Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:12 pm

No, but they're not particularly comparable considering the NPCs in either of those games are largely just crowd filler you can't really interact with outside bumping into (Yakuza), or tackling for funsies (Sleeping Dogs).

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Reprise
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Spaghetti wrote: No, but they're not particularly comparable considering the NPCs in either of those games are largely just crowd filler you can't really interact with outside bumping into (Yakuza), or tackling for funsies (Sleeping Dogs).

Not to mention they are literally clones of each other.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, Spaghetti
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Supa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:33 pm

Didn't Shenhua state in Shenmue II that Bailu only had around 50 people? I can't remember if Yu has talked about the size of Bailu in any interviews.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Supa wrote: Didn't Shenhua state in Shenmue II that Bailu only had around 50 people? I can't remember if Yu has talked about the size of Bailu in any interviews.

I can't remember the interview he said it in, but I think Yu compared it to Dobuita.

Whether he means the singular Dobuita map, or the whole of that area of the game (everything except the harbour, basically) is unknown. Even in the first case, Bailu will probably feel bigger than Dobuita because of it being open plan, rather than a shopping street with some loops and branches.

In any case it looks a reasonable size from what we've seen in the prototype and pre-Alpha footage/screens from last year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:00 pm

I recall an interview with IO Interactive regarding the Hitman NPC count, which was 300 per map. It would be incredible if Shenmue could reach that number.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:17 pm

I wonder if the Bailu village we get in Shenmue 3 will be like these pictures of the cut Bailu village from Shenmue 2.

BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 pm

That wasn't Bailu though, was it? I thought at some point it was reasonably assumed to be the Miao Village (which we know about from the unused loading screen) cut from the Guilin section somewhere between it starting, and Ryo meeting Shenhua?

Either way it does look like they're carrying over a lot of the design for III's Bailu either way. Straw huts, bamboo racks, the watchtower, the wooden fences, etc.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Supa » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Those weren't Bailu, they were posted on Muecas as cut areas before reaching Guilin, I believe. See this topic and its links: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49676&hilit=miao#p1129948

Supa has received 2 thanks from: Peter, Spaghetti
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Haruto » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 am

There was a time I thought those pics were Shenmue III.
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 am

KidMarine wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Choubu alone will have around 200 NPCs (Shenmue 1 had 250 in its entirety). It's gonna be somewhere between 1 and 2 in scale.

Is there a source for this? All I remember him saying is that they upped the NPC number after expanding the project scope last year, I don't remember him specifying Chobou.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/08/4gamer-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html

After reading again this interview, about flashbacks, we have already seen in the last pictures of the kickstarter update that they are remaking some scenes of the final part of Shenmue 2 so I think Suzuki will remake all the flashbacks scenes of Shenmue 1 & 2 with the Shenmue 3 engine. I think using recorded videos of previous Shenmue with the old engine wouldn't look well.

So I bet Suzuki will remake all scenes with the new engine, it'll be interesting seeing previous scenes with the current engine.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:09 am

Hazuki00 wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote:
KidMarine wrote: Choubu alone will have around 200 NPCs (Shenmue 1 had 250 in its entirety). It's gonna be somewhere between 1 and 2 in scale.

Is there a source for this? All I remember him saying is that they upped the NPC number after expanding the project scope last year, I don't remember him specifying Chobou.

http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/08/4gamer-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html

After reading again this interview, about flashbacks, we have already seen in the last pictures of the kickstarter update that they are remaking some scenes of the final part of Shenmue 2 so I think Suzuki will remake all the flashbacks scenes of Shenmue 1 & 2 with the Shenmue 3 engine. I think using recorded videos of previous Shenmue with the old engine wouldn't look well.

So I bet Suzuki will remake all scenes with the new engine, it'll be interesting seeing previous scenes with the current engine.

I think they'll use old models for flashbacks. But I think they'll remake Guilin in the new engine with new models. That's what I hope, at least.

Supa wrote: Those weren't Bailu, they were posted on Muecas as cut areas before reaching Guilin, I believe. See this topic and its links: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49676&hilit=miao#p1129948

Ah, sorry. I didn't know.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby WildManofBorneo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Now that the Shenmue 1+2 HD remakes are officially a go, I wouldn't be surprised if the flashbacks are altogether scrapped.

The primary aim of the flashbacks was to provide a backstory to newcomers of the series, however as the precursors have become available for the PS4 the relevancy of this feature has become somewhat negated.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Supa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm

I think they should just include the Shenmue I Digest Movie from Shenmue II, and then make one of those for Shenmue II. Easy peasy.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby swimingdeer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 pm

But, what if the flashback are told from another perspective than in SH1&2 ?

I read that Yu said in some interviews he would like to explore differences in perceptions.
So, alternate perspective flashbacks would not only recall event,
but also paint them in a new light for players that went through SH1&2.

swimingdeer has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
swimingdeer
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:22 pm

I think you might be getting confused with the character perspective system there.

That system is supposedly only for a single event in the game, where you can switch your character and effectively have the rules of the game world change because you're playing a different person with different solutions/interactions based on their mindset.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III