018 or not is another question, but a delay is really only just winding that clock back a little bit more. They still need to charge ahead and work like there's no chance in hell they'll be afforded another delay.

Crunch in game development sucks shit, but the business model seems to rely on it.

And don't worry about the amount we've been shown, or not shown as the case may be. We had our peek behind the curtain as backers, but it was obviously never the full story.

Oh, that's not what I meant. I agree they should be aiming for 2018 so as to enter crunchmode and get as much done as possible, but I think they should delay to 2019 once they hit whatever date they set their sights on for gold. Perhaps everyone but the top of management should think they really are going to ship in 2018. I want them to work their hardest, but I also want them to have adequate time to polish all the rough edges up.
dietsoap
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Enigma » Thu May 03, 2018 1:14 pm

This is a bit early to be asking, but assuming Shenmue 3 sells well, when do you think we might start hearing news about Shenmue 4?

A year? Two years?
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby darksniper » Thu May 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Enigma wrote: This is a bit early to be asking, but assuming Shenmue 3 sells well, when do you think we might start hearing news about Shenmue 4?

A year? Two years?

With the momentum that Shenmue has been getting and Sega finally acknowledging the series again, I wouldn't be surprised if Shenmue IV is being joint developed with III like they did with the first two games. With proper funding from Sega and other investors, it's a possibility. Highly doubtful, but it would be nice if we got a quick turnaround on Shenmue IV like they did from I to II.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Maybe getting a little ahead of yourself with the "Shenmue IV being developed concurrently alongside III talk"...

We're a long way from how bad things used to be for the series, but we're not out of the woods yet.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: darksniper, mjq jazz bar, SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeNE » Sun May 06, 2018 8:35 am

This Year feels like back in the 90s, were the E3 was in Atlanta and big Games was revealed and were big surprises. I have this feel with Shenmue III now. It would be awesome when Shenmue III would be on E3, but i don't know it. And not to knowing anything is a good feel to me.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am

Last year they announced in advance that they were not going to be at E3, I wonder if this year they'll announce it again if they are/not going to be there.

We've talked already about recording voices starting right away so I don't think they are on time to have something done by the E3 so I am more incline to think they are going to be at gamescom again.

However, this is probably the last E3 before Shenmue 3 sees the light of the day so maybe they surprises us being there...everything is possible.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III