Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:07 am

Maybe I'm cynical about games journos, but part of me thinks some will shit on the game regardless. Doesn't matter what PR moves are pulled, or how good the game actually may be, it'll be a matter of ego, a morbid desire to slaughter a "sacred cow", and to say "I told you so".

Some of those people are genuinely m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e.

Spaghetti has received 4 thanks from: darksniper, Mr.Jigen, ShenGCH, Supa
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Reprise » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:39 am

Spaghetti wrote: Maybe I'm cynical about games journos, but part of me thinks some will shit on the game regardless. Doesn't matter what PR moves are pulled, or how good the game actually may be, it'll be a matter of ego, a morbid desire to slaughter a "sacred cow", and to say "I told you so".

I don't think your cynical at all, sadly this definitely does happen. It's happened before with games I enjoyed (ZombiU is one example of a 9/10 game for me that got pooed on) and hell it happened with the original Shenmue.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has different opinions and tastes, but I do think a lot of gaming journalists have an agenda... bad reviews of loved franchises with hardcore fans also ensures they gain a lot of attention in the comments and generate clicks...

Because of what Shenmue 3 means to many gamers and because it was crowdfunded, some parts of the media have their knives out ready.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 am

Spaghetti wrote: Maybe I'm cynical about games journos, but part of me thinks some will shit on the game regardless. Doesn't matter what PR moves are pulled, or how good the game actually may be, it'll be a matter of ego, a morbid desire to slaughter a "sacred cow", and to say "I told you so".

It's not cynicism; it's empirical. The bar for games journalism is so low it's practically a manhole cover, so expecting Roger Ebert levels of critique is like searching for chicken teeth.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 am

Shenhua's voice actor has updated her blog - https://ameblo.jp/palblog37/entry-12383933163.html

It's not much, but there's another little image of Shenmue III on the screen

KidMarine has received 7 thanks from: BlueMue, Centrale, darksniper, Jibby, Reprise, Spaghetti, Supa
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Centrale » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:23 am

KidMarine wrote: It's not much, but there's another little image of Shenmue III on the screenImage

They're walking out of the cave! :shock:

Centrale has received a thanks from: WildManofBorneo
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, their egoism is astounding, they sit high atop ivory towers and get to decide what is good and what is bad. This started out as noble of course however, it has been corrupted. It's already been somewhat proven that they can be paid to give a good review and give good reception to turds (Mass Effect Andromeda). Plus, many allow personal politics to cloud their view, they have cased to be journalists for a very long time now. I put way more trust into independent YouTuber's although I still loathe some of them too, like Jim Sterling.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Sappharad » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Centrale wrote:They're walking out of the cave! :shock:

I don't think so.
The person whose legs are on the right isn't wearing shoes, and has long dark pants with no light brown dress. I don't think that's Shenhua?
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:08 am

Sappharad wrote:I don't think so.
The person whose legs are on the right isn't wearing shoes, and has long dark pants with no light brown dress. I don't think that's Shenhua?

I dunno if it's just me, but I think I can see shoes.

It looks like Shenhua's revised outfit rather than her Shenmue II look.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr.Jigen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24 am

It's hard to tell where they are, I think they're still using unfinished placeholder models here, or it's at a later point in the game and whoever is playing chose different clothing.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Sappharad wrote:I don't think so.

I dunno if it's just me, but I think I can see shoes.

It looks like Shenhua's revised outfit rather than her Shenmue II look.

I agree with Spaghetti. I'm confident that the person on the right side is Shenhua with Chinese flat shoes on. Ryo apparently also changed his look in the cave, as he now is cuffing his jeans and I can't even see the whiteness of his old sneakers anymore on that pic.

EDIT: Never mind. What appears to be jeans cuffings are actually his white sneakers on a closer inspection. LOL

The revised Shenhua's outfit seems to match as the yellow long overall (it looked like a dress) she was sporting in Shenmue 2 is now really short, not covering even her butt.

Last edited by sand4fish on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:23 am

Mr.Jigen wrote: It's hard to tell where they are, I think they're still using unfinished placeholder models here, or it's at a later point in the game and whoever is playing chose different clothing.

It's probably the second cutscene according to the number in the upper right, and it looks a lot like the revised design of the cave.

But you're right that this is unfinished, you can even just about make out the "this part is under development, assets are tentative or placeholder" line overlaid at the bottom of the screen.

Could just be using whatever the default Shenhua model is for the rest of the game, or they intend to do a minor retcon of Shenhua's outfit. Not an enormous bother if they do that, IMO.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:39 am

A second unsubtle hint regarding Gamescom from Cedric, if anybody missed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/1010545229181710336
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:04 am

Spaghetti wrote: A second unsubtle hint regarding Gamescom from Cedric, if anybody missed it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/1010545229181710336

I hope you are right and they show at last gameplay of the game.

Apart from this idea, I thought Cedric could fly to japan in one of those visit he pays to see the development of the game and that could be the meaning of this hint. It could be anything!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I hope you are right and they show at last gameplay of the game.

Apart from this idea, I thought Cedric could fly to japan in one of those visit he pays to see the development of the game and that could be the meaning of this hint. It could be anything!

Not discounting that he could be heading to Japan for a visit/business trip, but after his other Gamescom tease it's starting to get quite transparent that there are plans in place.

I'm hoping for gameplay too, but we could get anything at this stage. I think it'll be the kick off of promoting the game though, rather than debuting a progress video.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby darksniper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:25 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:I hope you are right and they show at last gameplay of the game.

Not discounting that he could be heading to Japan for a visit/business trip, but after his other Gamescom tease it's starting to get quite transparent that there are plans in place.

I'm hoping for gameplay too, but we could get anything at this stage. I think it'll be the kick off of promoting the game though, rather than debuting a progress video.

Does Sony have a huge presence at Gamescom? I'm curious on if/how they will be assisting in terms of advertisement and exposure for Shenmue III. Hopefully an official trailer will appear on their Youtube page.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III