Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:27 am

I don't honestly think that another Kickstarter would work.

Shenmue III needs to be successful (enough).

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Reprise
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 am

A Shenmue IV Kickstarter would not have the same pull as the Shenmue III Kickstarter, particularly if III isn't strong enough on its own to sell--especially if it is anything less than great. Shenmue III was the perfect storm of 15 years of waiting & the great E3 announcement. Of course we'd all back it, but the randoms who backed 3 because of hype & interest would not be there. I also think Kickstarter has lost some appeal after a few less-than-perfect games were released through the platform.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, Reprise
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby WildManofBorneo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm

The_Intruder wrote:
WildManofBorneo wrote:
redline wrote: has there been any talk on how shenmue4 will be funded? will it be another kickstarter campaign?

I don't suspect there will be a need if Shenmue III sales numbers are strong.

Shenmue I sold 2.4 million copies globally with a Dreamcast user base of 9 million. As of 2018 the PS4 user base is approaching 80 million, meaning that Shenmue III sales have far greater potential.

I think Shenmue 1 sold 1.2 million copies worldwide not 2.4m.

You're correct, my mistake.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Reprise » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I also think Kickstarter has lost some appeal after a few less-than-perfect games were released through the platform.

That and 99% of Kickstarter projects get delayed a million times and come out years later than they're supposed to... *cough* Shenmue 3 included *cough*
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm

Reprise wrote:That and 99% of Kickstarter projects get delayed a million times and come out years later than they're supposed to... *cough* Shenmue 3 included *cough*

Games in general get delayed a lot these days, it's not anything to do with Kickstarter. Shenmue III has had the same or even less delays than some notable games of this gen. I would perhaps even argue the first delay as a write-off because you're forced to put a delivery window when you launch the KS, and doesn't account for making over triple the amount you asked for.

As for perceived quality of Kickstarter games... it's kind of a fallacy engineered by a bad narrative. It's just a funding platform, not a publisher or a developer. You could argue Kickstarter funding alone is not enough to get games to live up to their full potential, and so publishers with additional funding need to step in to elevate the product, but many of the arguments are just Kickstarter = bad.

I think that might be down to how the failures/sub-par results are very clearly sensationalised as "KICKSTARTER FAILURES" but the good/successful games have their crowdfunded roots heavily downplayed. There's a fairly robust list of Kickstarted games that have turned out fine, and quite a few people might not even know they were initially crowdfunded.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm

I completely agree with you, Spahgetti, but I definitely think a Shenmue IV Kickstarter approaching the world record-breaking performance of Shenmue III too unlikely to consider. We just need to hope 3 sells very well. Obviously, I'm frequently wrong and this is just my opinion, so your mileage may vary.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Nah I mean, I don't think a IV Kickstarter will do as well as III in today's climate either. The bad narrative has really damaged crowdfunding games, which is worse overall for the landscape. It might recover one day, but probably not.

Luckily, even back in 2015/2016 it sounded like from Cedric that the plan was to make the series sustainable enough that they wouldn't have to crowdfund another. Like III was getting the engine started on a car or something. If I & II, and III do well enough for SEGA/Deep Silver I could easily see there being no need to go back to Kickstarter to finish the series.

All we need to do as fans is protect, promote, and support Shenmue products the best we can as a community.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske, Supa, The_Intruder
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Another Kickstarter absolutely won't get the job done. Aside from being given a platform on Sony's stage at E3, the success of the crowdfunding campaign was down to the "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, IT'S SHENMUE MOTHERFUCKING THREE!" factor. You can't repeat that. The ball is rolling, the kickstarting is done; the series now needs to prove itself the traditional way and attract a publishing deal for each new sequel - from Deep Silver, Sega themselves, or whoever.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby darksniper » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:42 pm

It really depends on how much of a mindfuck the inevitable cliffhanger to Shenmue III is. In an ideal world, Sega would give Yu the go ahead to start on Shenmue IV shortly after III is done.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 am

I agree that kickstarting another Shenmue would probably be very difficult. I think the reason Shenmue 3 had the success it did with kickstarter was because fans like us were so vocal for years constantly asking Yu Suzuki and Sega over the years as well as constantly putting shenmue in the spotlight via gaming magazines, polls, etc.

If we consider the past, the general market was very harsh towards Shenmue II. I mention shenmue II because after the game was canceled for Dreamcast in the North American market, Microsoft was given the rights to have it as an exclusive on the Xbox and was supposed to market the game, there was very little marketing and the exposure the game had was very poor. If you recall, gaming magazines, xbox magazine (and their terrible demo), and G4tv or tech tv all criticized Shenmue while bashing and tearing apart everything regarding Shenmues legacy.

Shenmue IIx on the xbox was a perfect opportunity to use the xboxs hardware and really introduce new fans to the series, sadly I think the acquisition was to prevent Dreamcast owners in the US from having the opportunity to buy the game and also to prevent Sony from getting their hands on a potential exclusive during a time when Microsoft was still struggling against Sonys PS2.

During the end of 2002 when Shenmue II came out for Xbox, I attempted to introduce friends with no success and lack of interest, they were too interested in games like Halo, DOA, or any other game that you could lack any form of attention span.

I think today is not much different in certain respects...Shenmue 3 is continuing what we the fans wanted to continue the story, at one point several years ago right here on shenmuedojo, there was a discussion that perhaps the game could be finished in the form of a book as all hope had been lost of a sequel.

We can keep the game a cult classic with the possibility Shenmue 4 may not exist and as much as I hate to say it, I think we need to find ways to introduce the Shenmue series to people who may have never heard of the game or introduce it to those who are into similar games outside the mainstream (think kingdom come deliverance). Now it is so much easier to expose people to indy projects via twitch, youtube, reddit, twitter, youtube compared to 16 years ago most people still had a nokia black and white brick phone.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:30 am

PILMAN wrote:and as much as I hate to say it, I think we need to find ways to introduce the Shenmue series to people who may have never heard of the game or introduce it to those who are into similar games outside the mainstream

Yes, this. Don't hate saying it, say it as often as it takes.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Haruto » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:34 am

On the plus side with UE4 and the assets made they can possibly flip a good few of them to recycle for SIV. Could take less time and money. I realize they likely need to make some new once for new locations and characters (unless they re skin)
Haruto
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:43 am

What I'm wondering, assuming Shenmue IV will come not long after Shenmue III is on which system it would come out.
PS4 & PS5 or new console generation only?

From what I've heard, we are 2-3 years away from PS5.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kyo_JP » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:36 am

I don't think I would put money on a Shenmue IV Kickstarter, the Kickstarter name itself is to kick start a project, now is rolling, now depend on the developing team and the IP owners, and as someone said before the hype effect of 2015 E3 is gone, so it would not be succesful
Kyo_JP
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:05 am

I have been playing vampyr for a while, as you know, it's made in unreal Engine 4 like Shenmue 3.

I' ve been very surprised about its performance. I have got an old pc with amd fx 6350, 4gb ram and a gtx 650ti and most of the time runs very smooth. This lead me to think Shenmue 3 will be optimised and won't need an ultimate pc. Besides we know Suzuki will release the game well optimized and tested.

I've tried some more games made with UE4 and most of them performs very well.

By the way, the story and environments of vampyr are cool!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III