Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:46 am

SledgeNE wrote: Is it possible that we will see gameplay of Shenmue III this year? I hope for that!

Yes. I would not be surprised if we're only a couple months away from that point, actually.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SledgeNE
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 am

SledgeNE wrote: Is it possible that we will see gameplay of Shenmue III this year? I hope for that!

We know for a fact that a playable build of Shenmue 3 does exist.
https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 5869031424

The question is, when will Yu Suzuki and the marketing team consider that the time to show it to the public has come?

What I mean is that we don't need to worry about the fact that we didn't see gameplay footage so far. It doesn't mean that the development isn't going well and it doesn't necessarily mean that we are extremely far from a Shenmue 3 release.

In my opinion it's really a matter of showing the game in the best conditions at the best time.

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Hazuki00, Let's Get Sweaty, SledgeNE
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:40 am

For the moment I'd like to see tomorrow the developer's video they have been talking about for months if they update the kickstarter page. There are tons of topics they haven't talked about yet, gameplay the most interesting.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 am

Part of me wonders if that was quietly nixxed, or if it was a phrasing mix-up and they meant the interview with Yu uploaded on Christmas.

I won't mourn it too much if the idea of an upcoming development video fades into the ether. I don't think we'll go through this Summer without seeing Shenmue III at a games event, so I don't think we'll be starved of new video content in the long term.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby vnisanian2001 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Why no Xbox One version? Wouldn't it make sense since the button layout is identical to that of the Dreamcast controller?
vnisanian2001
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:40 pm

vnisanian2001 wrote: Why no Xbox One version? Wouldn't it make sense since the button layout is identical to that of the Dreamcast controller?

Sony is the marketing partner, so there's some kind of exclusivity deal there even if it's limited.

For what it's worth, Yu did approach Microsoft regarding Shenmue III before the Kickstarter, but apparently they weren't offering a deal as good as Sony.

Phil Spencer paid a lot of lip service to Shenmue and the fans prior to III hitting KS, but it seems it was just that; lip service.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:40 pm

I'd be terribly worried if Microsoft had gotten exclusivity for Shenmue 3. They've canceled their fair share of interesting Japanese exclusives in the last couple years.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby swimingdeer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

It would be great if Shenmue 3 is ported to other console after a while.

Sony console exclusivity is a little unclear to me :
Is it forever ? If no, how long does it last ?

Having SH3 done in unreal engine is a good thing to make it cross platform, if I'm not mistaken.
So, it would be a waste to indefinitely restrict the game to Sony hardware and PC.

However, I understand that it may be part of the business agreement,
to not disclose the exact terms of this console exclusivity.
swimingdeer
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:54 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: I'd be terribly worried if Microsoft had gotten exclusivity for Shenmue 3. They've canceled their fair share of interesting Japanese exclusives in the last couple years.

Microsoft wouldn't have the power to cancel Shenmue III if the positions were flipped and they'd offered YSnet the marketing/publishing deal instead of Sony.

Shenmue III can't really be cancelled in the conventional top-down sense by anybody, because of how the funding comes from diversified sources - none of which have any leverage over the IP.

swimingdeer wrote: It would be great if Shenmue 3 is ported to other console after a while.

Sony console exclusivity is a little unclear to me :
Is it forever ? If no, how long does it last ?

Having SH3 done in unreal engine is a good thing to make it cross platform, if I'm not mistaken.
So, it would be a waste to indefinitely restrict the game to Sony hardware and PC.

However, I understand that it may be part of the business agreement,
to not disclose the exact terms of this console exclusivity.

Most marketing deals last for a year at the minimum. You can see marketing deals expiring with stuff like Hellblade and No Man's Sky launching on Xbox soon.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:38 am

I just took a look at kickstarter's page and the comments section is a madness as always. Same people as always talking same shit as always...

In other order of things, I played for a while the game Sleeping Dogs and has some resemblances of Shenmue but I got bored of it soon. There aren't games today that attract my attention today, just a few, but only Shenmue gets me as hyped as when I was a child, I await for this game with much ilusion (listening Shenmue OST while I write this words).

I can't wait to have the game in my hands, I'll shed a tear for sure..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:56 am

Have you played Yakuza 0?

It's got nothing on Shenmue, but it's still fantastic. I put nearly 80 hours into it and could've probably kept playing for another 80, but I don't really care about mahjong and shogi... and that's pretty much all that's left for me.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby spud1897 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:21 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: Have you played Yakuza 0?

It's got nothing on Shenmue, but it's still fantastic. I put nearly 80 hours into it and could've probably kept playing for another 80, but I don't really care about mahjong and shogi... and that's pretty much all that's left for me.

I loved Yakuza 0. Thoroughly enjoyed it. You can see the Shenmue influences in the game but at the same time it is its own title. Great story telling and fund side missions. Already looking forward to 6.

Should keep me going until Shenmue 3 arrives.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:26 pm

I don't have a PS4, the last console I had was the 360 but I do like the art and game type of Yakuza, I'd give it a chance If I had the console.
For the moment, besides Shenmue 3, the only one that I'm looking fordward is Monster boy and cursed kingdom. I know it doesn't have anything to do with Shenmue but I always liked that saga.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I just took a look at kickstarter's page and the comments section is a madness as always. Same people as always talking same shit as always...

In other order of things, I played for a while the game Sleeping Dogs and has some resemblances of Shenmue but I got bored of it soon. There aren't games today that attract my attention today, just a few, but only Shenmue gets me as hyped as when I was a child, I await for this game with much ilusion (listening Shenmue OST while I write this words).

I can't wait to have the game in my hands, I'll shed a tear for sure..

Deadly Premonition: X360/PC
Yakuza 0: PS4
Shadow of Destiny: PSP/PS2/Xbox/PC

To a lesser extent:
Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim
Life Is Strange 1
Animal Crossing

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Hazuki00
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:06 pm

:) Thanks Yokosuka! In that list I only tries Skyrim the other ones are not of my taste...only Yakuza will do it.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III